Author Topic: My simple answer to the never ending question  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Re: My simple answer to the never ending question
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 09:09:40 AM »
From reading the other threads, that seems to be the theme Bustr.  Folks are getting their fun trampled on, one way or another.

Again I could care less, as I seem to be finding fun when I get the chance to fly.  The suggestion was to try and address the never ending whines and the suggestions that the game needs to be made easier for the newbs to find success as appear in the thread on base taking being too hard or the one on caps making it miserable for the euro time players etc.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2010, 09:13:56 AM »
An uncapturable TT...  No thanks.  If GV drivers don't want to get bombed, go play WOT.  It's a part of combat in AH.  Fighters also don't want hangers bombed thus killing a good fight. So it is not just GV'ers.

Don't ya think that most of the tankers would just migrate to the uncapturable area, thus reducing their effective use elsewhere?  If ya want to be free from worrying about aircraft, play a game that doesn't have them at all.  Some GV'ers may go to the uncapturable bases. Some like to capture bases and thus would go elsewhere.

I try not to egg many GV's unless they're a threat to a friendly base.  That said...  It is unfortunate that some GV fights are "ruined" by aircraft, but that's the nature of the beast. Again..... not just GV fights are ruined but aircraft fights too. There would still be plenty to bomb for the buff folks too.

My .02 My .02 :D

EDIT:  I do feel bad for what the non - US players have to deal with as far as arena caps are concerned though...  That just sucks. Agreed
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 09:16:40 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 09:50:36 AM »
personally i have always thought that the "big blazing neon sign" screaming GV here that every pilot can see without a problem is ridiculous.

All GV's not running in the open should be able to hide from any air craft without much problem at any range beyond say 1K. if you want to bomb them then you should have to get your nose in the dirt and sniff them out or carpet bomb an area hoping to get lucky, not sit at 20,000 feet and spot the big neon sign and bomb them with a precision that would rival the smart bombs of modern day.

the ease at which GV's can be killed from the air is a major detractor from the fun and immersion of the ground game and the biggest reason why i tend to stay out of GV's except for the occasional use of a WW or Osti for base/anti vulching defense.

i dont think a GV only zone within the MA would be the right answer, but i do think that just reducing the visibility of any GV in hiding/stopped to some reasonable range or remove their neon signs altogether would be a major move in the right direction.
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2010, 01:16:46 PM »
You can't see a big neon at 1.5k
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2010, 06:39:28 PM »
You can't see a big neon at 1.5k

when i am set to ground view and flying at about 6000 feet i flip inverted and look for the flashes of red that will appear from the neon sign, then i drop down closer and there it is like a highway billboard. i suck at bombing so i dont, but i have flown around in circles over enemy GV's ranging and directing fire from friendly GV's or marking the location for incoming heavies.

now i havent done this since the newest update, but i havent heard that anything about the GV's icons have been changed, so i must assume that it would still work the same as it always has.

i think the icons of both friendly and enemy GV's should be done away with, you wanna know who is who then either use the radio or be brave and go take an up close and personal look.
FLOTSOM

Quote from Skuzzy

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2010, 06:41:04 PM »
i think the icons of both friendly and enemy GV's should be done away with, you wanna know who is who then either use the radio or be brave and go take an up close and personal look.

Without icon, who do you tell who's enemy by an up close & personal look?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2010, 06:49:20 PM »
personally i have always thought that the "big blazing neon sign" screaming GV here that every pilot can see without a problem is ridiculous.

All GV's not running in the open should be able to hide from any air craft without much problem at any range beyond say 1K. if you want to bomb them then you should have to get your nose in the dirt and sniff them out or carpet bomb an area hoping to get lucky, not sit at 20,000 feet and spot the big neon sign and bomb them with a precision that would rival the smart bombs of modern day.

the ease at which GV's can be killed from the air is a major detractor from the fun and immersion of the ground game and the biggest reason why i tend to stay out of GV's except for the occasional use of a WW or Osti for base/anti vulching defense.

i dont think a GV only zone within the MA would be the right answer, but i do think that just reducing the visibility of any GV in hiding/stopped to some reasonable range or remove their neon signs altogether would be a major move in the right direction.

there is however a place where you won't see that blazing red neon sign.  :D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2010, 06:52:33 PM »
there is however a place where you won't see that blazing red neon sign.  :D

i have been in there CAP and you were not there!!!!!!!!!!!!! or you were hidding your submersable (land or water version) 38 cause you were scared of the German Iron!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FLOTSOM

Quote from Skuzzy

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2010, 06:58:03 PM »
I don't see a problem with the idea but what is going to stop the Grizzle tards from buzzing around in jets, picking in K4s, and carpet bombing runways with JuH88s ruining the furballers fight?

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2010, 07:00:56 PM »
i have been in there CAP and you were not there!!!!!!!!!!!!! or you were hidding your submersable (land or water version) 38 cause you were scared of the German Iron!!!!!!!!!!!!!

whoooooo???? meeeee??????   :noid

actually, i think i saw you log in one night as i was logging out........i was tired as heck, and the mornings seem to come earlier and earlier....or i'm just finally getting old........

did you enjoy it?  i think i haven't stepped foot in any of the mains since i went to the ava, except to do a bombing run in lancs......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2010, 07:10:45 PM »
This is an imperfict idea but FLOTSOM may be on to something.

I don't normally GV. So when I did, the GV culture was a shock. Through the trees often when you zoom in you cannot tell freind from foe. I remarked about this because I got taken out by a tank I zoomed into trying to tell who it was. Over country I got told use Check6 you noob.

We are not in the real WW2. Tigers fight Tigers, panzers support M4s. So, yes get rid of the enemy vehical Icons by all means but, replace them with visual identity clues and a check freind or foe function. What is the farthest realistic range one tanker can zoom and see another tanker only as a small box shaped object? Put a key into the game that when you see  any vehical starting outside of real visual recognition range, you can hit the key and get back freind or foe, maybe distance info. Make this a global key usable from everything in the game. But, it only returns info on GV that you have a clear line of sight to part of it's object. Leave freindly GV icons on. Don't want to killshoot yourself on the nice M3 about to resupply you now do we?

Also every vehical gets a LARGE country chess peice badge painted on them by default. Afterall HiTech allows squad art badges on vehicals and aircraft. Zoom into the tree line, see the nose of the knight horse head on the country badge and open fire through the trees.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2010, 08:29:41 PM »
when i am set to ground view and flying at about 6000 feet i flip inverted and look for the flashes of red that will appear from the neon sign, then i drop down closer and there it is like a highway billboard.

wait.. if the icon range is 1.5k yds, and you're 6000 ft above em, how are you seeing an icon?

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
I don't see a problem with the idea but what is going to stop the Grizzle tards from buzzing around in jets, picking in K4s, and carpet bombing runways with JuH88s ruining the furballers fight?

Not a thing. I would expect it would happen just so some folks can prove they can do it because they can.

As far as it goes, I'm fine with the way things are. I have fun when I get time to fly.  As it's fairly limited time, I clearly am not caught up in the game to the point it's going to bother me.   People are going to whine and complain while playing exactly how they want to regardless.  This was about the best I could do to address the 'big picture' brought up by others :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2010, 02:03:51 AM »
Dunbar's number is a theoretical cognitive limit to the number of people with whom one can maintain stable social relationships. These are relationships in which an individual knows who each person is, and how each person relates to every other person. Proponents assert that numbers larger than this generally require more restrictive rules, laws, and enforced norms to maintain a stable, cohesive group. No precise value has been proposed for Dunbar's number. It lies between 100 and 230, but a commonly used value is 150

Back then squads were smaller and their members knew everyone in the community. So the community was better self regulating. With time the squads got larger, and as they got larger and no longer knew everyone in the community the group dynamic turned to Us vs. Them. Without the common goals that the smaller community shared as the game experience, we have now reached a diffusion of what to do as a rewarding experience. Dogfight so far has solved this with his squad by giving his hoard tangable goals and rewards for their efforts. Thats part of the friction between them and the community. They are a large cohesive organised group with objectives and many of the rest of us no longer are.

This is refelcted in our asking HiTech to solve our problem by placing barriers in the way of the groups who are organised and cohesive to diffuse their effectivness in favor of our current lack of direction. Some validity can be given to hindering the hoards a bit. They seem to have a social impact on the game culture due to a pardigm shift in focus from rugged individualism and fighting to achive your goal, to being part of a BORG and wining fights by any means just short of writing your own aimbot.

HiTech must have the constitution of a Demigod.........
I think you may be making it overly complicated . Way back when , the community consisted mostly of a bunch of history buffs . The kind of guys that at an airshow are over looking at the warbirds , waiting patiently for the jets do be done . Feeling that surge of endorphins and adrenaline when they hear that prop connected to a reciprocating engine . The whine of a merlin , either Packard or Rolls . The vibration in your chest from a big radial hooked to a paddle blade . The wealth of detailed knowledge . Today you have people that have grown up gaming . That could not tell you who Butch O'Hare is . Tell you what a Thatch weave is and why it was important . Have never read the description of Saburo Sakae's epic struggle to remain alive as he rtb'ed after making the near fatal mistake of confusing an Avenger with a Wildcat . I also totally agree with Dan . A place is needed in the mains where activity can be concentrated especially during off peak hours . Not the DA , but in the mains .

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2010, 03:07:21 AM »
I think you may be making it overly complicated . Way back when , the community consisted mostly of a bunch of history buffs . The kind of guys that at an airshow are over looking at the warbirds , waiting patiently for the jets do be done . Feeling that surge of endorphins and adrenaline when they hear that prop connected to a reciprocating engine . The whine of a merlin , either Packard or Rolls . The vibration in your chest from a big radial hooked to a paddle blade . The wealth of detailed knowledge . Today you have people that have grown up gaming . That could not tell you who Butch O'Hare is . Tell you what a Thatch weave is and why it was important . Have never read the description of Saburo Sakae's epic struggle to remain alive as he rtb'ed after making the near fatal mistake of confusing an Avenger with a Wildcat . I also totally agree with Dan . A place is needed in the mains where activity can be concentrated especially during off peak hours . Not the DA , but in the mains .

Way back when a small number of guys knew each other and shared a common love of HISTORY.....queue the deep voice over reverb echo and bring up the blood stirring background music.

Before Dunbars number is reached your small number of people all know each other and think of each other as a community of freinds\family\common interests. Once it is exceeded new small groups form per human nature (tribalism, squads) and Us vs.Them is the norm. Then comes the whizzing matches and hard feelings on ch200 because of competition for status and simply two guys don't know each other, so don't like the way each other plays the game.

Why do you think so many people thought of shane and the muppets as ^holes and not as the accomplished paragons of AH virtue the two of you thought you were holding yourselves out as. How many times can you tell an average normal fun seeking person he is garbage before he brings a hoard back and annihilates you? Who is the better man. The one who does not respect that others are what they are and taunts them for it, or the one who can no longer take a bully insulting him and organises all of the geeks to destroy a single bully? Both of you loose in the end.

Grizz recently realized that the game is about everyones special interests and how they freely express those interests. As long as everyone feels free to do that, this game is healthy.

Human group relationships are very fragile entities and based soly on shared interest, common bonds and trust. Almost every work place with more than 3 workers has an informal leader who is trusted more than the direct manager because of shared experiences and close bonds. Once a workplace exceeds Dunbars number, productivity is maintained by the leverage of outside expectations, quotas and the threat of termination. Under dunbars number and the employees are productive for each other because everyone knows each other. This is why HiTech has squads wheather he likes them or not.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 03:48:54 AM by bustr »
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.