Author Topic: What's up with the Orange arena and the arena's in general  (Read 3669 times)

Online oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
Re: What's up with the Orange arena and the arena's in general
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2010, 07:01:15 PM »
Lets say that they make the caps 350. 400 people log on. You will have 350 in one arena, and 50 in the other. With the dynamic caps in place like they have it now, that same 400 is closer to 200 in each area.

I don't know about you, but if I can't get into one arena I'd like to see the other arena have 200 players instead of 50. Like Lusche said, a couple of years ago when the dynamic caps kicked in there were enough people logging in at that time that the numbers climbed fairly quickly. Now, not as many people are logging on so it takes MUCH longer for the numbers to climb.

I really wish Hitech or Pyro would chime in here and let us know what they think and why they are doing things the way they are. At least the info would be there to point out and everyone would know. I know not everyone would like it, but atleast they would KNOW what the deal is.
True, but I dont see the #s being consistent enough to even warrant a cap system. Anything less than 200 on a large map or 100 on a small map and I think people's mood tends to get more on plowing less defended areas and ignoring getting horded on the other.
 Although I LOVE the choice of having 2 LW arenas available most of the time, the same scenario comes and goes: LWO:Rook or bish ENY at 24 and both bashing nits because they have no #s. LWB: Nit ENY 24 and they are off bashing some less defended part of the map. Although I dont mind side switching at all, my point being you have 2 arenas that limit players and everyones off to reset the map because noone wants to defend. Product being horde or be horded. Definatly NOT fun on any side.
Last weekend, #s were well balanced as the fights IMO. Yes there were hordes, but the hordes were countered by defending hordes because having a larger populated area, people are more willing to defend when they see 10 others upping. Last weekend was in fact the most fun my squaddies and I had in a long time and that was the reason.
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2010, 07:17:38 PM »
Some of the guy's that's been around for ever act like there scared to speak up and say any thing .

Or maybe some of us that have been around for ever aren't bothered by the arena caps as it doesn't affect us at all.  I have no problems getting into any arena I choose to.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2010, 07:27:07 PM »
Uh, my post was just a little over an hour after yours.

isn't it grand when the people we need to hear something intelligent and important from the most in this conversation have nothing more to say than to quibble of insignificant and truly minor side issues brought up in the conversation?

thanx for the amazing insight into finding a resolution for the problem.

split arena's and caps may at one time have served a purpose, but the problems that it was intended to cure have long since become a thing of the past. the cure has out lived it's purpose and now creates it's own form of infectious discontent amongst the masses.

facts for me stand as this; sign on look for squaddies, cant find squaddies then maybe stay for a bit and see if they show up, find squaddies and cant fly with them because of caps ask them if they are having a good time with alot of fights, if they are not ask them to come into other arena so we can stir up some crap as a group, if they are having a good time then i wont ask so they wont feel obligated, instead i tell them to have a good night and ill catch them later on, sign out find something else to do with my time.

I am a Muppet and i enjoy the company of my squad, to hang out with my squad and my best friend, who is also a Muppet, are the only reasons i came back after being gone for almost a year. i like the game OK enough, but my foundation for being here is purely for the company. there are millions of games of many types out there that i can spend endless hours playing, but in this one is where i found the company i like to keep. thus if caps prevent me from hanging with those individuals whose companionship serves as the foundation of my membership in aces high, then i will soon find that i have no foundation for wasting my time or money doing something that to me is limited in its overall appeal.

hell i get as much if not more entertainment here on the BBS as i generally get from playing the game, here i never get screen pauses, booted, HO'd, picked etc etc, and i can be here for free.

no this is not a whine or complaint, and this is not a "do it my way and make me happy or ill leave!" post, its a simple statement of facts based on my views. the truth of the matter is that when i get tired of paying for something that, due to built in or perceived circumstances, i derive little or no pleasure from, then i will stop paying for it.

the staff at hitech can act as great and grand and disinterested in post's as they choose, but the bottom line is this, unhappy people do not long pay for entertainment that they don't find fun and interesting, and this fact controls their bottom line.

