Author Topic: Cowling flaps  (Read 832 times)

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
Cowling flaps
« on: November 02, 2010, 11:49:17 AM »
Why don't we have cowling flaps on the American radial planes with r2800 engines?? They can help landing and forced overshoots and can add a bit of realism!!
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
Re: Cowling flaps
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 11:52:26 AM »
+100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 11:55:09 AM »
Perhaps then they'd have to model engine management and you'd have to sit on the taxiway for something like 20 minutes while you go through the checklists and run-ups...
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 11:59:59 AM »
Perhaps then they'd have to model engine management and you'd have to sit on the taxiway for something like 20 minutes while you go through the checklists and run-ups...
Lol the 109 crank start will take forever!!
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 12:05:19 PM »
Especially if troops are down at the base.   :D
My Current Rig:

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 12:07:16 PM »
Especially if troops are down at the base.   :D
:lol
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 12:51:38 PM »
Cowling flaps force an overshoot?  LOL! 

JOACH1M, I know you're a kid and all but do you know what cowling flaps did and how they worked?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 12:53:16 PM »
Wait, cowling flaps aren't airbrakes?   :huh
My Current Rig:

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 01:02:20 PM »
Why don't we have cowling flaps on the American radial planes with r2800 engines?? They can help landing and forced overshoots and can add a bit of realism!!

Have you noticed that we don't have mixture control on any plane? You would have to change it every time you change your altitude.
If everything was that realistic you would sit on the ground for at least a half hour doing your pre-flight and then blow your engine just because your not familiar with all the aircraft's procedures. Imagine that every time you touch your flaps at high speed you lose them, and realistically they would come off one after the other (not at the same time) putting you in a snap roll and possibly braking your wing from stress.

I see where your coming from, it's a good idea just not for this game with so many aircraft, if your looking for something that realistic look at Falcon 04, it has a 4 inch manual that goes with it and only one airplane to fly.
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 01:28:45 PM »
Have you noticed that we don't have mixture control on any plane? You would have to change it every time you change your altitude.
If everything was that realistic you would sit on the ground for at least a half hour doing your pre-flight and then blow your engine just because your not familiar with all the aircraft's procedures. Imagine that every time you touch your flaps at high speed you lose them, and realistically they would come off one after the other (not at the same time) putting you in a snap roll and possibly braking your wing from stress.

I see where your coming from, it's a good idea just not for this game with so many aircraft, if your looking for something that realistic look at Falcon 04, it has a 4 inch manual that goes with it and only one airplane to fly.
I'm just saying when your gear came out they deployed, sorry didn't mention that. And I know that isn't realistic either but in warbirds they came out when gear dropped.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 01:29:18 PM »
Nay, nay, nay please.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 01:31:24 PM »
I'm just saying when your gear came out they deployed, sorry didn't mention that. And I know that isn't realistic either but in warbirds they came out when gear dropped.

Oh so you mean just the automated visual effect, yeah I guess that would look nice. Maybe even when you speed drop bellow 150 (or what ever it is for the specific aircraft).
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2010, 01:32:41 PM »
Oh so you mean just the automated visual effect, yeah I guess that would look nice. Maybe even when you speed drop bellow 150 (or what ever it is for the specific aircraft).
Ya I didn't mean for them to be fully functional, I should have stated that earlier lol
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2010, 01:46:59 PM »
But please as I am curious JOACH1M, how can the cowl flaps be used to create an over shoot? 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2010, 01:49:21 PM »
From a aerodynamics standpoint it does actually make sense..................  A minuscule amount of additional drag.  But I can't see how that would be more effective than a hard rudder move.  And I really can see how that additional drag would do anymore than say stick your head out the window. 

But please as I am curious JOACH1M, how can the cowl flaps be used to create an over shoot? 

ack-ack
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.