Author Topic: HTC: Earning to right to fly the good stuff - finally!  (Read 1922 times)

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
HTC: Earning to right to fly the good stuff - finally!
« on: May 17, 2000, 09:02:00 PM »
Excellent idea!  Very excellent.  Thus, intelligent flying will result in better aircraft.  A great idea!!!

------------------

leonid, Komandir
5 GIAP VVS RKKA

"Our cause is just.  The enemy will be crushed.  Victory will be ours."

[This message has been edited by leonid (edited 05-17-2000).]
ingame: Raz

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2000, 09:41:00 PM »
And intelligent flying would be?

-- Todd/DMF

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2000, 09:43:00 PM »
sweet!

guess we will be seeing some super birds like the ta152 me262, p38K   , spitfireXIV, la7, tempest, f4u4(w 4 cannons! OMG!   ),

fortunately they will be rare and less suicidal in pushing a fight  

[This message has been edited by Citabria (edited 05-17-2000).]
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Sorrow[S=A]

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2000, 10:17:00 PM »
ARGH.
Why do you keep posting the La-7 as "uber" or "rare" Cit?  It was the primary ride after '44 along with the Yak-9U and -3

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2000, 10:19:00 PM »
I'm excited about the potential for some interesting "uber-rides"...BUT...these could create some serious play balance issues. I recognize that a significant percentage of the hardcore AH fliers favor "realism" based arena factors...HOWEVER...there are many myself included who could care less about "score"...I had my kicks on that subject years ago...one in a while I get the points itch..and thankfully it usually goes away quickly. Am I implying I can rack em up at will...NO...simply that "points" flying has little appeal to me. The implementation of a reward system for points will change the dynamics of the game significantly...for the worse in my opinion.

I'd like to see at least some comprimise..give every player a limited set of rides in the uberbirds...if you wantto reward good flying with additional planes fine...but freezing out players of different mindset..or skill level..may have a very negative effect on this community.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2000, 10:27:00 PM »
262 might be uber in certain aspects, but was not that rare  

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2000, 10:31:00 PM »
I don't care how they do it exactly, I just don't want to have to fight an arena full of ta152s in my p38.

frankly I don't have any wish to fly super uber a/c on anything other than for just a quick jolly.

I mean seriously, I already have a hard enough time fighting 109g10s and p51s and spitfirs in my favorite plane, the p38.

these late war monsters MUST be limited in the extreme and very rare to keep play balance decent.

personally I think it is best to have the variety they provide, but like tobasco sauce, more than a little can leave you fuming.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

cokerr

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2000, 10:41:00 PM »
So the person with the best computer, best connection and the time to spend 6 to 8 hours a day in the arena, gets to fly the best planes?  

coker

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2000, 10:55:00 PM »
I don't thing the P-38K was produced.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2000, 10:56:00 PM »
Obvioulsy, many issues will need to be addressed concerning skill level, time participation and plain old desire to get invloved in a reward/penalty system.  Regardless, push the envelope and see what happens.

Yeager

[This message has been edited by Yeager (edited 05-17-2000).]
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

HaHa

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2000, 11:29:00 PM »
I think a lot of people miss the point why "experience" points are such a good idea.

Currently: kill guy, he spawns, kill again.. do this for 5 hours and it doesn't affect anything, not the arena, not your "pilot", just an increase in score

With Experience Points: kill guy, he LOSES points, he will spawn somewhere safer, you "pilot" now has more experience points and you can work towards that awesome uber plane you've been trying to get all week. Furthermore resets will mean something = more points.

I think that the experience points should be exactly like COUNTERSTRIKE. In which every plane has a price.. you acquire planes by purchasing them. When you rtb with your shiney new plane the $ for that plane gets re-added to your experience bank account.

In case HT is reading this - you are doing a damn good job!    

funked

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2000, 11:30:00 PM »
I think it's a cool idea, and I'm  glad HTC are experimenting in this area instead of trying the same old stuff.

If it sucks, then we'll let them know!!!

But try it first!

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2000, 12:05:00 AM »
There I am merrily flying in my 109G10, feeling quite happy.

In swoops a hi speed [insert Überplane] that an take away the only thing the 109 got; climb.

Think I'll resaddle for the "quick 'n dirty" kills of the A5  .

Sure, currently not as safe an aircraft, but if there are planes that climb better than the 109, or zoom better than teh 51, or....well, you get the idea. If on every mission I run at 50-75% chance of meeting an Überplane that will negate most of the strong sides of any aircraft other than another überplane, I'll go for the quick kills. To me it seems easier to kill in the A8 than in the 109 for example. Less "dogfight" and more "in, kill, out".

It all depends on how HTC decides to implement it. The idea at its core isn't bad at all - on the contrary. How it is implemented may make it Übercool, or just plain silly. I'll give HTC the benefit of the doubt knowing what a sim they've already put together.

------------------
StSanta
II/JG2

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2000, 12:53:00 AM »

And intelligent flying would be?
- Dead Man Flying

Intelligent flying would be defined as trying to come home in one piece.  This is contrary to the more common kamikaze style flown by the majority of AH'ers (hate to say it, but it's true, and I'm one of them).

No one's saying that you can't fly suicidal, but if you do, then you should expect not to fly the best iron.  And, in fact, who's to say you can't reach the best aircraft by semi-suicidal means?  HTC hasn't decided how to implement the point system, so it's still up in the air.

It would be safe to say, however, that once you earn enough points to fly the best, then intelligent flying will be the order of the day.

Personally, I find it a nice compromise.  People can fly any way they like in AH, but for a price - never to fly the best.  Likewise, earn enough points to ride the best, and survival will become absolutely paramount.  And a compromise is definitely in order, because for every suicidal player there is a realistic player, and right now there is no reason to fly realistically in AH.
ingame: Raz

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2000, 01:12:00 AM »

Originally posted by leonid:
<snip>
Personally, I find it a nice compromise.  People can fly any way they like in AH, but for a price - never to fly the best.  Likewise, earn enough points to ride the best, and survival will become absolutely paramount.  And a compromise is definitely in order, because for every suicidal player there is a realistic player, and right now there is no reason to fly realistically in AH.

I bristle when people say that flying to live is realistic.  It is more realistic than devil-may-care furballing, to be sure.  However, it's still not *realistic*.  Where historically did we have Niki's combatting Me109F's?  Or Spit IX's attacking Spit V's?  Where are the 10 to 1 odds that all Luftwaffe pilots should face?

I've seen "realistic" pilots, those who fly to live, leave wingmen to die so they can run out of a fight and into ack protection.  I've seen such pilots hang lonewolf-style on the edges of lower furballs, waiting to cherry pick engaged targets.  At the first sign of trouble, they'll split and leave their countrymen to their fates.  That's flying to live, but it's not realistic.

It's my sincere hope that any system of rewards does not lead to an overabundance of this type of behavior.  I'm cautiously optimistic about the new system proposed by HTC.  However, I do think it's important to separate "intelligent" from "realistic."

-- Todd/DMF