Author Topic: '' SIDE SWITCHING""  (Read 2479 times)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Re: '' SIDE SWITCHING""
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 09:55:01 AM »
If I'm on the side with the majority of players in that arena, there are very few red guys to fight against - and those you can find already have 3-10 green guys on them screaming "Mine! Mine! Mine!".  Where's the fight in that?

Now, switch sides to one of those lower-numbered sides.  You now have more red guys out there, so they're easier to find.  When you find them, the chances of 3-10 green guys being around killshooting themselves to try to get that red guy are very slim.  You now have found a fight.

I wasn’t questioning changing sides to balance numbers.   You said you changed sides for two reasons, one to balance sides, I understand that the other reason was to “find a fight”?  Perhaps I just misunderstood the intent of your meaning. 

The only valid reason to change sides would be to balance sides.  Being a Knight I can’t remember the last time I was on that Knights hand a number advantage.  But I am playing less and less. So perhaps it’s just happenstance.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2010, 09:57:47 AM »
I wasn’t questioning changing sides to balance numbers.   You said you changed sides for two reasons, one to balance sides, I understand that the other reason was to “find a fight”?  Perhaps I just misunderstood the intent of your meaning. 

The only valid reason to change sides would be to balance sides.  Being a Knight I can’t remember the last time I was on that Knights hand a number advantage.  But I am playing less and less. So perhaps it’s just happenstance.

Well you can have the least numbers and not have a good fight going on. You are right knights are outnumbered most of the time but that doesn't mean that there is always people attacking knights.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 10:08:52 AM »
I also switch arenas a lot...so I guess I'm not that wrapped up in "country loyalty" or pay attention to which side is usually outnumbered, or crapped upon by the other sides, or the state of "teh warz".

I just want to spawn a plane or GV, and fight against reasonable odds.  To me it's the fight more than the outcome, but winning now and then is a good thing.   :aok
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 10:48:46 AM »
If I'm on the side with the majority of players in that arena, there are very few red guys to fight against - and those you can find already have 3-10 green guys on them screaming "Mine! Mine! Mine!".  Where's the fight in that?

Now, switch sides to one of those lower-numbered sides.  You now have more red guys out there, so they're easier to find.  When you find them, the chances of 3-10 green guys being around killshooting themselves to try to get that red guy are very slim.  You now have found a fight.

Oh, and since you're now on "the other side", the side you just left now has one more enemy with which to find and fight against.  Which also changes the ratio of green-to-red guys, making it a little less 3-10 guys ganging the one and only enemy on the map.  Which to me seems like would result in better fights for everyone.

...and what Kilo said.   :D
Amen.

One downside to switching sides to get to the big red dar bar is when it turns into a big green dar bar upon switching to country B.

It is up to individual ethics on the question of what to to with intelligence such as cv locations and mission objectives.  Your mileage may vary.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 10:50:52 AM »

Sometimes the side with the least numbers has no fights. 

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2010, 11:03:43 AM »
Knits mass for a mission with country messages describing mission, objective, and take off time.  (Yes, knits actually managed 15 or so players for a mission Sunday, thanks Jayro) Within minutes of take off, the flights of bombers are picked off by Fighters, which were clearly alerted to the mission and had the ALT and E advantage to overwhelm the mission (NOE BTW).  So, what to do with alleged spying/side changing I suppose is the question?

1.  It is your quarter, play as you wish. Only you can judge your own character.  
2.  Players do enjoy coming together and enjoying the success of taking a base, doing something cooperatively if you will.  A collective effort does yield some reward beyond landing kills in a singular sense.  Folks who work the system to their advantage just detract from others online experience.  
3.  PMing will always allow one side to chat to another so removing/limiting TS, SQD VOX, etc are all moot points.
4.  There will always be the cupcakes who see a mission, jump sides, and then pick so they can stoke their own pathetic egos.  
5.  I frequently change sides to wing with other pilots whom I respect/enjoy their company since my squad is very small.  

My 2 cents:

1.  Don't be a cupcake.  Maturity lacks in so many players and is evident in their X-Box live approach to AH.
2.  There is nothing HTC can do about it.  Any modification to the current structure would just make even more people pissy.
3.  Fly in the DA.  The current MA structure has nearly ended my reasons to play the game (success=horde).  At least in the DA there are many fantastic sticks who will give you the quick fight and laugh with you all day about it.  There is no stress in the DA because you know the crew there is mixed.  You will always have your HO guys who are new.  You will always have your "Picktards" who are good sticks who enjoying picking due to either laziness or something sadistic, and you have your just good down to earth folks who enjoy a good clean fight.  
4.  Never let the man get you down doc.... everytime I see the swampys on and no 65th guys are on, I generally come on over.  I would hate to lose that option.

---- Crusader

If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline RoGenT

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2010, 11:49:01 AM »
 :noid :noid :lol
:salute Your fellow pony dweeb today!
Offical Knight Morale Officer
#1 Punk Knight on Vtards Hit List
Proud Pig!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2010, 11:50:35 AM »
he only valid reason to change sides would be to balance sides.  Being a Knight I can’t remember the last time I was on that Knights hand a number advantage.  But I am playing less and less. So perhaps it’s just happenstance.

2 days ago I switched to the the Bish which had most players online, but still were outnumbered locally at that time, because Rooks & Knights weren't fighting each other at the moment. So I was still "balancing" while hopping to the side with most players.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2010, 12:11:38 PM »
I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY RALLY REALLY REALLY. no really. wish. this is the wish section right? yes? no, Yes? that side switching was done away with. pick a side stay there the tour switch to another side if you wish after the tour. to much funny crap goes on. the few that ruin it for the many that do not. or at least make so you have no way to talk to your sqd if in other country. no pms, no sqd chat, nothing zip, cone of silents.your cut off super  stud, jacko latern.most guys will figure it out.. opps was that a jab with the old knife?. but really it does get old. be damn if you want to run any missions and such. but I ramble on. me getting so sleepy. must get sleep. nite nite all. :D :x

I give this one very low marks on the whine scale, it lacks originality and passion and just over all a very poor whine.

ack-akc
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2010, 12:14:58 PM »
I’m trying to understand so please don’t take this the wrong way, how does changing sides “find fights”?

Because you can be on one side and not have any action happening on either front and you look at the map and you see some action going on but it's between the other two countries.  You then switch to one of those countries and now you've found a fight.  Very simple concept to understand.

ack-ack

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2010, 12:16:51 PM »

The only valid reason to change sides would be to balance sides. 

No, it's not.  Maybe you'll figure it out eventually but since you've claimed to be have been playing a long time, if you haven't figured it out by now I doubt you'll ever will.  Enjoy.

ack-ack

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2010, 12:42:33 PM »
No, it's not.  Maybe you'll figure it out eventually but since you've claimed to be have been playing a long time, if you haven't figured it out by now I doubt you'll ever will.  Enjoy.

ack-ack

It’s not a claim it’s a statement of fact.  It’s ok to disagree with my thoughts or comments on a subject , however I get the impression that you are easing into personal attack mode.  Please don’t go there.  So far this has been a reasonable discussion about side switching and the pros and cons involved and even the ethics involved. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2010, 12:46:10 PM »
 :aok
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2010, 12:56:30 PM »
It’s not a claim it’s a statement of fact.  It’s ok to disagree with my thoughts or comments on a subject , however I get the impression that you are easing into personal attack mode.  Please don’t go there.  So far this has been a reasonable discussion about side switching and the pros and cons involved and even the ethics involved. 

Balance what side though? Global sides, i.e. what the roster says the numbers are?  Or a certain fight in particular?

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2010, 01:21:28 PM »
Balance what side though? Global sides, i.e. what the roster says the numbers are?  Or a certain fight in particular?

I have only seen it stated to address the roster count.   As in Bishop 90, Rooks 87, Knights 67.  Not sure it was the intent of AH to attempt to adjust side for a local fight.  That’s up to each side and each player to go to where they think they will be the most good.   Or find the best fight .   I actually never liked the side switching concept.   After all.   In the final analysis each side is always out numbered by the other two sides.   
I understand the need to have the ability to change sides.  I just don’t think it is necessary to have that ability to be hourly. 
I’d like to see it work something like this:  When you become a paid member you choice a side  or a team.  You can weekly choice to change sides.  When you sign on you have the option to either enter on the side of your chosen team or select auto balancing and automatically be placed on the side with the lowest numbers.   You can always be placed on the side of the lowest numbers with no restrictions, but can only elect to change sides weekly.  People on the two week trial, get placed on a side round robin style, every time they sign on.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes