Author Topic: Tonight  (Read 3410 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Tonight
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 08:55:06 AM »
lol, i thought he still had a switch on his stick set to "disco grumpy"

nah....ran outta buttons on the stick/throttle. now i gots to use a keyboard key/.  :devil :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 09:02:06 AM »
Grumpy, there are some ECM (electronic counter measures) available to bounce that "disco grumpy" signal back to the sender.   :D

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 09:04:28 AM »
Grumpy, there are some ECM (electronic counter measures) available to bounce that "disco grumpy" signal back to the sender.   :D

who do i make the check payable to....
CO VF-10 "Grim Reapers"   Member JG54 in AVA

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 09:07:39 AM »
who do i make the check payable to....

Oh, it's free. Just google "disco grumpy ECM", go to the hardware store, get the parts, a couple hours in the garage, and you're good to go.

Offline cohofly

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2010, 09:42:23 AM »
Now from the peanut gallery.  5v1, 3v1 1v1, Im probably headed back to the tower, after a bang, some smoke and fire.
<S>
Carver
Carver CO -55thFg/38thFS-
"Heinie Honking and LocoBusting"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2010, 09:49:38 AM »
But do you prefer the instadeath or the slow spinning and burning fall out of the sky? I much prefer the instadeath myself <S>  :cheers:
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2010, 09:57:25 AM »
We have one guy in the the arena who consistently goes " tracers off".  To the best of my knowledge, pilots in WWII, didn't have the option of not loading tracers. I know that modern day fighter pilots don't have the option either, nor would they want it.  In my opinion, that crosses the line of gaming the game.

We have more than one!  US pilots, at least in the ETO and towards the end of the war, did in fact have the option of eliminating tracer rounds from their loadout.  Generally they reported that their squadron (or group, if that was the case) kill rates went up.

As for the ganging issue which Dicho raised, there are good arguments on both sides.  People who fly together are offended if their real world tactics are criticized.  People who get jumped by lop-sided numbers complain that they can get the same treatment in the MAs (almost an exact quote that I've seen time after time for years).  While I'm personally in the anti-ganging crowd, I'm now inclined to agree with Shifty and Dawger (and you other guys) that the arena should adapt to squad play.

- oldman

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2010, 10:00:59 AM »
I prefer the wounded bird technique.  As I'm limping along with half of one wing, no rudder, one side of the elevator missing, a fuel leak, and of course, oil all over the place and my opponent mesmerized at how that heap is still flying, Jappa tags him in the back O' the head.  Technique only!  :neener:

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2010, 10:08:17 AM »
We have more than one!  US pilots, at least in the ETO and towards the end of the war, did in fact have the option of eliminating tracer rounds from their loadout.  Generally they reported that their squadron (or group, if that was the case) kill rates went up.

As for the ganging issue which Dicho raised, there are good arguments on both sides.  People who fly together are offended if their real world tactics are criticized.  People who get jumped by lop-sided numbers complain that they can get the same treatment in the MAs (almost an exact quote that I've seen time after time for years).  While I'm personally in the anti-ganging crowd, I'm now inclined to agree with Shifty and Dawger (and you other guys) that the arena should adapt to squad play.

- oldman

Thanks, Oldman! I stand corrected.   :salute. It seems that the larger squads don't play AvA in mass.  But, flying organized tactical formations is doable with some dedicated training and effort.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 10:17:27 AM by Puma44 »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 10:12:08 AM »
i'm still trying to get my squad to come in.....i know if they'll stop being a bunch of sissies, and get their butts in here on a decently loaded night.....they'll have a blast.  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 10:19:48 AM »
Well BigRat was in last night and I believe a few of my other squad mates have been in from time to time. 

Old don't get me wrong I'm completely in favor of squads being here.  I'm somewhat mired, often to my demise, in the thinking of letting people get up and having a decent fight with them or dragging a wounded plane home.  A week or so ago I pinged up a 30 fairly well and I thought he was breaking out of the fight so I turned away towards another con and the 38 driver came in with one engine and blasted me.  I hit the ground laughing as I normally do but I'd hate to see conga lines running people off who are looking into the arena for the first time.  That's the only reason I mentioned it and only in passing.  I'll still be here no matter what as the AVA has pretty much been my arena of choice since I discovered it.   
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2010, 10:25:37 AM »
Well BigRat was in last night and I believe a few of my other squad mates have been in from time to time. 

Old don't get me wrong I'm completely in favor of squads being here.  I'm somewhat mired, often to my demise, in the thinking of letting people get up and having a decent fight with them or dragging a wounded plane home.  A week or so ago I pinged up a 30 fairly well and I thought he was breaking out of the fight so I turned away towards another con and the 38 driver came in with one engine and blasted me.  I hit the ground laughing as I normally do but I'd hate to see conga lines running people off who are looking into the arena for the first time.  That's the only reason I mentioned it and only in passing.  I'll still be here no matter what as the AVA has pretty much been my arena of choice since I discovered it.   

you'll find that most of us 38 drivers never give up.  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2010, 10:27:26 AM »
homicidal / suicidal lot arent ya?

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2010, 10:31:05 AM »
I agree with more folks joining the herd in here.  The AvA is mostly filled with like minded players. The few that come in with MA mentality are kinda like mixing oil and water. No one needs to be run off.  But, after a time of seeing how the arena conducts itself, most with a basic consideration of others will either adapt or move on to another arena with their game play style.  Those who are intent on creating strife will dig their heels in and agitate others for their own self centered satisfaction.  That reflects an unfortunate, sad life out in the real world.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 10:45:09 AM by Puma44 »

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2010, 01:45:38 PM »
Puma what Oldman said about tracers. In fact Francis Gabreski only had the last 60 rounds in his guns loaded as tracer so he'd know when he was short on ammo. As far as the ganging... I doubt there's ever been a night in this arena when I didn't end up on the wrong side of a 3v1 and ended up dead. It happens all the time and I've yet to see anybody in this arena back off when it's a 2v3 and one of the 2 goes down. The other three still go after the lone guy.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV