Author Topic: new cap method: a visual comparison  (Read 2671 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
new cap method: a visual comparison
« on: November 22, 2010, 08:29:04 PM »
In case someone is interested:
Two mondays with almost exact the same total population. One under the old caps system, the other is showing todays numbers.

Time given is my local time (CET). The main difference is the time LWO needs to recover and get growing again past the 100 player limit.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
Re: new cap method: a visual comparison
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 08:41:20 PM »
I still wonder why orange seems to be preferred.

also, it almost looks like the Off hours should go another hour or so. ??
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 08:45:25 PM »
I still wonder why orange seems to be preferred.

First arena on the list :)

also, it almost looks like the Off hours should go another hour or so. ??

I don't see any improvement by that. The boot would just affect more people, but it would still look the same.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 08:48:31 PM »
Interesting chart, I do feel a tweak coming to the balancing code. Right now it appears soon as blue hits its 70% it is sorta a 1 - one swap one person comes in blue then 1 goes in orange and another until 1 leaves from blue.

The strange thing is other then the order there is absolutely zero difference between the arenas.

HiTech

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 08:53:30 PM »
The strange thing is other then the order there is absolutely zero difference between the arenas.

Different maps... from what I've noticed, more people tend to prefer larger arenas. Orange has had a large map in it since last week.

I like the small ones myself, more apt to find fights.

edit: spelling errors, they must be contagious.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 08:56:06 PM by Delirium »
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 09:00:16 PM »
In my opinion, there are several factors, in descending order:

- Numbers. The most important factor. Numbers breed numbers, players go were players are. (See also "I would go EW/MW,AVA if it had only more players")
- Placement on list. Everything else being equal, players join the first arena on the list.
- Map size. Many players seem to prefer larger maps
- Actual map. Usually not that important, but there is one particular map that will make players flee LWO and join LWB every time it's up.

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 09:02:41 PM »
Interesting chart, I do feel a tweak coming to the balancing code. Right now it appears soon as blue hits its 70% it is sorta a 1 - one swap one person comes in blue then 1 goes in orange and another until 1 leaves from blue.

HiTech

Hi HT,

If I just may say one thing...and I have no data to back it up....but...if Orange seems to be where folks gravitate..and then swap around...could it be that alot of squads start in orange and those in those squads try to get there?

The squad I'm in mainly fly in orange a we have such a time differintial. Squaddies from everywhere. So if the squad is in orange...thats where most tend to go.

Just an observation. Like I said no data to back it up. And , I may not have explained it just right but I'm sure you all know what I mean.

On a side note....I'm sure most appreciate the effort.
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 09:14:09 PM »
So put Blue on top and see if the numbers change from arena to arena :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 09:20:28 PM »
Speaking only for myself, the map currently being used in Orange is one of the few maps I enjoy.  

In particular, the center island is one of the few places where you can operate GVs without the GV game being constantly ruined by AC.  Not sure why this is, but it definately is.  Also, I rarely see hordes there.  Again, I don't know why not.  

Further, I have generally found that if I want to take up a fighter on the center island, it seems to be relatively easy to find a fight against 1 or 2 opponents, and this occurs quickly and reliably.  On other maps I spend most of my time trying to find such fights, and instead find a gross imbalance of numbers either for or against.  Don't know why.  

Conclusion is that I appreciate having this map available, and wish it was permanent.  

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 09:52:06 PM »
Orange is where the 20th is positioned because the squads we operate with usually go into Orange also.

Try this HT (switch orange and blues names in the list without switching the maps) :aok what is LWBlue was LWOrange and vice versa only in name? :lol maybe most will go to the second arena in the listing over the first?
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline DERK13

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 09:57:41 PM »
well one thing i know is that i got booted from the DA with no warning and so did everyone else, what was going on then, id like to know, because i was on short final with some kills, which dont matter to me its the DA. But no warning or anything and BOOM!!! DA was closed

RedTail

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 09:57:50 PM »
I'd also be curious to see some input from some of the more "win the war" type players.  I would imagine if they're trying to reset a map they would tend to stick to one arena as long as that map is up.  Can't say for myself because I don't really pay attention to these things but I would think if I put in several hours on a map trying to capture real estate on Monday night and the map hadn't been reset yet I would be inclined to log back into the same arena on Tuesday to try and continue the effort.

Just a guess though.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 10:02:26 PM »
I'd also be curious to see some input from some of the more "win the war" type players.  I would imagine if they're trying to reset a map they would tend to stick to one arena as long as that map is up.  Can't say for myself because I don't really pay attention to these things but I would think if I put in several hours on a map trying to capture real estate on Monday night and the map hadn't been reset yet I would be inclined to log back into the same arena on Tuesday to try and continue the effort.

Just a guess though.

that and TT seems to now be out of the sequence of maps for a regular day? or am i wrong? In the message it said TT will save the map for the next week (while orange and blue will reload for wednesday from monday i assume?)
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 10:09:08 PM »
I don't see any improvement by that. The boot would just affect more people, but it would still look the same.

seems to me the 2 arenas would balance out even quicker though, no? with more people?  

whatever the case, the new system definitely works better than the old. the dip in the totals for the hour after the switch looks a bit strange, but I figure it's people who DID NOT READ THE ARENA MESSAGE and end up going to midwar or ww1 or something when they see "arena will close in 5 minutes"
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2010, 10:10:19 PM »
The numbers look pretty good. Euro guys get a good population and when the split starts it recovers pretty quick.

As for the Win the Wars types I think they may need a couple weeks to get use to the maps being saved and seeing that when they come in the next day. Once it starts to click with them you might see a better return from them.