Author Topic: Taters n Tails  (Read 1125 times)

Offline warhed

• Silver Member
Taters n Tails
« on: November 04, 2010, 04:24:15 AM »
 Ever since the tail got the extra parts to shoot off, landing a 30mm seems to only remove one piece at a time.  Is this a flaw?  Or feature?
warhed
=Wings of Terror=

"Give me sheep, or give me death!"

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
Re: Taters n Tails
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 04:57:54 AM »
Reality?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline warhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 04:59:58 AM »
Wasn't trying to come across as a whine or smart arsed.  Honest question, is it considered a bug or is it working as intended?
warhed
=Wings of Terror=

Offline warhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 05:03:48 AM »
Reality?

wrongway

Before the stabs were split, a tater to the tail section would remove elevators and rudders and stabs.  After the split, only one ele/stab will be be destroyed.  Is the splash damage just being sucked up by the other parts, without causing failure?
warhed
=Wings of Terror=

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 06:57:42 AM »
It is frustrating when that happens, but they usually get their just deserts, like this guy did.   :D

http://dasmuppets.com/public/Sunbatt/justice.ahf
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 07:43:48 AM »
Well, I once counted how many hits it took to take off the rudders from a Lanc and figured it was two 30mms per rudder and they never severed the whole vertical stab. Dunno if they even delivered damage to vert stab.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline sunfan1121

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2010, 07:45:35 AM »
I can see this happening on some tough planes with robust tail sections, but it even happens on the stubby I16.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:25:57 AM by sunfan1121 »
A drunk driver will run a stop sign. A stoned driver will stop until it turns green.

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2010, 08:00:46 AM »
Just to put it into perspective....

30mm Through a wing or fuselage without hitting any MAJOR structural components?

Perhaps...

Through an elevator?  Not nearly as likely to miss something important.

A 30mm HE round hitting one elevator and not affecting the other one or the rudder in some adverse way? 

Hard to believe...
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2010, 10:23:40 AM »
well here is a funny thing,

the 13mm round is as big as the .50cal round...........so why is it so much less destructive than the .50 round????

whe i realized that it took a ton of them to cause any kind of damage to an enemy i always assumed it was because the 13mm was modeled as the equivalent to the .303.

so now that i see that my assumption was incorrect i am behooved to ask.........why doesnt the 13mm do the same level of damage as the .50cal round? is it something to do with the type of round fired, i.e. softer metal, poor quality? or is it the amount of powder used to propel the round? etc etc. does anyone know why?

before you tell me i dont know what i am talking about and all the other lame things that people will say instead of answering the questions asked, look at my stats. i fly the K4 on a constant basis, it has 2X13mm/300rounds each. i have stayed glued to the arse of a spit and ripped into it using up almost 150 rounds of 13mm before being forced to break away due to incoming enemy. the spit continued to fly and fight without any visible effects on its performance. this is not the first time i have seen this type of event, this event was just last night a few minutes before i signed out so it is only the most recent.

this is not a whine, this is an honest question. if there is an actual reason for the difference then i would like to know what it is. if there is not a reasonable explanation based on fact for the difference between the damage between the 13mm and the .50cal rounds then is this something that is intended to be rectified in the near future?
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 10:26:11 AM »
got enough toolbars Von? :D
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline themaj

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 10:31:24 AM »

the 13mm round is as big as the .50cal round...........so why is it so much less destructive than the .50 round????

whe i realized that it took a ton of them to cause any kind of damage to an enemy i always assumed it was because the 13mm was modeled as the equivalent to the .303.

so now that i see that my assumption was incorrect i am behooved to ask.........why doesnt the 13mm do the same level of damage as the .50cal round? is it something to do with the type of round fired, i.e. softer metal, poor quality? or is it the amount of powder used to propel the round? etc etc. does anyone know why?

before you tell me i dont know what i am talking about and all the other lame things that people will say instead of answering the questions asked, look at my stats. i fly the K4 on a constant basis, it has 2X13mm/300rounds each. i have stayed glued to the arse of a spit and ripped into it using up almost 150 rounds of 13mm before being forced to break away due to incoming enemy. the spit continued to fly and fight without any visible effects on its performance. this is not the first time i have seen this type of event, this event was just last night a few minutes before i signed out so it is only the most recent.

this is not a whine, this is an honest question. if there is an actual reason for the difference then i would like to know what it is. if there is not a reasonable explanation based on fact for the difference between the damage between the 13mm and the .50cal rounds then is this something that is intended to be rectified in the near future?

Quick answer (guess)

Are you factoring in the amount of guns firing? When I am down to 2 guns with ammo left in a mustang, it also takes a lot of rounds to take someone out.
Jagdgeschwader 54 Grünherz

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 11:35:42 AM »
got enough toolbars Von? :D

I've got a big monitor.  :aok

They don't dock all fancy-like as the SolidWorks ones do...    :(
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 11:55:36 AM »

Well, ballpark quickie google search muzzle velocity appears to be in the 2400ish feet per second with a 500 and some grain projectile for the MG131's 13mm round.  .50 BMG is ballpark 2900 and change, with a 700 and some grain projectile.  That's an almost 25% increase in muzzle velocity and over 1/3 more projectile on the .50.

Since all of the destructive capability of these rounds is in their kinetic energy, the .50 is going to hit significantly harder because it is both significantly heavier and significantly faster.

Not that I'd want to stand in front of either one, but the .50 is a much better performing round.

Wiley.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 12:05:23 PM by Wiley »
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 12:02:15 PM »
It's bigger actually........  The M2 is a 12.7mm round.

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 12:50:38 PM »
Well, ballpark quickie google search muzzle velocity appears to be in the 2400ish feet per second with a 500 and some grain projectile for the MG131's 13mm round.  .50 BMG is ballpark 2900 and change, with a 700 and some grain projectile.  That's an almost 25% increase in muzzle velocity and over 1/3 more projectile on the .50.

Since all of the destructive capability of these rounds is in their kinetic energy, the .50 is going to hit significantly harder because it is both significantly heavier and significantly faster.

Not that I'd want to stand in front of either one, but the .50 is a much better performing round.

Wiley.

well now it makes sense!

thanx for the input  :salute
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr