Author Topic: Just a thought that some may want to hear...  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
Just a thought that some may want to hear...
« on: August 15, 2001, 03:05:00 PM »
With the new rate, several people have posted on several of the BBS that us sim geeks visit and read (though maybe not post in).  This, in and of itself, is a pretty good idea.  However, there have been several posts that have been inflammatory towards other sims.  

There are a large number of people who have never played AH or flown with many of the people here.  As such, their first introduction to the AH community is petty name-calling and pissing contests over what is the best sim.

What would make someone who has only flown boxed sims or WB or AW or FA or whatever sim want to come over here and fly with us after reading some of these posts?  Even with a newer low rate, this is the kind of impression that is going to make people decide NOT to even try this.  While this is their loss (IMO), it is also our loss.  

We NEED more players.  Their $$$ (along with ours) is what is going to keep our sim going.  HTC just cut their income in half.  Granted, we will get new paying people in here, but to get the same amount of cashflow, the numbers paying would have to double.

What I am asking is that those who go to other boards to post, please head Pyro's request:

I ask that everybody who disseminates this information does so by appropriate and respectful means

I think we can all agree that we have an excellet sim that just gets better and better.  Please, keep your passion for this sim from turning to hatred for others.  If we are respectful of them, they will come over and see the light.

Oh well, off the soapbox.
-math

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2001, 03:11:00 PM »
Im sad to see such a drastic rate drop. Although i understand HTC needs to boost his base of players, i think this is a bit extreme. Far to low a price. They should have at least been comparable to WBs pricing.

Dog out.........

Offline Mathman

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2001, 03:14:00 PM »
I also wanted to add this bit of advice (not that it really matters or anyone will take it into consideration):

The guys who flame the post about the rate change and rip on AH are the guys who wouldn't comeover here for whatever reason.  The people on the other boards/sims/whatever that would come here are the ones who read threads and don't have the quick-flich reactions that you see when someone says AH sucks.

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2001, 03:17:00 PM »
Good post Math, I’ve already hit the MSN community site for FAII.  Got a few responses that we’re all pompous arse holes that don’t help when someone new is online.  Lets all remember to take a deep breath and take turns letting everyone know how to take off and such  ;).

Zippatuh

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2001, 03:23:00 PM »
Good topic Mathman. you're quite right. As well Wardog is. What Wardog said is what my feelings about this not being a fantastic bit of news is from. Speaking of Wardog, where ya been?  :)

Zipputah? Good point!!

<breaks out the "tHis gAm3 fediddleiNg SuxXors!!" translator>

I'm all set to help those who seek it by not asking normal questions  :D

Westy

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2001, 03:28:00 PM »
Originally posted by Westy MOL:
<breaks out the "tHis gAm3 fediddleiNg SuxXors!!" translator>

<t|-|15 g4/\/\3 f3|<1|\|g 5u><><0r5>

I think your translator is broke. That's proper l337 lingo.
-SW

[ 08-15-2001: Message edited by: SWulfe ]

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2001, 03:30:00 PM »
Question is: Is it OK to flame the pompous tulips of this board on this board? That to may give a bad first impression, but as a newbie myself, it took 3 months for me to find this hilarious el fuego message posting thingy-ma-bob.  :D

Offline 2Late4U

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2001, 03:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Wardog:
Im sad to see such a drastic rate drop. Although i understand HTC needs to boost his base of players, i think this is a bit extreme. Far to low a price. They should have at least been comparable to WBs pricing.

Dog out.........

You want to pay more...go right ahead

Offline Chaos68

• Silver Member
      • http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2001, 03:37:00 PM »
This price drop is GREAT for me.. I only make 11.50 and hour.  :(  
Plus it addes more newbies for my sorry bellybutton to shot down.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2001, 05:39:00 PM »
Some ppl tend to think the low price will permit the "quakers" in, well if we had an ez-mode perhaps that might happen.  As I see it, the quakers try the 2 week deal and move on before week one is up +)

SKurj

Offline VFJACKAL

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2001, 06:19:00 PM »
The price (IMO) is great now. 30.00 is a bit high for some that thourghly enjoyed the game and all it has to offer. They do however have other things to do that makes the 30.oo a month price harder to take than 10 or 15. I for one left and have come back as of today ,beecause my squadmates couldn't justify paying what it was a not playing enuff. Now , they feel like they can.

The "Quakers" as they are called will  , as was said before , come and try the 2 weeks , get the butts handed to em , and be gone.

I suck in here but absolutley enjoy the more realistic FM and team play in here.

Offline Zippatuh

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2001, 07:25:00 PM »
JACKAL - Remember, "map room", "change countries", "knights"  :D

Zippatuh

Offline SkyRadr

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2001, 09:22:00 AM »
well i have to admit that i'm sometimes rather short and rude to newbies but my squad fly's bish and the bish's are bombarded with newbie questions every day and usually they wouldn't even be asking these questions if they had taken 10 minutes to read the help files. Also another thing is it's rather irritating to have some newbie trying to join you're plane in the middle of a furball AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH !!!!!!

WarRaider

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2001, 09:29:00 AM »
Simple solution to the join problem.  Just accept.  Then they stop buggin' ya.  :)

Try to answer questions when you can guys... and when you get tired, direct folks politely to the web site.  If they want more info, you can always give them my email sconrad@hfx.eastlink.ca and I'll be glad to help them and/or set them up with a training session.

Offline AcId

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2001, 12:50:00 PM »
Awww heck, I let any join request in, even when I'm in a fighter. Who cares if I'm a buff and he can't gun for squat....I couldn't either at first.