Author Topic: HTC: Earning to right to fly the good stuff - finally!  (Read 1924 times)

Offline SC-GreyBeard

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.picknowl.com.au/homepages/oneshot/main.htm
HTC: Earning to right to fly the good stuff - finally!
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2000, 01:56:00 AM »
Hmmm,, I can see bad things in my future...

No uber planes, etc. gonna be pretty sad when I'm forced to fly around in a Stearman trainer cause I don't have the points for a hurricane....    

All I can see coming from this is the best flyers, (wether due to good hardware, better/faster connects, and just plain old skill in air combat, are all flying around in these so-called uberplanes, while us no-real-skill are stuck in the target drones.....

Really makes me look forward to flying,,,
yup, yup, yup....

NOT!!!!!!!!!!!

On occassions since this went beta, I've seen some degree of score-whoring... Guess now it'll become common place    

Bet you'll see a LOT more 5 or 6 planes chasing 1 guy all trying for that POINTS Kill..

Personally, I think HTC may have just pulled the trigger on the gun pointing at their foot.

------------------
GreyBeard, <----  not a happy camper

[This message has been edited by SC-GreyBeard (edited 05-18-2000).]

[This message has been edited by SC-GreyBeard (edited 05-18-2000).]

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2000, 02:17:00 AM »
Give *everyone* 20 of these uber planes at the start of the TOD. Ya lose one? You now have 19.

You pick if and when ya wanna take one up fer a spin.

You don't have to earn the right to fly them... but ya gotta earn the right to *keep* them.

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2000, 02:32:00 AM »
I think this is a great idea!  

Greybeard, don't fall into despair. Yet.  

Originally posted by SC-GreyBeard:
No uber planes, etc. gonna be pretty sad when I'm forced to fly around in a Stearman trainer cause I don't have the points for a hurricane....       (Image removed from quote.)

Originally posted by Pyro:
While the normal arena plane set will cost nothing, special planes will have a price required to fly them.

Camo

------------------
Camouflage
XO, Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34

"The really good pilots use their superior judgement to keep them out of situations
where they might be required to demonstrate their superior skill."

[This message has been edited by LLv34_Camouflage (edited 05-18-2000).]
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2000, 03:23:00 AM »
Put that all in a different arena so we can test and see how it affects gameplay... and please keep an arena where we can fly what we want when we want ..

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2000, 05:31:00 AM »
I just hope that Fw190D9 isnt included between those uber rides...if It is then is time to put the runstang there, too  

Offline HABICHT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jagdgeschwader54.net
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2000, 05:38:00 AM »
when it will be like HT said, hmmmm.
like posted above.

the player with best connection and most time
& MONEY will fly the "special" fighters.

thats not the right way i think!!!!!
look at WB and AH scores. if you fly a lot,
you will have more points than other players.
so score board i a kind of "how much money and time i spent in AH" contest.

better will be the other way.
give erverybody in 1 TOD 3-5 of the birds.
only my opinion

------------------

JG2 "Richthofen"

[This message has been edited by HABICHT (edited 05-18-2000).]

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2000, 05:42:00 AM »

I like Nash idea. A maximum number of monsters allowed fo each pilot. The better you fly the longer you keep them.

Scoring is actually meaningless with the wrong kill-system we have now (ditch-bug, wrong-button-death, good-rwy-landing-ditches, near-ack-kill, near-dieing-guy-kill, HO kills/deaths) and all those professional vulchers.
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2000, 05:48:00 AM »
I hope the Spit XIV and Tempest aren't going to be included as uber planes. They were both introduced long before many of the planes we already have now.
Are all uber planes going to cost the same? Or is the price going to be based on the degree of uberness? And is the F4U-1c going to be shifted to the uber category?

Offline leonid

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2000, 06:18:00 AM »
Well, let's put it this way, if you're the type of flyer that goes right into the thick of a furball, or thinks nothing of flying into a gaggle of 3 or more enemy fighters, you deserve to die.  And if your wingman is smart, he'll let you too.  I mean, if you willfully put yourself into great danger without any plan other than 'WooHoo!' why should anyone else lift a finger to slow the process?  Of course, there are extenuating circumstances, but we all generally know those when we see them.

