Author Topic: Starting Trim?  (Read 1288 times)

Offline MonkGF

• Copper Member
Starting Trim?
« on: October 24, 2010, 09:21:47 AM »
Right now whenever I launch on the runway, elevator trim is all the way up, rudder trim is mostly centered, and aileron trim is moved way to the right. This is a pretty good initial setup for single-engine aircraft, but means that I'm having to apply rudder input for a straight takeoff even for multi-engine aircraft. Is there any way to change this setup for multi-engine aircraft? Not sure where this might even get set. It doesn't seem to remember from the prior flight, not sure, but with a multi-engine aircraft I really want rudder and aileron centered on takeoff.
-- Greg Stelmack
-- Ex-AW pilot, Gunfighters Squadron

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
Re: Starting Trim?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 09:39:44 AM »
As far as I know you can't change the setup at all. But, if you go to the flight preferences you can disable combat trim, it will keep everything centered and allow you to adjust it your self. 
Strokes

Offline ColTomb

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 12:38:49 PM »
You will always need to apply rudder for takeoff due to the torque of the engine, also know as P factor, except in some twins with counter rotating props.

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 12:56:52 PM »
as soon as you hit the tarmac shut off combat trim, then once in the air turn it back on.
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 03:04:15 PM »
Right now whenever I launch on the runway, elevator trim is all the way up, rudder trim is mostly centered, and aileron trim is moved way to the right. This is a pretty good initial setup for single-engine aircraft, but means that I'm having to apply rudder input for a straight takeoff even for multi-engine aircraft. Is there any way to change this setup for multi-engine aircraft? Not sure where this might even get set. It doesn't seem to remember from the prior flight, not sure, but with a multi-engine aircraft I really want rudder and aileron centered on takeoff.
You need to look at different planes, what you're saying is incorrect.  The P38 starts with both rudder and aileron neutral.  The 110 has slight right rudder and some right aileron.  That makes sense as the 38 has counterrotating props while the 110 doesn't. When not using auto-takeoff and in RL aircraft it's perfectly normal to put in rudder and aileron as ColTomb mentions even with a twin providing it doesn't have counterrotating props. 

As far as what the trim will do if you turn CT off it depends on how you've mapped your trim controls.  If you just use the keyboard (or keyboard buttons mapped to the flight controls) then trim will stay where CT has it set.  If, however, you map your trim controls as analog inputs from trim wheels or sliders on your controls then trim will go to where these analog controls are set.  For instance, if CT has full right aileron and you use the keyboard buttons to set trim, the trim will stay full right when you turn CT off.  You can turn CT off by either toggling the CT control or by hitting a trim button.  But, if you have mapped your aileron trim as an analog input to a wheel and the wheel is centered then, when you turn CT off, the aileron trim will move to centered.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 03:19:45 PM by Mace2004 »
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline MonkGF

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 06:56:48 AM »
Thanks, I'll double-check the individual aircraft like the P-38 next time. I do have combat trim off by default and rarely use it anymore, and am using the keyboard. I've just been surprised at how much rudder and stick I'm having to use to keep bombers and 110s on the runway, and I'll double-check the P-38 next time I'm in the arena.
-- Greg Stelmack
-- Ex-AW pilot, Gunfighters Squadron

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 11:51:31 AM »
I donīt use Auto Take off.

I just set elevator trim 1 line above neutral and set flaps , if necessary.

I set 100% and roll, as soon as the airplane raises its tail, I apply WEP if available, and keep rolling, when I hear gear stress sound(you will hear that sound twice before gear breaks...), I lift off keeping nose low, retract gear, and keep accelerating before setting climb, or go after nearby cons.

After landing for rearm/refuel I set Combat Trim so all trim is set as before and set elevator trim manually to my preferred initial position.

Using Auto Take Off ,one is a sitting duck for attackers.

Mutley
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:55:28 AM by MutleyBR »
"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan properly."
Nick Lapos, chief R&D pilot, Sikorsky Aircraft

"To go up, pull the stick. To go down, pull the stick back harder..."

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 04:19:16 PM »
You will always need to apply rudder for takeoff due to the torque of the engine, also know as P factor, except in some twins with counter rotating props.

That's not true , the P38 had counter rotating props.  The torque did not exists as long as both props were developing power.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 04:50:08 PM »
That's not true , the P38 had counter rotating props.  The torque did not exists as long as both props were developing power.

Another reason to fly the P38, you can go to the fridge with out auto climb on!
Strokes

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 05:21:21 PM »
you could just larn to compensate. . . you know (could know) which way the prop turns and with very little expereince you figure out which planes lik to veer right or left depending.  Also not that these effects are also at work when your plane is in the air and become very pronouced in a stall fight. . . so getting a hang of it now is better then trying to dodge the the whole mechanic.

and yes, the 38 and many bombers require very little or no rudder work on takeoff. . .

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 05:37:13 PM »

Sometimes it helps to read to the end of the sentence before you respond.  :D 

ColTomb it's not P-factor it's the spiral slipstream. P-factor is asymmetric disk loading and it's not easy to notice the effects.

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 10:03:19 PM »
To the OP,

The P38 is the only aircraft in game with counter-rotating props. All other aircraft in the game requires some degree of rudder input for manual takeoff- regardless of trim settings. If I were you, make it easy on yourself by learning to use rudder on takeoff. Fiddling with the combat trim too much on takeoff just makes things more complicated than need be... especially when you have to retrim when engaging in a dogfight.

If I am not mistaken, the P38 was the only twin engine fighter in WW2 to have the counter-rotating propeller configuration. The P38 also represented lot of "firsts" in military aviation history. But that is for another thead in another topic.
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline ColTomb

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 03:42:23 AM »
Here is a bit of info on P-factor,asymmetric disk loading, ect. FLS has got to do a little research on this subject,

and I fell into the same myth as many others. Here is quote from the article that I also did not know.

"The vertical fin and rudder have been installed at a slight angle,
so they are aligned with the actual airflow, not with the axis of the aircraft".

Thanks FLS. I learned a little something today. Here's the link.

http://www.qmfc.org/school/asym.htm

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 10:56:24 AM »
Here is a bit of info on P-factor,asymmetric disk loading, ect. FLS has got to do a little research on this subject,

and I fell into the same myth as many others. Here is quote from the article that I also did not know.

"The vertical fin and rudder have been installed at a slight angle,
so they are aligned with the actual airflow, not with the axis of the aircraft".

Thanks FLS. I learned a little something today. Here's the link.

http://www.qmfc.org/school/asym.htm

Your link explicitly supports my position. Why do you think I need more research?

Offline ColTomb

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 11:56:10 PM »
No FLS that was a typo error. I needed the research, and learned a littel in the process.
Again thanks for bringing that to my attention. should have said "has got ME to do".
omitted that me part....It was very early in the morning...