Author Topic: new cap method: a visual comparison  (Read 2634 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: new cap method: a visual comparison
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2010, 10:43:35 AM »
I realize log in screen,but did you just sit and hit refresh for hours or what?? :salute

basically yes  :uhoh

To clarify: I was not sitting in front of my screen clicking refresh for hours. I was doing other stuff and coming back to check the numbers in (more or less) regular intervals.

And no, I'm not doing that all the time  :lol
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 10:47:46 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2010, 11:26:26 AM »
Have each client randomly decide the order in which to display the LW arenas.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline CHAPPY

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2010, 11:36:23 AM »
Why not just assign a Arena to each subscriber. End of problem.

Why let the customer decide which arena to play in?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2010, 11:41:20 AM »
Switched orange to pink a while back. Result one on top gets the most.
Swaped the arenas with out name change I.E. blue on top , result more in top arena.
Swaped arenas but kept the orange name on top. Result more people in the top arena.

HiTech
Code to randomize the order in which they appear in the list on each FE?

Not sure how much of an effect that would have or how hard it would be to implement.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2010, 11:43:21 AM »

Too much work for no gain. After some initial confusion, players would still mostly go where the majority is. Shuffling arena position or names or hiding numbers on login screen won't change that.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2010, 12:23:51 PM »
Too much work for no gain. After some initial confusion, players would still mostly go where the majority is. Shuffling arena position or names or hiding numbers on login screen won't change that.

If you hide the numbers, and shuffle the arena names, how would many players know which arena has more people in it? Sure, the ones with squads would know, but it wouldn't matter because the squad would either A) already have an established arena, or B) join on to wherever the first couple of squaddies wind up.

As of right now, those without squads and those in squads which don't have anyone on would likely grab the highest number. Without the number shown, it'd be pretty common to choose first on the list, which, would change every login.

Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2010, 12:28:02 PM »
That would tick me off as a customer if I didn't get to see how many people were in the arena I was joining.

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2010, 12:36:43 PM »
I feel your pain, but your assumption is wrong. The higher you set the initial cap limit, the slower the growth will be, the longer it will take to get both arenas to a similar level.

If you set LWO initial level to 200, and there are 220 players online - where do you end up? Right, 200 / 20. Those 20 still can't get into LWO, and even worse, their arena has horrific numbers.

You can even take the numbers from my graph above and do a simulation yourself.

I understand that you're trying to balance the arenas, and pack both of them in, but so tightly it is at the expense of squad camraderie / their time to fly together.    You're giving us less of a choice, more frequently annoying the player base.  For eastern zime zone prime time night flying, our 'peak' can't get into the 'peak arena'   for our  'peak' performance.     In balancing 2 arenas tightly as you are,  you are seperating / segregating the squad.  Those that fly blue can continue to fly blue, let them go there,  but give the squads a fighting chance to be together by:

1) Give us true options to fly where we want.  The old cap system was 'doable' it gave us a fighting chance to be together.
2) Or just give us 1 arena.   The off peak arena hours 850cap, Ironically lets squads work together on the weekends,   but then chops them up into bits   when the 'peaks' come back.  

'Peak' being the ironic factor unable to support all of the 'peak squad players'

Even with the caps as they are, if our squad switches blue,  I'd still have problems getting in there due to the caps.  Again, the old cap system was 'doable',  but this just tightens the belt too much.   The tight tight cap method is definitely 'cattle herding', knit picking, which equates to the expense of squad cooperation.  200 is just too tight for 'peak'  evenings!

« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 12:56:57 PM by gldnbb »
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2010, 12:43:42 PM »
EW... MW..... AVA ..... all have no caps.

Pick a week and everyone not happy with caps just fly one of those arenas.  A Strike of sorts. :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2010, 12:13:36 PM »
One major difference between those two charts is how long someone has to play with 100 or less player on his arena.
In first chart such time goes on for several hours. On second chart it is only a bit over one hour.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34      

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2010, 03:07:35 PM »
this thread is scarey :frown:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario