Author Topic: GV Complaint Dept.  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
GV Complaint Dept.
« on: November 05, 2010, 07:32:33 AM »
   I know this should be in Aircraft/Vehicle threads but It'll probally be transferred there when Skuzzy wakes up.

There have been a lot of complaints of GVers about the inconsistency of damage to enemy Gvs. "I hit you three times and you shot me once" sort of thing. When you have a glancing blow you will see a small hit sprite and maybe a ricochet. I have seen multiple large hit sprites with no damage on various vehicles. Sometimes the new M-4 seems indestructible. Sometimes it's a panzer. No don't tell me about them having supplies that is not the case most of the time.

If I'm being  :noid let me know. But for now I'll have to get my Aces High.
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
Re: GV Complaint Dept.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 07:44:11 AM »
Probably location of hit and angle.

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 07:46:32 AM »
QFT

<S> Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 08:27:34 AM »
  With a bad angle you will get a deflection and see a richochet.  Front armor is understandable or certain parts of turret. Several side shots should penetrate. With a large hit sprite it indicates good hit. I've heard experienced players being frustrated with the inconsistency of it. The Damage model on aircraft has been updated and maybe more attention should be made to the GV model.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 08:53:49 AM »

This is very true.  Isn't distance and kinetic energy figured in there as well?
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline SWkiljoy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 09:54:22 AM »
I was just about to mention that...yes it is.
Proud member and Flight Leader of the 125th Spartan Warriors
<<S>> SWkiljoy

Offline columbus

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 09:56:04 AM »

5 hits on a tiger 800 yards out nothing. from the side and the the treads

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 10:12:58 AM »
GV modelling in this game is just goofy and IMHO a real problem area that with a littl work could really be improved.

All joking about SHRUBBERIES!!!! stopping tanks dead in their tracks (or even worse flipping them) aside, the effect of hits on GVs and damage needs work. I wish I had film or photos, but many many times I have shot enemy tanks at inside of 800 yards, dead center hit to the chassis of the tank from the front quarter and directly from the side, only to see NO hit sprite what-so-ever, and dirt kicked up from the ground on the other side as my round PASSED THROUGH the enemy tank with no discernable damage done at all. One night I hit an enemy M4 in this manner from approx D800 with HVAP rounds, all 3 times no damage. No ricochet, just no damage as if the round had gone right through him and hit the ground on the other side of where he was sitting. He finally figured out where I was, rotated his turret, and 1-shot killed me.

:furious
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline NCLawman

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 10:29:46 AM »
GV modelling in this game is just goofy and IMHO a real problem area that with a littl work could really be improved.

All joking about SHRUBBERIES!!!! stopping tanks dead in their tracks (or even worse flipping them) aside, the effect of hits on GVs and damage needs work. I wish I had film or photos, but many many times I have shot enemy tanks at inside of 800 yards, dead center hit to the chassis of the tank from the front quarter and directly from the side, only to see NO hit sprite what-so-ever, and dirt kicked up from the ground on the other side as my round PASSED THROUGH the enemy tank with no discernable damage done at all. One night I hit an enemy M4 in this manner from approx D800 with HVAP rounds, all 3 times no damage. No ricochet, just no damage as if the round had gone right through him and hit the ground on the other side of where he was sitting. He finally figured out where I was, rotated his turret, and 1-shot killed me.

:furious

I have experienced the frustration of hits with no 'apparent' damage, including direct, close range hits on the tracks as the enemy continued to drive away.  I have NOT experienced the round passing right through the enemy tank.  I have not heard complaints on range about this experience either.  I do hear complaints about 'no damage' hits (usually on the same frequent tankers). 

That having been said, in fairness, I will admit that I have, on occasion, had the benefit of the 'dud' tank round.  I don't know what I did or how I managed to get my tank in a position where the rounds were ineffective; but, there have been times where I have been hit solidly by enemy rounds (with the loud bang on my tank) only to find (to my surprise) that I am still in the fight.  I obviously don't complain at my good fortune, but do complain when it is my weak round.   :lol

I would argue that it SEEMS that I shoot the 'dud' round more frequently than I receive it.  The question is.... is it the "modeling" or is it something that the experienced tankers have figured out to find places where their tanks are 'less vulnerable'?  I often see some of my shots that should have destroyed or at least tracked a tank (dead side shot at close range) and nothing happens.  I don't see how this can be anything but program error or modeling.  However, as I am not a COAD experten, I can either suck it up and accept that I occasionally benefit from the error, or I can piss and moan that the world is NOT FAIR!.   :rock     I am thinking that I take a combination of the two options.  :D    I piss and moan, then suck it up and move on.    :D
Jeff / NCLawMan (in-game)

Those who contribute the least to society, expect the most from it.

Light travels faster than sound.  This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offline columbus

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 10:34:31 AM »
honestly i just need to figure out DR. 7's one hit wonder code and be done with it

Offline SWkiljoy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 10:37:40 AM »
honestly i just need to figure out DR. 7's one hit wonder code and be done with it
:lol
<<S>> SWkiljoy

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 10:46:53 AM »

DR7 is just that good at rangeing a tank. If I miss low or high he doesn't give you a second shot. He also makes the most of the terrain using hills and angles to his advantage as we spawn and roll into his sights. I hit him three times with a T-34 in different spotsand saw good large hit sprites on his M-4 76(w) turret and front. Of course again I was the loser.
   I don't think anyone is cheating just think the damage model needs work when several AP rounds have no effect whatsoever.

Offline columbus

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 10:55:13 AM »
it amazes me the "through the hills" shots he does or through the trees. and seems from 2000-3000 yards he doesnt miss always one shot one kill,

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 10:56:18 AM »
The best thing to do when you think there is a real problem is to look at your film. If that doesn't clear it up then send the film to HTC.

Offline SWkiljoy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 10:58:03 AM »
it amazes me the "through the hills" shots he does or through the trees. and seems from 2000-3000 yards he doesnt miss always one shot one kill,
Film it and learn young padawan.  :D
<<S>> SWkiljoy