Author Topic: Who didn't vote for B29  (Read 5918 times)

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
Re: Who didn't vote for B29
« Reply #195 on: November 02, 2010, 07:42:27 PM »
"Granted the A26 should excell at that, but fight??? Nope auger/bail rinse and repeat."

Its role should be just like the A20, in midwar.  It's my mudmover that I can fight with.  Granted most don't fight with it properly (only had one student ask for it), but those of us that do, really enjoy the A20.  No reason to think that the A26 won't have the same role and surviveability in late war, as the A20 does in midwar.

:salute
BigRat   

Exactly!  :aok

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #196 on: November 02, 2010, 08:18:48 PM »
"Granted the A26 should excell at that, but fight??? Nope auger/bail rinse and repeat."

Its role should be just like the A20, in midwar.  It's my mudmover that I can fight with.  Granted most don't fight with it properly (only had one student ask for it), but those of us that do, really enjoy the A20.  No reason to think that the A26 won't have the same role and surviveability in late war, as the A20 does in midwar.

:salute
BigRat   

I agree 100% it should, but will it? I don't think so. Thats what I'm trying to say here. People like you and Cobia and a bunch of others "get it". I too think it's a blast turn fighting in an A20. I love surprising the heck out of someone who thought they had an easy kill. They may still get it....especially with me at the controls, but they have to "fight" for it if they want it.

Today people don't look at the planes like we did years ago. In AW there were some guys that were just flat out deadly in an A26. They would come in and drop their load and then cap at 5-7k over the field. You won't find that today. If the A26 makes it in you'll see it used little more than the B25s are now. B29s will be the new Lancstuka...SuperStuka?

Until game play gets better all these new "toys" are going to be just that. That new toy your kid just HAS TO HAVE this Christmas, and it will be forgotten by New years. Thats why I wish the Beau, or the Oscar, even another Yak would have made it in instead. Atleast the hard core guys that fly the FSO and Senarios would use them and appreciate them. 

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #197 on: November 02, 2010, 08:45:53 PM »
Today people don't look at the planes like we did years ago. In AW there were some guys that were just flat out deadly in an A26. They would come in and drop their load and then cap at 5-7k over the field. You won't find that today.

The main reason why players were successful in fighting with the A-26 in AW had nothing to do with how good the A-26 was but more due to the bad flight model that allowed all bombers in AW to fly like Zekes.  That is why you had planes like the A-26 and B-17 that could out turn and out stall fight any fighter in the game. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #198 on: November 02, 2010, 09:00:37 PM »
The main reason why players were successful in fighting with the A-26 in AW had nothing to do with how good the A-26 was but more due to the bad flight model that allowed all bombers in AW to fly like Zekes.  That is why you had planes like the A-26 and B-17 that could out turn and out stall fight any fighter in the game. 

ack-ack

Agreed Ack-Ack, it's like comparing apples to oranges, but you must admit that there are are those that can and more importantly WILL push their ride for all it's worth. You can't tell me BigRat and Cobia wouldn't fight the A26 with a bit more success than the A20 now just due to it having more guns. I'm sure other will catch on to it as well, but the vast majority won't bother, and that is whats slowly killing the game. It's much easier, and much quicker to dump your load, and bail as soon as the bombs explode, because after all we MUST Winz da waz!!!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 02, 2010, 10:03:04 PM »

Wow!!! Lets everyone take this personally!

First off anything over 51% is the majority, so that leave lots of room for people that still have a clue. No I really don't see much chance of combat with the choices left. You know as well as I that it's going to come down to the A26 or the B29. With either all we are going to see more dive bombing in buffs. Granted the A26 should excell at that, but fight??? Nope auger/bail rinse and repeat.

5-7 years ago you wouldn't have seen anything but fighters on that list. Back then that was what the game was about. We had a couple of buffs and mission did very well with them. Now all you see is people grabbing the biggest bomb load they can to dive bomb single GVs  :rolleyes:

You seem to be suffering from severe bout of nostalgica ...

5 years ago nothing was different in that regard. When I joined the game, tanks were carpet bombed the very same way they are today. Folks were bomb n bailing. Back then the race for reset was even worse because of the different rules to win the war.

And we wouldn't have seen any thing but fighters on the list? You mean that Pyro, who compiled the list in the first place went from a fight loving fighter guy to a stout supporter of bombers? ;)

And what about the constant requests for the B-29... did thay start only recently? Or could it be that they are even as old as this game? ;) (Impossible - "back then it was all about fighters"  :lol)

"We had a couple of buffs and mission did very well with them."  well, we have more than a couple of fighters and missions do very well with them too ...

Oh and again_: Why is only fighter vs fighter being defined as "combat". When I go up and hunt buffs... that is not combat?

Edit: And a last thing, on the tank hunting buffs. You might check the numbers on that. Only a very small fraction of tanks killed by planes is being carpet bombed by buffs. (in 2009, 2.9% by Lancs)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 10:19:00 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #200 on: November 02, 2010, 10:26:17 PM »
The A-26 has wing loading of over 50lbs/sq.ft.  It will not make anything like as good a "fighter" as the A-20G.

This is a plane that an Fw190D-9 can out turn in every sense of the word.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #201 on: November 02, 2010, 10:46:01 PM »
I am formally introducing:
P.A.S.S.

Players Against Superfortress Silliness

:neener:
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline fbWldcat

• Gold Member
« Reply #202 on: November 02, 2010, 10:54:07 PM »
P.A.S.S.

Diggin' the new avatar, Ranger!  :aok
Landing is overrated.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I: I took the one less traveled by." - Robert Frost
"Uncommon valor was a common virtue." <S>

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #203 on: November 02, 2010, 11:08:41 PM »
Well this has been a fun read!  :aok

* I for one see bombers being used in a much different role than dive bombing GVs.  The little squad I'm in usually riles up quite a bit of combat around us every time we fly those cowardly bombers.

* None of these planes are going to drastically change the game.  Inevitably the B-29 will be perked and eventually these perked planes will find their place.  Like someone else said, HTC put the aircraft in the poll so obviously he isn't too worried about the effect on the game.

* The current bombers we have can take down all the hangers at a field, but not in one pass.  Why is the B-29 going to be so much more drastically devastating?  Maybe he has the ord to take out the hangers at multiple fields, but the hangers at the first field will already be popping before he's done with the second. 
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Beefcake

• Gold Member
« Reply #204 on: November 02, 2010, 11:38:03 PM »
Well this has been a fun read!  :aok

* I for one see bombers being used in a much different role than dive bombing GVs.  The little squad I'm in usually riles up quite a bit of combat around us every time we fly those cowardly bombers.

* None of these planes are going to drastically change the game.  Inevitably the B-29 will be perked and eventually these perked planes will find their place.  Like someone else said, HTC put the aircraft in the poll so obviously he isn't too worried about the effect on the game.

* The current bombers we have can take down all the hangers at a field, but not in one pass.  Why is the B-29 going to be so much more drastically devastating?  Maybe he has the ord to take out the hangers at multiple fields, but the hangers at the first field will already be popping before he's done with the second. 

But but but but Jayhawk my bombing brother, don't you understand? The B29 would horribly unbalance the arena! I mean most planes wouldn't be able to catch it way up there in space where ALL buff pilots fly and fighter pilots NEVER venture. It would be used to close the bases on an entire front because buff pilots only live to hinder the humble and honorable fighter pilot. It's fast and has lots of pointy sticks coming out of the rear which means the humble fighter pilot cannot get cheap kills of it. It's big and would require a lot of time to make, and that time could be used to add in a P51H or a new P38, how about another Spitfire or 109. You know something we really need!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 11:39:51 PM by Beefcake »
Retired Bomber Dweeb - 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #205 on: November 03, 2010, 12:09:01 AM »
But but but but Jayhawk my bombing brother, don't you understand? The B29 would horribly unbalance the arena! I mean most planes wouldn't be able to catch it way up there in space where ALL buff pilots fly and fighter pilots NEVER venture. It would be used to close the bases on an entire front because buff pilots only live to hinder the humble and honorable fighter pilot. It's fast and has lots of pointy sticks coming out of the rear which means the humble fighter pilot cannot get cheap kills of it. It's big and would require a lot of time to make, and that time could be used to add in a P51H or a new P38, how about another Spitfire or 109. You know something we really need!

:rofl
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline SWkiljoy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #206 on: November 03, 2010, 07:22:37 AM »
P.A.S.S.

I'm in on this  :aok
Proud member and Flight Leader of the 125th Spartan Warriors
<<S>> SWkiljoy

Offline Boozeman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #207 on: November 03, 2010, 08:17:51 AM »
And a not very good one at that as well.

ack-ack

Good enough for the B-38.  :noid :D

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #208 on: November 03, 2010, 08:30:46 AM »
I'm in on this  :aok
Advice: Run AWAY from the circle jerk.  Not towards it  :eek:
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #209 on: November 03, 2010, 08:37:23 AM »
I love how you guys deal in absolutes. Yes there will be many that will use the bombers as intrented. These are the ones that will generate the "combat" we seek, however the majority of players will abuse them and use them to cut corners to win the war as quick as possible. Why do you think we have the new spread out towns? It's not because the art team needed something to do, it to slow the base destruction down creating a bigger window for combat. Todays player doesn't want to fight for the win, they just want the win.

Sorry Lusche, maybe I have my timings wrong. Perhaps it was 7-9 years ago, but the game was surly more about fighting. We didn't have any LCA type squad groups, but ever establish squad had their nemesis. There was always that one squad that had their squad night on the same night just to foil your plans. Today squads avoid each other.