As to 'intelligent' and 'realistic' equating to 'cowardice', that's a crock.  In WWII air combat, the most valuable commodity was the pilot, not the machine.  No combat aircraft took 20-some years to build, and train.  To fly realistically means just that.  I couldn't care less what the plane set was.  If I was really going up into the sky flying a F4U-1D against enemy P-51Ds, one of my big concerns would be 'Hmm, hope I get back alive.'

Basically, I'm tired of the fly-die-tower-fly sequence so prevalent in online flight sims.  I'm not suggesting that everything be changed to suit my needs either, because I know most players have no concern for a realistic approach.  However, I do feel that HTC's idea has great merit without having the effect of disrupting the way AH plays now.  The way I see it, a great many people will be flying a number of competent versions of fighter aircraft from different countries, while a very few will be in the cockpit of some very powerful, late/post-war iron.  Fortunately, for the majority of players, these uber-pilots will have a real concern for their own welfare, and their attacks will be made only under the best of circumstances.  Upset those circumstances, and I'm almost certain these uber-pilots will break off.  Thus, in some ways uber-pilots will be less of a threat then some kamikaze spit driver whose only intent is to kill you, and/or die trying.

You can't have your cake, and eat it too.

As to Nash's idea, I don't like that you would have a number of planes to use up, because then you'd have a number of planes to make some mistakes, go nuts, etc.  HTC's idea of earning the ride, then trying to hold onto it appeals a lot more, because it would just be the one.  And for someone like myself who's been trying to figure out a way to put the fear of your life into an online flight sim environment, the Gang at Grapevine have a good one.

------------------

leonid, Komandir
5 GIAP VVS RKKA

"Our cause is just.  The enemy will be crushed.  Victory will be ours."

[This message has been edited by leonid (edited 05-18-2000).]
ingame: Raz

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2000, 06:42:00 AM »

Good points Leonid. As far as I am concerned I dont want cakes, I want to fly my a/c against historical opponents in the proper WWII year. STOP. Everything different will make AH a "what if" or "1946!".

I like AH and look forward to the 190A-5, the A6M5b, the mighty Yak-9U, the Ju88 and the Lancaster. Keep up the good work HTC.

I can play for some months more without too much problems ...  
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2000, 06:48:00 AM »
Leonid, your right and I bet you didn't even think about it   F4U's did actually fight P-51's in real combat. The "Soccer Wars" had several US types on each side that fought each other. So we're not as unrealistic as we thought  

Guys, while I admitt I have some fears just like the rest of you on the "SUPER uber planes" system will work, lets wait and see before we all start to have fits over it.

And I don't expect the F4U-1C to go into that Super-Uber category.

My guess would be planes like that come up in the "But it didn't see combat" arguements like the Ta-152H, Bf109K8, BearCat, TigerCat, P-51H, FG-2 SuperCorsair, Spit XX something, Yak-3P, La-9, Ki-83 (only Japanese plane I could think off like this) , and ALL the Jets from all sides (Me262, Me163, Gotha Flying Wing, Arado Blitz bomber, Meteor, and all the others).

It could be interesting if implemented properly, so lets wait and see what happens.  

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

[This message has been edited by Vermillion (edited 05-18-2000).]

Offline Nashwan

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2000, 07:05:00 AM »
So Verm you're happy for the Spit XIV and Tempest to go in as normal rides?

Offline Fury

• Copper Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2000, 07:11:00 AM »
I think it's an interesting idea, but it's hard for me to form a real opinion until a) I read more about it in detail and b) I try it for myself.

Thumbs up to HTC for trying something like this.

Fury

Offline -duma-

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2000, 07:19:00 AM »
Exactly. HTC are trying to improve the game as they see it, but we all just seem to want it all our own way... let's just see how it goes, eh? Give them a chance, fer chrissakes...

Duma (Cutlery-free zone)

Offline JoeMud

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2000, 07:27:00 AM »
  CAN IT GET ANY BETTER!!!!

YEEHAAAWWW