Author Topic: P-61B/C  (Read 1393 times)

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
Re: P-61B/C
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 07:30:05 PM »
well hell.  Would the P61A qualify for MW?

Don't think first sorties took place until June '44, so probably not.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 07:33:41 PM »
well hell.  Would the P61A qualify for MW?
Nope.  MW ends at 23:59:59, Dec. 31, 1943 and LW starts at 00:00:00 on Jan. 1, 1944.

None of the P-61s from WWII are going to be particularly good fighters due to their slower speeds, maxing out at 369mph.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 07:37:27 PM »
well hell.  Would the P61A qualify for MW?

Depends on what dates HiTech uses to determine what belongs to which time frame.  However, since the first Blackwidow squadron (425th NFS) to first deploy to the ETO wasn't until early 1944 and the 6th NFS didn't receive the first batch of Blackwidows for the PTO until June of 1944 I would have to say late war time frame.

Interesting little bit of trivia about the Blackwidow when it was first deployed to the ETO.  Some of the top USAAF brass firmly believed the P-61 was too slow to engage Luftwaffe fighters and medium bombers.  As a result, General Spaatz ordered that two USAAF night squadrons stationed in the U.K be equipped with the Mosquito but this was denied because the pressing needs the RAF had for the Mosquito.  This led to a quasi-mutiny when a number of P-61 pilots threatened to turn in their wings if they were not allowed to fly the Blackwidow.  Because the situation was starting to deteriorate, the USAAF then ordered a competition between the Mosquito and the P-61 to determine which one the USAAF would use in the ETO for night fighter/interdiction operations.

The Mosquito Mk XVII used for the fly off was flown by a RAF crew while the P-61A was flown by pilots of the 422nd NFS.  The USAAF determined at the end that the P-61A had a slightly better rate of climb and turned tighter than the Mosquito Mk XVII and speed marginally the same.  This cleared the way for the Blackwidow to start flying operationally in the ETO.

Colonel Winston Kratz (commander of night fighter training for the USAAF during the war) though believed the RAF purposely flubbed the fly off so the RAF wouldn't have to give away any of their Mosquitos to the USAAF as there weren't many to go around.  He was quoted as saying, "I'm absolutely sure to this day that the British were lying like troopers. I honestly believe the P-61 was not as fast as the Mosquito, which the British needed because by that time it was the one airplane that could get into Berlin and back without getting shot down. I doubt very seriously that the others knew better. But come what may, the '61 was a good night fighter. In the combat game you've got to be pretty realistic about these things. The P-61 was not a superior night fighter. It was not a poor night fighter. It was a good night fighter. It did not have enough speed".

ack-ack
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 07:39:11 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 08:46:56 PM »
If they are going with the Japanese plane set, I think they will either update the A6M or give us another EW plane. (Ki-43)

Naaa
I have it on good authority it'll be the Kawasaki Ki-10
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 08:53:48 PM »
P-61B did about 370mph TAS at best altitude.

Mosquito NF.Mk 30 did about 430mph TAS at best altitude.

Down on the deck the NF.Mk 30 was about 20-30mph slower than the FB.Mk VI we have in AH though.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 08:56:10 PM »

Mosquito NF.Mk 30 did about 430mph TAS at best altitude.

Down on the deck the NF.Mk 30 was about 20-30mph slower than the FB.Mk VI we have in AH though.

Which I think validates Colonel Winston Kratz's belief that the RAF threw the fly off so they wouldn't be forced to give into Spaatz's demand to equip 2 USAAF NFS with Mosquitos.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
If they are going with the Japanese plane set, I think they will either update the A6M or give us another EW plane. (Ki-43)

with the convention this weekend, I suspect it will be ki43 with cannons or something, as evil con mission plane.

remember last year it was the dr1 with bottle rockets and rato.. and then sometime after the convention WW1 was officially announced in progress.. ???

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2010, 11:40:38 AM »
Why not a Ki-45 Toryu (Nick)...Come on HTC...help a pacwar fan out.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline titan312

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2010, 12:27:34 PM »
Yakity Yak don't talk back!  YAK-3!!!!! :aok

I'm with ya Waystin.  Yak-3!!  :aok

Offline Nutzoid

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2010, 03:09:35 PM »
HE219. If not, then ME410?   :)
C co. 1st Bn 7 CAV 1st Cav Div  " Garry Owen"

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2010, 08:09:44 PM »
A-20 Hovac did 339 mph at best altitude.  Since the A-20 seems to do well in experienced hands in AH Im thinking (when used properly) a P-61 with four 20mm cannon and four M2 .50s (provided HTC models the capability and lets us lock those in for fixed forward fire) could be a very VERY lethal machine, especially when used properly with energy.

One of the the things about the P61 (and the B29) that excites me is how HTC would model the multi crew operated slewed weapons systems.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline 96Delta

• Nickel Member
      • Loose Cannons Alliance (LCA)  "Realize Your Potential"
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2010, 08:34:02 PM »
well heck, I say if you're putting in 1 glass nose bomber, why not 2? (He-111)

hehe

Actually, I'm just thrilled there's another new aircraft =)

Yup, when you said glass nose I thought of a
B-29
but an He111 would be awesome from my seat.

To be sure you are going to Heaven when you die  CLICK HERE.