Author Topic: Is Halloween dying?  (Read 1129 times)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: Is Halloween dying?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2010, 01:58:45 PM »
I didn't see any kids out and about trick or treating last night.  Is this tradition going by the wayside?

Depends on the area I guess.  I ran out of candy 3 times last night.  Little kids kept coming until 9:30pm
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2010, 02:10:28 PM »
We didn't have a bunch but we had more in this new house than in our old on the other side of town last year. Probably 15-20 but my neighborhood doesn't have any sidewalks and its either completely up a 30 degree grade from my house to the top of the hill or the opposite down and there are a bunch of little kids (5 and under) so its difficult to get them to go to more than a few houses anyway.

Couple that with the loss of homes and age of kids in other areas and I am sure that all spells disaster in some areas for Halloween.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline bagrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2010, 02:32:52 PM »
Only a few trick or treaters came by maybe 4 or 5, usually the neighbor children. They say they were coming from halloween parties an such. Parents probably just feel it is more reasonable to take the kids to a party amongst friends instead of going door to door and hoping some loon didn't  put poison or razor blades in the candy.

I wanted to sit in my front yard looking like an inanimate zombie, so when kids walk by I scare the hek outta em'. Decided not to though as I'm sure the mommys woulda been plenty furious at me for scaring there children on this night of spooks an scares. :devil
Last post by bagrat - The last thing you'll see before your thread dies since 2005.

Offline scot12b

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2010, 03:30:31 PM »
Halloween being on a Sunday and a Pats up here it there were not that many kids out as there were last year!  My kids still had fun :D

I think the kids having school the next day and football put a big cramp in it this year  :cheers:

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2010, 03:55:18 PM »
I spent most of the evening over at my Mothers (actually in the city, as opposed to where I live about a mile outside of it) watching scary movies. We only had about two dozen come through (not counting parents), and most of those were teenagers. I'd say only about 5 kids under 10 years old out of the whole evening. She didn't even finish off the first bag of candy.

GF's parents who live across the street from us say they didn't get a single one this year, and have averaged less than a dozen each year for more than a decade.
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 07:12:44 PM »
Same here guys, I have been doing plenty of recon over the years in my neighborhood, and I've found the best places to raid, and when.  Here's my Special Forces, Untold Story.  It was known as, Operation: Saccharine.  

Thus, with pillowcase in hand, I rallied my team for what was to be, unknown to us, our last Halloween.  After suiting up, powering on, and setting our phasers to kill, we burst out of the door!  As our howling banshee screams pierced the crisp night air, so did our eyes the darkness of the empty streets.

Jaws dropped, along with pillowcases and tears, I looked at my watch, studied my maps, and rechecked my charts to explain an anomaly of such scale.  Realizing that a late-night-out may have occurred, I sounded retreat.  

After retooling for a darker, faster, harder attack, I felt confident that we would succeed.  Saying a few tender farewells, we silently slipped out the back door, hoping to catch the candy-mass as it moved eastward across the town.  Laying low in dank, muddy ditches, creeping silently on our bellies through quiet, dusty meadows, we emerged onto a parking lot.  We were scratched, bruised, dirty and ragged, but we had followed the plan to the letter.

As we stepped into town, the first thing I heard was not pretend gunshots, boos, hisses or yelps, but a scream.  Earsplitting, heartrending and tender as new, sweet clover, I couldn't help but shed a tear over it.  Yes, even with all our efforts, the plan had failed miserably.  The streets were dark, desolate and silent even at the projected peak hour.

A long, gruelling march home brought the cruel reality to my eyes, Halloween had died not, in the heat of battle, but tossed away and deserted, in the hearts and minds of those who had forgotten it.

:salute My dear Halloween, may you rest in peace.

-Penguin
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 07:31:06 PM by Penguin »

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 07:14:27 PM »
that was just.. beautiful man *tear

:rofl
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 07:28:11 PM »
Had plenty of six foot tall trick or treaters.

Teenagers shouldn't be trick or treating

I honestly don't see the problem with it.
(Then again, my parents celebrated getting hitched by going trick-or-treating right after their wedding, this sunday was their 20th anniversary)

I actually got yelled at and a door slammed in my face by a middle aged man last night for going out for candy. The kicker is that I was actually taking my best friend's kid brother (he's 8) with me since this is the first year my friend couldn't do it (he's deployed in the Mid-East), apparently the man didn't see the shy little one hiding behind me. People honestly need to lighten up, its a holiday where people are supposed to be merry and have fun.

The highlight of the night was watching the 8 year old knock on the door and then chew out the old man for being rude to me.  :rofl

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 07:35:03 PM »
that was just.. beautiful man *tear

:rofl

Thanks, but why are you laughing?  Do you know the years of meticulous recon, planning, and calculation went into that mission?  Each member was on a need-to-know basis, for having another group get head of us and 'pick us off', would have ruined it all!

Oi vay, the misunderstanding here for Veterans of Halloween.

-Penguin

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2010, 07:51:14 PM »
Thanks, but why are you laughing?  Do you know the years of meticulous recon, planning, and calculation went into that mission?  Each member was on a need-to-know basis, for having another group get head of us and 'pick us off', would have ruined it all!

Oi vay, the misunderstanding here for Veterans of Halloween.

-Penguin

The (lack of) horror.... The (lack of) horror....  :(
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 08:07:04 PM »
The (lack of) horror.... The (lack of) horror....  :(

Oh well, you guys wouldn't know what it had been like.  I wouldn't recommend trying it.

-Penguin

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2010, 08:42:28 PM »
My little ones made out like bandits last night.  :aok

All i got was sore feet  :lol ( and a pack of Now and Laters )

Lots of kids out around here last night
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 09:27:30 PM »
'People honestly need to lighten up'

with this I agree 100%

Cool of you to take your buddies bro..  :salute
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2010, 09:30:16 PM »
Had like none in my area, bought a big bag and maybe gave 1/10th of it away.

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2010, 09:42:06 PM »
Had plenty of six foot tall trick or treaters.

Teenagers shouldn't be trick or treating

Why not? It can be pretty fun, if one has a clever costume prepared. Not to mention one is then able to  hang around the girl from next door whom is wearing hardly anything and a pair of psuedo-animal ears.   :cheers:
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes