Author Topic: Well, it's your $15....  (Read 1749 times)

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
Re: Well, it's your $15....
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 03:13:13 PM »
Is it possible that he went afk? I myself forget to shut down my comp before going to sleep last night, and was afk in-game for a good 12 hours before I returned to my computer this morning.
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 03:21:15 PM »
there is definately a band of fellows in EW and MW who prefer to play the game against AI.  They are interested in operating as a team (squad) taking undefended bases mostly, and DO NOT LIKE human opposition.

And yes,  It is there money and they are entitled to play the game however they want.  Not much fun for the rest of us but thats the way this cookie crumbles.

I would argue that its our money.  A large portion of our $15 per month is going towards keeping two arenas online that are filled with nothing but < 10 people flying against the AI, when the LW arenas have over 100, probably over 200, each.  They could shut down the early war arenas and start charging everyone some amount less per month than they do now.

The fact that they haven't done that either means server time is essentially free or we are subsidizing, in a matter of speaking, the other arenas.  In the latter case, it is our $15 per month that is being "wasted".
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 03:23:40 PM »
I would argue that its our money.  A large portion of our $15 per month is going towards keeping two arenas online that are filled with nothing but < 10 people flying against the AI, when the LW arenas have over 100, probably over 200, each.  They could shut down the early war arenas and start charging everyone some amount less per month than they do now.

The fact that they haven't done that either means server time is essentially free or we are subsidizing, in a matter of speaking, the other arenas.  In the latter case, it is our $15 per month that is being "wasted".

when i fly midwar, i almost always see more than 10 people in there. i spend most of my online time in the ava these days though, as there's actually fun fights in there, as opposed to the mud movers in the other arenas.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, 03:58:49 PM »
Is it possible that he went afk? I myself forget to shut down my comp before going to sleep last night, and was afk in-game for a good 12 hours before I returned to my computer this morning.

Nope. When I saw him turn tail for base I pursued. He had already landed by the time I arrived, so I circled around the edge of the area out of AAA range to see if he'd up for a fight or pop up somewhere else...Instead he took a couple pot shots at me from one of the field guns before I retired to my holding position and "invited" him out to play.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2010, 04:17:02 PM »

How are you paying to keep 2 essentially empty arenas up?  The Servers are split so that 1 LW and EW/MW are on 1 and the other LW and some other arenas are on another server.  Assuming HTC has the LW arenas on different servers to avoid any problems you're going to pay for 2+ servers no matter what, so why get rid of 2 arenas that barely make a blip on the server load if it makes people happy to have?  Having a micro-fraction less of server use isn't going to affect how much we pay, I would assume.  Also, it they get rid of the arenas and charged less how many people would leave due to the lack of arenas?  How much less could they afford to decrease the price if the extra 15$ incomes left?  If 10 people left that's 150$ less a month they make just to make a few people "happy" that we now have 2 less arenas that never "hurt" anyone or anything (server space).

Only a HTC tech-knowledgeable person could really answer why it is how it is, but that's my small unedumacated guess about it. :)
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2010, 04:30:43 PM »

:confused:

huh? even my warped mind couldn't wrap itself around that logic... could you rephrase please?
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2010, 04:38:19 PM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 09:21:49 AM by Skuzzy »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2010, 05:14:52 PM »
Hey, at least we got rid of the "cesspool environment" with the arena split.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2010, 05:28:35 PM »
Hey, at least we got rid of the "cesspool environment" with the arena split.

No we didn't, it just moved to the DA.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2010, 05:47:40 PM »
I logged on saw six in EW, so jumped in. Five were from the same squad, all were on the same side. I switched to the side being attacked and went to the airbase under attack.  Saw a Ju88 inbound and upped to intercept.  He bailed over the town before I got to icon range.  Saw another con on dar, so turned toward him.  It was a goon, and the town wasn't even close to down.  He bailed before I got close.  Then the whole squad left the arena.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2010, 05:50:11 PM »
I logged on saw six in EW, so jumped in. Five were from the same squad, all were on the same side. I switched to the side being attacked and went to the airbase under attack.  Saw a Ju88 inbound and upped to intercept.  He bailed over the town before I got to icon range.  Saw another con on dar, so turned toward him.  It was a goon, and the town wasn't even close to down.  He bailed before I got close.  Then the whole squad left the arena.

that's because you're a meanie, a poopiehead, and on top of that, you pick your nose.  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2010, 05:56:24 PM »
Regardless of the "It's your $15 dollars" line, it's clear that hitech's purpose in the online arenas is for players to engage other players. Thus why dar circles were extended and the NOE ceiling was greatly lowered; to make it harder for players to avoid actually fighting for control of the base.

I was tooling around in MW today seeing if I could fix my performance problems (I think I finally got that fixed, seems the Self-Shadows are causing an issue. It didn't start when they were FIRST introduced, so there must have been a change in one of the later patches that did something) and a LOT of the smack talk on 200 was who has the highest score (as well as one player blasting another for having no chess piece loyalty, and someone who took exception to me demonstrating that the Corsair has more to offer than just flaps. I seriously ROFLed). Maybe if hitech turned off the scoreboard for the EW and MW arenas the milkrunners will no longer have a reason to avoid fights for padding their scores....

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2010, 06:05:43 PM »
Regardless of the "It's your $15 dollars" line, it's clear that hitech's purpose in the online arenas is for players to engage other players. Thus why dar circles were extended and the NOE ceiling was greatly lowered; to make it harder for players to avoid actually fighting for control of the base.

I was tooling around in MW today seeing if I could fix my performance problems (I think I finally got that fixed, seems the Self-Shadows are causing an issue. It didn't start when they were FIRST introduced, so there must have been a change in one of the later patches that did something) and a LOT of the smack talk on 200 was who has the highest score (as well as one player blasting another for having no chess piece loyalty, and someone who took exception to me demonstrating that the Corsair has more to offer than just flaps. I seriously ROFLed). Maybe if hitech turned off the scoreboard for the EW and MW arenas the milkrunners will no longer have a reason to avoid fights for padding their scores....

funny you say that last part.

i often find great fights in mw. i like it there. i can also tell when the lw guys are there to build up perks for their rides of choice. how? well...first off, most of em can kick my bellybutton pretty handily, regardless of who has what advantage in the start of the fight.
 secondly, the fights go higher. it seems the lw guys like to stay high in there. of course there's some regulars in there that do this too.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2010, 06:23:07 PM »

saxman,I was in MW today and you talk about engaging other players and watching them run.
 you yourself ran from me like a lil school girl when you realised your F4U was in serious doo doo.

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2010, 06:41:21 PM »
RofL!

What's your in-game name, as we obviously didn't see the same fights. Sortie 1 in my F4U I had a PW so RTB'ed. Sortie 2 I took my second kill, then turned N to re-grab altitude. It was at some point after that I saw I had picked up two tails, both of whom had alt on me at the time so I continued outbound. Once that was neutralized with and I re-engaged I was never ONCE outside of about 1500yds of my target.