Author Topic: AH History: Plane Poll 2007  (Read 1585 times)

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
Re: AH History: Plane Poll 2007
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 08:17:08 AM »
in other words, the b29 will win the popular vote :)

I second your vote for the B-29,,,

:lol

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 08:23:55 AM »
I think each a/c type should be represented on a Japanese game show. Voting is so dry.  ;)
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 09:13:04 AM »
Yes, lets vote. The democracy. Lets vote again and again and again untill there's no American aircraft to add....  :(

Well, I guess it is just as good option as adding planes like the Betty. It is true that the MA-favourites will see more use overall.

Well, I have voted, that's all I can do.

Actually if you have such a big problem with HTC's plane choice you could always design your
own WW2 multiplayer flight sim.  Since the overwhelming majority of HTC's customer base is in
the US, it's not too surprising that people will vote for what they are most familiar with.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 09:16:49 AM by Rino »
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 10:12:17 AM »
Yes, lets vote. The democracy. Lets vote again and again and again untill there's no American aircraft to add....  :(

Well, I guess it is just as good option as adding planes like the Betty. It is true that the MA-favourites will see more use overall.

Well, I have voted, that's all I can do.

2.5 years ago the Brewster was kicked out in the first round... and was still added later. :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 10:29:47 AM »
Point of order: The B-25 and P-39 have turned out to be VERY good adds for a number of scenarios, including early PTO, North Africa/Mediterranean, and the Eastern Front (not so much the B-25 for the Eastern Front, but the P-39 was practically a NECESSITY). Granted, I think the Betty and Oscar should have been first due to the very porous Japanese plane set, but it's REALLY hard to say that the B-25 and P-39 were poor choices taken in context of the entire game.

You didn't get my point. I never said P-39 or B-25 were bad additions. My point is that from here on is that, if we keep voting, A-26, B-29, P-61, SB2C or any American plane that is included in the vote will win over planes that would roundout the planeset better. There really aren't any American planes left to add that enjoy a true "work horse" status in terms of use/numbers except the B-29 which on the otherhand wouldn't add much to the scenarios; not much fun to try to intercept them in a scenario with the Japanese planeset and the US bomber department is over bloated as it is.

(not so much the B-25 for the Eastern Front, but the P-39 was practically a NECESSITY)

P-39 isn't a practical necessity for the Eastern Front. Much more early Yak fighters were delivered in '42/'43 compared to the P-39. Overall, lead-lease is no excuse at all not to include the early Soviet types.

Actually if you have such a big problem with HTC's plane choice you could always design your
own WW2 multiplayer flight sim.

Oh please...

I have a right to voice my opinion just like veryone else. The fact that I threw a bit of sarcasm in there doesn't make my point any less valid though. I guess I could have used a bit different tone. It's just that I've waited couple most important workhorses for the Japanese/Soviet planesets since 2002-2003. So the tone was frustration coming through. The Betty is a great great addition in this regard but with the rate the planes have been coming during the last 3-4 years it can be another two years before we see any gap fillers again. And that is not a dig at HTC at all. I know that there are other areas of the game they also work on. I'm just being a realist.

Since the overwhelming majority of HTC's customer base is in
the US, it's not too surprising that people will vote for what they are most familiar with.

Oh really? Darn, didn't have this figured out. Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 10:31:37 AM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 10:30:32 AM »
2.5 years ago the Brewster was kicked out in the first round... and was still added later. :)

Not an American plane in this context. B239 didn't see operational use with the USN or USAAF.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2010, 10:32:42 AM »
Not an American plane in this context.

Did I say so?

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2010, 10:40:01 AM »
Did I say so?

No you didn't. I guess I misunderstood your point? :confused: Can I kindly ask what was it? :)

EDIT/Sorry sorry, totally misread your original post! darn. Yes, you are correct. But like I said, it takes a lot of time these days./EDIT
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2010, 10:45:29 AM »
From an SEA designers POV I have to say the two best additions I have ever seen in AH were the B-25 and the P-39. They are great to plug into East Front, Med and Pacific setups. They have been absolutely great additions in that regard. I cant think of two planes that were more versatile than those two. Now with the I-16, BREW, and now the G4M Betty, things are really moving along nicely.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2010, 11:00:45 AM »
They are great to plug into East Front

Granded I haven't designed a single scenario but speaking in historical context, I don't really see B-25 as a "great" plugto Eastern Front. While they were delivered to the SU, the numbers were small compared to the overall sceme of things. In terms of performance, it is a good Il-4 replacement but not really a Eastern Front workhorse in the true sense of the word.

Now with the I-16, BREW, and now the G4M Betty, things are really moving along nicely.

Yeh, these planes make a great trend. A trend which I would like to see continued. ;) I guess I'm just too impatient when it comes to the rate at which these things get added. :( I fondly remember "the good old days" when new planes came in huge packs. :cry :old: I do realize that the models are complex nowadays.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2010, 12:36:03 PM »
I think each a/c type should be represented on a Japanese game show. Voting is so dry.  ;)

:rofl
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2010, 04:16:39 PM »
You of all people should know better.....  We never got the Buffalo.  (Which was the voting plane, no?)

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2010, 04:25:55 PM »
You of all people should know better.....  We never got the Buffalo.  (Which was the voting plane, no?)

Yes, I of all people do know   :P

That was more a generic label for the Brewster at that time, it was clear that the Finnish version was meant from start:

Quote from: Pyro
Brewster Buffalo – My sentimental choice to win.  For nearly 12 years, Finns have asked me for this.  Their passion for this plane is contagious.  I’ve wanted to give them one ever since I read Double Fighter Knight about 10 years ago.  That really gave me an appreciation of the FAF and the sturdiness of Finns in general.  Of course, now that I’ve said it’s my sentimental favorite, if it happens to win it will provoke more conspiracy theories than Patrick Ewing going to the Knicks in the first NBA draft lottery.
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,201490.msg2367645.html#msg2367645

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2010, 08:47:48 PM »
I hadn't read that..........  I hope you can forgive my questioning.   :salute
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2010, 08:53:03 PM »
Naah, your objection was valid... And I was just lucky to have a good memory for such petty detail. I'm just cursing at the broken advanced search that makes it difficult to find again  messages that you know to be be out there   :furious