Author Topic: Radar bugs  (Read 2615 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Radar bugs
« on: October 30, 2010, 01:00:28 PM »
What gives with the radar in the MA? Is it supposed to be that a sector filled with cons with altitude only shows a single sliver of dar or is this a bug?  It has been like this for months now.  It is ridiculous.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 01:30:15 PM by Skuzzy »

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
Re: HiTech
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 01:24:19 PM »
I've seen DAR problems for a while as well.........  With using PM's and screenie's, working with the enemy, I have seen DAR differences based on country.  The Bar DAR is not always the same for each country it seems.

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 01:31:56 PM »
IIRC it started happening with the new radar settings in June.  It seems to be on a FSO style delay, although there was no mention of it in the announcenment:

We're using some new radar settings for the main arenas.

The radar deck has been lowered to 65 feet above ground
level and will require challenging nap of the earth
flying to stay below radar.

Tower based radar range has been increased to 20 miles.  
You can view the radar distances right clicking on the
clipboard map and selecting Radar from the display
settings menu.

Darbar also seems to update at different times for each player. RT has a squad con back in August and you could walk around the room and see the different screens showing very different darbars for the same sectors.

Maybe an unintended consequence?  I can't see any added value to gameplay with the delay as it is. 
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 02:08:35 PM »
Interesting.

POTW will have 20+ players on their VOX channel. The past few months everyone has accepted this to be a map bug. At least once an evening dar inconsistancies will be a real topic when we cannot coordinate our efforts. Not everyone sees the same numbers of red cons or same size red bar or some inconsistancy. In the end we don't care because our goal is picking fights to get as many players into a sector as possible to have fun.

We always wondered why HiTech didn't place a special color and icon radar shape on Grizz so everyone had a chance to run and hide....... :angel:
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 02:48:10 PM »
The way is usually works for me is base flashing, radar down, no darbar, no GV spawn.  I drop to 3K to find what's coming NOE and get jumped by a 12K pony and Typhie.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 04:13:22 PM »
LOL... I think I remember that convo.   :D

The way is usually works for me is base flashing, radar down, no darbar, no GV spawn.  I drop to 3K to find what's coming NOE and get jumped by a 12K pony and Typhie.
See Rule #4

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 04:14:22 PM »
The reason you see the darbar where it seems to be on the fritz is this:

The Darbar alt was never changed, while the radar detection was changed. It is now down to 65ft. The Darbar is activated above 500ft, so if you have a low alt fight inside a dar ring without killing the dar... then you're going to see a million and one red dots with little or no darbar.

I also find some NoE missions hilarious for this reason... They stay under 500ft, but above 65 and think they are being slick.
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 04:28:40 PM »
You're not actually reading anybody's conversation are you?

The Darbar alt was never changed, while the radar detection was changed. It is now down to 65ft. The Darbar is activated above 500ft, so if you have a low alt fight inside a dar ring without killing the dar... then you're going to see a million and one red dots with little or no darbar.

I also find some NoE missions hilarious for this reason... They stay under 500ft, but above 65 and think they are being slick.

You, and me, flying different countries, will see a totally different bar DAR representation.  Even if we fly the same country our dar BAR will be totally diff.  We proved that one in August. 
See Rule #4

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2010, 04:29:42 PM »

No, it's not ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 05:15:19 PM »
You're not actually reading anybody's conversation are you?

You, and me, flying different countries, will see a totally different bar DAR representation.  Even if we fly the same country our dar BAR will be totally diff.  We proved that one in August. 

I'm just speaking from experience. I never have dar issues. Though I do hear alot of this conversation. This is the reason I found, or at least all the evidence I've personally experienced has pointed to such. If it's not an all inclusive experience, I apologize for treating it as such.
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline Spite

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2010, 05:42:19 PM »
I'm just speaking from experience. I never have dar issues.

Then you are lucky.  I have been alone in sector at 15K going in to a base to pork ord.  No dar bar at all.  Get close to base and then dar bar appears as well as the con also at 15K.

Have had squaddies over enemy field say "dang look at all those red planes", and as I am upping from neighboring field while I might have a full green dar bar, there is only one notch of red over that enemy field.  Get close to the field and then it adjusts.  It is not representative of reality as it stands now and has been this way far too long.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2010, 05:51:04 PM »
I'm just wondering because it has been like this for a few months now.  Apparently HTC thinks the players are just complete morons when they report things like this.

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »
I'm just wondering because it has been like this for a few months now.  Apparently HTC thinks the players are just complete morons when they report things like this.

You're leaving out a lot of other reasons why HTC might think the players are complete morons.  But darbar is definitely not updating like it used to before June.  I might have to start flying with a butler like everyone else.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2010, 06:14:08 PM »
You're leaving out a lot of other reasons why HTC might think the players are complete morons.

True.

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2010, 06:26:12 PM »

Remember Ren.  :uhoh
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla