Author Topic: No icon alternative  (Read 420 times)

Offline a4944

• Copper Member
No icon alternative
« on: October 06, 2010, 08:27:59 AM »
Is it possible to change the enemy icon to a red dot at the lowest part of the icon (just above the plane) rather than all of that text (plane type and range)?  It would be an interesting experiment to use minimal icon range (like the current friendly icon range) and have a small red dot just above the enemy plane to help with the computer display limitations.   I use the existing friendly icons to determine friend and foe.  I don't think the game resolution is the same as real life (I'm not a real WWII fighter pilot so don't really know).  Approaching a fight, they are just a bunch of dark blobs until the friendly icon range comes in.  Not sure if this would be something better or worse, it would still be different from MA and might be interesting to try sometime during a slow period if it is possible. 

Thanks,
Chog

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
Re: No icon alternative
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 09:05:30 AM »
As far as the CM tools go we cant really change the icons themselves, only the ranges.

We don't claim it is actually more realistic, just that it looks that way and helps immerse one into the game, and is a different challenge unlike the other arenas.

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 09:06:29 AM »
Not sure about the dot idea. (If it can be done, that is.) But I know you can decrease the size of the text by going into the GUI menu I believe. I, personally have mine turned way down. (Very small letters.) You can even change the colors.

<S> Melvin
See Rule #4

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 09:10:40 AM »
Not sure about the dot idea. (If it can be done, that is.) But I know you can decrease the size of the text by going into the GUI menu I believe. I, personally have mine turned way down. (Very small letters.) You can even change the colors.

<S> Melvin

Individually a player can, but the CMs can't do it for all players as a whole which we would need to do to make it an even playing field for everyone.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 09:17:27 AM »
go into your offline practice arena and mess with the settings. If it can't be done in there, It can't be done in the AVA or any other main arena.

Offline Perrine

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 11:55:09 AM »
Is it possible to change the enemy icon to a red dot at the lowest part of the icon (just above the plane) rather than all of that text (plane type and range)?  It would be an interesting experiment to use minimal icon range (like the current friendly icon range) and have a small red dot just above the enemy plane to help with the computer display limitations.   I use the existing friendly icons to determine friend and foe.  I don't think the game resolution is the same as real life (I'm not a real WWII fighter pilot so don't really know).  Approaching a fight, they are just a bunch of dark blobs until the friendly icon range comes in.  Not sure if this would be something better or worse, it would still be different from MA and might be interesting to try sometime during a slow period if it is possible. 

Thanks,
Chog

+1 
but it has to be enabled at 1.5 range only

Instead of red dot, how about using the existing rook/knight/bishop icon but without telling you the plane type and range?

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 12:13:47 PM »
+1  
but it has to be enabled at 1.5 range only

Instead of red dot, how about using the existing rook/knight/bishop icon but without telling you the plane type and range?

That would require tools/capability that do not currently exist.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 12:15:24 PM by jimson »