Author Topic: RV Mirrorros  (Read 1779 times)

Offline ares473

• Zinc Member
RV Mirrorros
« on: October 08, 2010, 12:14:07 PM »
I know I am not the first to suggest this, but some of the fighters did have rear view mirrors mounted on the canopy frame wether inside or out. This would be a nice feature for the planes the have them, it would help SA especially for newb. You could always add a disable feature for folks who don't want to use the mirror.
I know I can fly and I know I can shoot, just not at the same time.

Offline 1sum41

• Silver Member
      • devil dog squadron
Re: RV Mirrorros
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 01:49:56 PM »
iirc some spitfires had them.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 02:29:11 PM »
And the vibration was so bad that they were worthless.  Plus by the time you happen to see an enemy in that small mirror, he's already filling you full of lead.  If you did a search on this topic, you would see that these (true) reasons are given every time. :salute
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline RoGenT

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 02:34:34 PM »
And the vibration was so bad that they were worthless.  Plus by the time you happen to see an enemy in that small mirror, he's already filling you full of lead.  If you did a search on this topic, you would see that these (true) reasons are given every time. :salute

I would have to agree with Ranger. It is kind of like the small print on the mirror that says "objects in mirror are closer than what they appear" and that isn't good when you have couple of 20MMs pointing at the back of your head  :O
:salute Your fellow pony dweeb today!
Offical Knight Morale Officer
#1 Punk Knight on Vtards Hit List
Proud Pig!

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 03:07:06 PM »
BigCrate if you are envision mirrors that you could see while looking forward there are 2 huge problems with them.

1. Think of the size that the mirror would be on your screen, Then envision how what you see now looking forward has to be compressed into that small area, and then how small the objects would be,or more precisly how most planes could not be seen.

2. To make a mirror is realy displaying 2 different views at once, hence you almost 1/2 frame rate.

SEARCH is your friend.

The above quote is a NO BTW.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 03:10:16 PM »
We don't have any RV's though................   :uhoh
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline AceHavok

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 03:25:23 PM »
The P-51s had mirrors in the cockpit I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Currently inactive.

Peace cannot be kept by force; it can only be achieved by understanding. - Albert Einstein

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 03:39:49 PM »
The P-51s had mirrors in the cockpit I think. Correct me if I'm wrong.

People died when their planes crashed into the ground - we'd only be inconvienced if our computers crashed.  Just because things happened or were used a certain way in real life, doesn't mean it would translate well or be feasible in a game on a computer.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 05:24:23 PM »
We don't have any RV's though................   :uhoh

I haven seen any mirrorros either
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2010, 09:38:17 AM »
I know I am not the first to suggest this, but some of the fighters did have rear view mirrors mounted on the canopy frame wether inside or out. This would be a nice feature for the planes the have them, it would help SA especially for newb. You could always add a disable feature for folks who don't want to use the mirror.
Sorry but...ROFLMAO!!!  :rofl  :lol  :rofl  :lol  If you think a tiny little rear view mirror is going to help improve situational awareness when properly configured views and habit don't...fly bombers.

Quoted for truth.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2010, 09:57:29 AM »
1. To view what a mirror really shows you, picture a gun sight behind you. Now think of only seeing what is in the gun sight ring. This is a fair representation of home much you would see in the mirror with out moving your head.

2. We give a fair about of lee way in head movement and views that you will see more simply by positioning your head in a rear view.

So we are down to a few things.

1. First the mirror is a fair fps hit, basically you have to draw the world 2 times instead of 1.
2. It does not add SA to any extent.
3. It takes time to code.

The only real plus side is that it looks cool.

So maybe some day, when all other wishes of what to work on have been completed and only mirrors are left.

HiTech

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2010, 10:35:25 AM »

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 10:14:58 PM »
1. To view what a mirror really shows you, picture a gun sight behind you. Now think of only seeing what is in the gun sight ring. This is a fair representation of home much you would see in the mirror with out moving your head.

2. We give a fair about of lee way in head movement and views that you will see more simply by positioning your head in a rear view.

So we are down to a few things.

1. First the mirror is a fair fps hit, basically you have to draw the world 2 times instead of 1.
2. It does not add SA to any extent.
3. It takes time to code.

The only real plus side is that it looks cool.

So maybe some day, when all other wishes of what to work on have been completed and only mirrors are left.

HiTech

the great Oz has spoken!

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 10:18:21 PM »

HiTech

You hear that, guys? I think we can expect mirrors in the next patch.  :joystick:
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 01:34:42 PM »
It is good to hear these valid points, and although I had wished for the same when water reflections were added, I agree with this thread that it's benefit would be almost entirely eye candy, and therefore at the bottom of the to do list for HTC.

My question back then, was to ponder if the same coding to make the water reflective would be instrumental in making mirrors reflective also?  Being ignorant about code, I was just wondering if they had some possible tricks used with the water (code already written) that could be useful with mirrors?