Author Topic: rescue plane perked  (Read 2110 times)

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
Re: rescue plane perked
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 03:54:17 PM »
I'd be all for a rescue plane for the only reason to hear players whine after you shoot them while they try to rescue someone.  Then the whole debate on the forums or on Channel 200 about whether not one side regularly did it (yes, all sides did it) would also be priceless.

ack-ack

And then the topic of cartoon honor would come up, and we all know where those go... :bolt:
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 04:20:48 PM »
To add that we would have to make a lot of changes to the game if we just add it and leave things the way they are right now no one would ever use it. What would you rather do end sorti or wait so someone can pick you up so you can end sorti?
It would be interesting, but I just don't see it happening in the near future.

One way to do it would be that if you bail out, you can 'end sortie' as possible, and return to the tower.  Then, you could get someone else to fly to where you bailed in a rescue plane, and if they successfully land and then rtb, your 'bail' becomes a 'ditch' (i.e. you get the extra perk points that you would have gotten if you'd ditched), and the rescuer gets maybe 10/20 perks in a category of his choice.  N.B. the goal of the rescue would be for the rescuer to get perks, not the pilot.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 04:30:15 PM by Yossarian »
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 04:24:30 PM »
One way to do it would be that if you bail out, you can 'end sortie' as possible, and return to the tower.  Then, you could get someone else to fly to where you bailed in a rescue plane, and if they successfully land and then rtb, your 'bail' becomes a 'ditch' (i.e. you get the extra perk points), and the rescuer gets maybe 10/20 perks in a category of his choice.

I feel like if it's important enough to the pilot to save his "perks," then he/she should have to wait for it.

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 04:29:02 PM »
I feel like if it's important enough to the pilot to save his "perks," then he/she should have to wait for it.

I meant that the pilot gaining perks would just be a consequence of a successful rescue, not a cause of it (unless someone got a ridiculous number of kills), but that wouldn't happen to often.  I'll edit my above post to show that.  Also, I think the pilot shouldn't have to wait, since the number of perks he gained would probably be minimal (assuming he'd gain any at all).  If the pilot did have to wait, the whole system would probably be useless anyway, since nobody would want to wait anyway.

The main purpose of what I suggested would be to add an extra dimension to the game, that's all.

Also, since I can easily see people just doing that all day to gain extra perks (and thus reducing the amount of combat in-game), perhaps: a) the number of perks awarded to the rescuer would be a function of the distance to the downed pilot, and b) a pilot could only conduct 1 or 2 rescues per hour.

EDIT: maybe the 'bailed', 'captured', 'ditched' and 'landed' categories would have to be renamed...not sure though.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 04:33:23 PM by Yossarian »
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2010, 01:33:08 AM »
I have change my mind over rescue plane because the political ramifications are to intense to contemplate! :uhoh :cry
 :rofl
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2010, 04:12:56 AM »
I have change my mind over rescue plane because the political ramifications are to intense to contemplate! :uhoh :cry
 :rofl

:old:

Offline beddog

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2010, 06:47:01 PM »
If there were rescue vehicles then no one in the 80th would have time to fly as we would constantly be rescueing eachother.

We have the most grounded flight crews along with the largest selection of "slightly used" 38 parts in the industry.

LOL  you need to recruit rescue pilots huh?   :)
:disclaimer: 79% of all my posts are Sarcastic.  It's too much work for me to point out which posts are sarcastic and which aren't, so I'm going to use this signature to reduce overhead and sarcastic post identification time consumption or SPITC for short.

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 10:43:12 AM »
LOL  you need to recruit rescue pilots huh?   :)

Negative, the new pilots we recruit are refered to as Bold Action Intensive Trainers or the acronym B.A.I.T.

Only the most experienced in our squad become rescue pilots.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 11:11:12 AM »
I think the closest thing to a rescue plane that might show up in this game, is an air recon plane. That searches for carriers and other such things.

What would we need them for?  In real life fighters were too valuable to assign to many other roles  - they were needed as fighters, and so aircraft that weren't fighters were used for other roles.  

In AH we have a free, unlimited supply of fighters.  Unless you can think of some arbitrary "edge" to doing so, just how many people are going to take up an unarmed, unarmored light aircraft when they can simply fly a 51D or Thunderbolt (excluding events.)

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 11:18:26 AM »
I have lost interest in my own thread :old:

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 12:47:39 PM »
I have lost interest in my own thread :old:

Too bad because the idea of a rescue boat is intriguing as it does open a myriad of ethical complexities to the game that isn't in the game.  Personally, I really am in favor of it because they would be really fun to shoot down, especially like Yeager suggested.  It was be a blast to wait until the rescue was in motion and then diving down and strafing as the rescue plane picks up the pilot.  Better yet, would be to hide somewhere down range and wait until the rescue plane has picked up the downed player and is taking off.  When the rescue plane is starting to lift off and bringing up the gear with the rescue pilot and rescued player thinking they've pulled it off and out of the woods, you POUNCE and blow them out of the sky...so close, yet so far.

The more I think of it, we should also have those floating rescue platforms that were put in the English Channel, if you get shot down over water and one is close by you can do the Jesus walk on the water to the platform and call a rescue plane.  These platforms would make excellent bombing targets, a nice stationary target. 

Then we'll need life boats for the fleet.  When any of the ships in a task force is sunk and there is player onboard, they'd automatically be spawned in a life boat.  This would give us attackers an additional target and we can pull a Bush Sr. and strafe the life boats.

The more I think about it, the more I am receptive to the idea of rescue craft in the game.  The targets and kills they would provide would be great fun.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2010, 06:04:23 PM »
You are an evil, evil man Ack-Ack... :confused:

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2010, 06:53:35 PM »
Too bad because the idea of a rescue boat is intriguing as it does open a myriad of ethical complexities to the game that isn't in the game.  Personally, I really am in favor of it because they would be really fun to shoot down, especially like Yeager suggested.  It was be a blast to wait until the rescue was in motion and then diving down and strafing as the rescue plane picks up the pilot.  Better yet, would be to hide somewhere down range and wait until the rescue plane has picked up the downed player and is taking off.  When the rescue plane is starting to lift off and bringing up the gear with the rescue pilot and rescued player thinking they've pulled it off and out of the woods, you POUNCE and blow them out of the sky...so close, yet so far.

The more I think of it, we should also have those floating rescue platforms that were put in the English Channel, if you get shot down over water and one is close by you can do the Jesus walk on the water to the platform and call a rescue plane.  These platforms would make excellent bombing targets, a nice stationary target. 

Then we'll need life boats for the fleet.  When any of the ships in a task force is sunk and there is player onboard, they'd automatically be spawned in a life boat.  This would give us attackers an additional target and we can pull a Bush Sr. and strafe the life boats.

The more I think about it, the more I am receptive to the idea of rescue craft in the game.  The targets and kills they would provide would be great fun.

ack-ack

You can be my jeep hunting wingman anytime.

Offline Ping

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2010, 05:32:51 AM »
Add rescue planes and we could add 3 to the planeset.
Bv 138   :x
Short Sunderland
PBY Catalina

Any Japanese rescue planes out there?

If Subs get added they could also serve as resupply craft and
also serve as Sub hunters and Mine sweepers.

There is actually a very good use for these craft if the uses are implemented
into the Strat system.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 05:37:08 AM by Ping »
I/JG2 Enemy Coast Ahead

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2010, 05:44:32 AM »
Ack Ack is scaring me now :cry
 :banana: :banana:

The GFC