but if they ARE out to get you,are you REALLY paranoid?   :noid

SEE I KNEW THEY WERE OUT TO GET ME!!!!!!!!!!!
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2010, 07:54:49 PM »
isn't it grand when the people we need to hear something intelligent and important from the most in this conversation have nothing more to say than to quibble of insignificant and truly minor side issues brought up in the conversation?

split arena's and caps may at one time have served a purpose, but the problems that it was intended to cure have long since become a thing of the past. the cure has out lived it's purpose and now creates it's own form of infectious discontent amongst the masses.

facts for me stand as this; sign on look for squaddies, cant find squaddies then maybe stay for a bit and see if they show up, find squaddies and cant fly with them because of caps ask them if they are having a good time with alot of fights, if they are not ask them to come into other arena so we can stir up some crap as a group, if they are having a good time then i wont ask so they wont feel obligated, instead i tell them to have a good night and ill catch them later on, sign out find something else to do with my time.

I am a Muppet and i enjoy the company of my squad, to hang out with my squad and my best friend, who is also a Muppet, are the only reasons i came back after being gone for almost a year. i like the game OK enough, but my foundation for being here is purely for the company. there are millions of games of many types out there that i can spend endless hours playing, but in this one is where i found the company i like to keep. thus if caps prevent me from hanging with those individuals whose companionship serves as the foundation of my membership in aces high, then i will soon find that i have no foundation for wasting my time or money doing something that to me is limited in its overall appeal.

hell i get as much if not more entertainment here on the BBS as i generally get from playing the game, here i never get screen pauses, booted, HO'd, picked etc etc, and i can be here for free.

no this is not a whine or complaint, and this is not a "do it my way and make me happy or ill leave!" post, its a simple statement of facts based on my views. the truth of the matter is that when i get tired of paying for something that, due to built in or perceived circumstances, i derive little or no pleasure from, then i will stop paying for it.

the staff at hitech can act as great and grand and disinterested in post's as they choose, but the bottom line is this, unhappy people do not long pay for entertainment that they don't find fun and interesting, and this fact controls their bottom line.

SEE I KNEW THEY WERE OUT TO GET ME!!!!!!!!!!!

got 1 question though.....do we know who "they" are?  :noid :O :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2010, 07:58:03 PM »
got 1 question though.....do we know who "they" are?  :noid :O :devil

Im not sure.........but i know "they" are all around us!!!!!!!!!!!
FLOTSOM

Quote from Skuzzy

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2010, 08:07:34 PM »
Skuzzy, people complain about this game ?
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2010, 08:22:45 PM »

The problem is Flotsom, for as long as there have been Arena Caps, the folks at HTC HAVE been answering why they are there. Over, and over, and over. The problem is, people do not care for, or accept the answers as given.
Fact: HTC has stated multiple times that the size of the arena became as such that the game suffered.
Fact: HTC has directly been able to correlate implementation of arena caps with a rise in business.

Have things changed since then? Perhaps. Perhaps not. You and I do not have access to that data. However, HTC made a decision in the best interests of his business, and if he decides the caps are no longer serving their purpose, or even worse, hurting his income, then he will change what's implemented. What is he supposed to do until then? Just copy and paste the same response he's given over and over again? Here's just 3 examples of them giving answers...
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,221928.msg2677826.html#msg2677826
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,264069.msg3289222.html#msg3289222
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,264069.msg3323611.html#msg3323611

We're not going to get info you want, because unless that info is "we're removing caps", you won't be satisfied. How do I know that? Because you aren't satisfied now, even though the reasoning behind the implementation of Arena Caps have been posted many times prior, and you aren't satisfied.

Look, I'm not saying I entirely disagree with you when it comes to caps. I am not the biggest fan either. But to accuse the crew at HTC of not answering questions about caps is just mind boggling, when they've done so many, many times.

Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2010, 08:25:10 PM »
Have things changed since then? Perhaps. Perhaps not. You and I do not have access to that data.

Yes, they have, and yes, we have a access to a lot of data.

We're not going to get info you want, because unless that info is "we're removing caps", you won't be satisfied. How do I know that? Because you aren't satisfied now, even though the reasoning behind the implementation of Arena Caps have been posted many times prior, and you aren't satisfied.

These many times you are citing are from years ago. Back then I could (grudgingly ;)) live with caps. Now I can't, because the environment they are operating has changed and the result they produce is much different than back then
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 08:28:11 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline JHerne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2010, 08:36:44 PM »
Caps bother me for other reasons, aside from the obvious aforementioned reasons posted above.

My biggest gripe, being semi-retired and playing during the day, is that we'll have a huge map with 100 total players in it. That equates to roughly 33 per side, spread out over huge tracts of cartoon land.

While I don't typically enjoy the massive hording furball, I do like to have the choice of combat - I can fly a fighter, bomber, up a GV, etc.

The most fun I've had in this game recently came last weekend when we had a huge map and 350+ players.

Not whinin', just saying.

J
Skunkworks AvA Researcher and
Primary Cause of Angst

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2010, 09:06:14 PM »
Yes, they have, and yes, we have a access to a lot of data.

Except some crucial data like subscription numbers and the business revenue figures.  We can claim the numbers are in decline but without knowing what the subscription numbers, whatever claims people make will be inaccurate.  We also don't have the revenue figures and as such, we cannot make any accurate claims that revenue has gone down.  All people can do is make assumptions and inaccurate ones at that.  So, while we do have a lot of data it's just all assumption and conjecture without the critical data.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 09:41:11 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2010, 09:19:09 PM »
when the question has changed then the answers need to be revisited. that was my point. the total number of players on at any one time has dropped dramatically, thus the caps are no longer needed as they currently are, so if they are to remain then a well thought out and intelligently put answer to the questions of why they remain is in order.

when skuzzy could take the time to make a correction to someones post, a correction that was of no real value to the conversation, but could not take the same amount of time to answer why the caps were still necessary in the face of the dwindling numbers, then personally i feel insulted and of little importance in his opinion.

if enough people have asked the same question over and over and appear to not comprehend the answer you have been giving, then maybe it is time to reevaluate the answer you are giving and consider altering it in a manner so that those who do not understand it or grasp your line of logic will.

i am not one who takes to being asked the same question over and over either. but i do understand that when a person is paying me to provide a service, and the service i am providing is causing them confusion and frustration, it is my obligation to answer them repeatedly and in every way i can think of to attempt to ensure that i will make them understand why things are the way they are. if i choose not to live up to this obligation then i choose to risk losing that individual(s) as a customer.

it is simple basic business 101, satisfy the customer.

Flench is a Muppet, he is my squaddie and i like him. i would not like to lose him as an on-line friend just because someone felt that it was beneath them to stop for a minute and give him the courtesy that he is paying for. even if that answer was given privately and not in a public forum. Flench is a good guy with a level head, if someone picked up a phone and said "hey we understand your distress and we would to make you a happier customer but due to blah blah and blah we have decided that currently it is best for all if things remain the way they are". i am more than certain that Flench would accept what ever they told him and become a much happier customer even though he will no be getting what he wanted. sometimes just being acknowledged with a touch of respect and intelligence is enough.

before you say it, yes i know that they cant possibly call everyone and have a conversation with them on this matter. that was just an exaggerated example. but mass email, a general post etc etc, they can do something.

like i said before, this is not a whine it's a simple statement of facts from my point of view. my view is mine and i don't expect anyone else to follow them, think as you as an individual would choose to. but ask yourself how long you would retain your job if you were as dismissive to those that pay you as it seamed that maybe Skuzzy was to Flench herein.
FLOTSOM

Quote from Skuzzy

Offline DERK13

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2010, 10:33:40 PM »
if you cannot get into orange just tell your squadie to type"alt f4 is cheat codes" on 200 and i bet you will get in

RedTail

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2010, 01:11:06 AM »
I'm not going in a arena with just 20 people in it . If I was going to do that I would play PF .

Don't let the door......................... ........! :cry
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2010, 01:29:54 AM »
Unreal !
BTW : The Hot Soup Mafia , Don't quit anything !
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 01:35:55 AM by Flench »
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2010, 07:06:53 AM »
I still don't understand how the arena cap is preventing anyone from playing.  Yeah I get that you may not be able to play in a certain arena but it certainly is not preventing you from going to another. 

I actually can appreciate the arena caps if it can keep a side from being so lopsided and disrupts the game for everyone. 

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."