Author Topic: Cowling flaps  (Read 831 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Cowling flaps
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 01:57:06 PM »
From a aerodynamics standpoint it does actually make sense..................  A minuscule amount of additional drag.  But I can't see how that would be more effective than a hard rudder move.  And I really can see how that additional drag would do anymore than say stick your head out the window. 

The cowling flaps are not going to force an overshoot when deployed.  You'd also be hard pressed to find any pilot that would try and use the cowling flaps that way and risk damaging or destroying the engine.  Closing the cowling flaps to clean up the airframe when deadstick and gliding I can understand as the reduction in drag can help with the gliding but the cowling flaps will not create enough drag when opened to act as an air brake and force an overshoot.  The cowling flaps were used to maintain engine temperatures but I guess when people see "flaps" they think of normal flaps.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 01:57:30 PM »
From a aerodynamics standpoint it does actually make sense..................  A minuscule amount of additional drag.  But I can't see how that would be more effective than a hard rudder move.  And I really can see how that additional drag would do anymore than say stick your head out the window. 

FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 11:55:30 AM »
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 12:34:08 PM »
Imagine that every time you touch your flaps at high speed you lose them, and realistically they would come off one after the other (not at the same time) putting you in a snap roll and possibly braking your wing from stress.
wouldnt mind this :aok
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy