Author Topic: GTX 580s out now  (Read 839 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
GTX 580s out now
« on: November 10, 2010, 04:21:02 PM »
Theres nothing really new about these cards. They have better cooling and are clocked better than the 480s but really they are the same card. Nvidia is pulling a trick with the drivers so that they will not install onto the 480 cards. But the drivers inf file can be hacked and forced onto the 480s. After having done all that the difference is about 5% overall (after some creative overclocking of the 480). The big difference is the fans which are quieter (wow).

The fastest single card solution is still the Ati 5970 but because its a dual GPU card it has to be compared to SLI or Crossfire systems and against the 480s and 580s it loses steam except in the power consumption category. Why does that matter? Well it effects the light bill and it will make you think twice about your PSU/PSUs but thats about it.

Noise level? Usually the game itself makes more noise but in AH you should not need more than a single card anyway.

So with the 580s coming out Newegg and a few other sites are running specials with 10% off as the intro price. If you are thinking about the Fermi line I suggest you wait just awhile longer. The prices are bound to drop a bit for the 480s soon and that will make them a bargain I hope.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
Re: GTX 580s out now
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 04:43:30 PM »

:lol :lol  :P

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 04:57:31 PM »
Pure nonsense. My 8800 GTs ran hotter. The 480s dont have to run anywhere near as hard.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 12:18:48 AM »
Typical rebranding-of-old-card launch from Nvidia. And suckers will pay price premium to buy a rebadge *sigh*.

The way 580 was released looks like a panic release from Nvidia since the new top line Ati card is about to be launched. This makes me think Nvidia is expecting to be trumped by the performance of the next-gen Ati top models and cashed out now on this fake release.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 12:42:23 AM »
Maybe. Ati still cant write a driver or a control panel to save their lives and that keeps people from moving over too.

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 01:34:12 AM »
Typical rebranding-of-old-card launch from Nvidia. And suckers will pay price premium to buy a rebadge *sigh*.

The way 580 was released looks like a panic release from Nvidia since the new top line Ati card is about to be launched. This makes me think Nvidia is expecting to be trumped by the performance of the next-gen Ati top models and cashed out now on this fake release.

not really a rebrand, more like a "fixed/non-defective" GTX480.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 02:49:28 AM »
Nonsense again.

The 480 took the crown for the fastest single GPU card. The problems that a few people outline are nit-picky.

Hot? A video card will usually last about ten years as long as it runs within a certain temperature range and the voltage is within tolerance. The 480 might have lost a few months off its life because of heat. Wow.

Noisy? My speakers are usually turned up to the point I cant make out what noise the cooling fans are making. I guess if you sleep with your computer case right next to the bed it could get irritating. Otherwise... wow.

The problem with the card that only Skuzzy mentioned was the number of functioning SMs which was 14 or 15 out of 16 SMs active. That was the result of Nvidia desiring to produce a 40nm technology item. Yes they ran into a few kinks but as always kinks are worked out and we have the 580. So with the kinks worked out and everything working as designed there is a 12.5% increase in individual card performance.

Calling it a fixed GF100 (480) is shortsighted. The 580 is a new die size and is a hair smaller. Working out the kinks in the 40nm process has taken them this long but they did not work out a change in the overall design which will come about in the next generation. With that in mind the 580 closely resembles the 480 but it is not exactly the same card. I say it is the same because the architecture itself is the same but as I pointed out the die is actually new. What makes it faster is that the entire chip is active.

So... Im going to change my "maybe" to a "nope you missed it again."  :D

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 03:44:17 AM »
Noisy? My speakers are usually turned up to the point I cant make out what noise the cooling fans are making. I guess if you sleep with your computer case right next to the bed it could get irritating. Otherwise... wow.

Well I have to say the reason why I use 90% of Mac and 10% of PC at the moment would be that a Mac doesn't require 60 desibels of fans to constantly cool it while browsing internet and such. So the noise is indeed an issue that you'll only realize when the noise is gone. Of course instant wake from sleep is also not bad. Oh, and not having 150 000 new viruses a day. Where was I again? Right.. :D

My next project will be to encase my gaming computer behind a wall (utility room) and pull only cabling through to isolate the noise.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 09:27:33 AM »
Chalenge, I cannot believe you brought up drivers as a concern with ATI, given the seriously buggy drivers NVidia has produced lately.

Yes, the ATI control panel is horrible.  Thankfully there is a good alternative to it.

The 580 is a fixed 480.  NVidia seriouly screwed up the design of the 480 die.  Every engineer, worth anything at all, knows it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 12:38:48 PM »
OK guys,

seeing as you all seem to know a whole lot more than the average smuck (i believe i am in the front seat of that bus) about video cards, tell us of much lower knowledge on the subject, the one card you believe to be the gamers holy grail of video.

its simple, name the card and maybe if you have a moment state why it is the only way to go for the ultimate gaming experience.

SKUZZZZZZZ this request goes to you as well!!!!!!!! I'm not asking for Aceshigh to promote a video card, I'm asking "Skuzzy" what, as a personal gamer, would he pick to use and why. please do not argue against the card posted by anyone else, just state your own card and your own reasons for picking it and leave the opinions of others alone.

thanx in advance for any answers....
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 12:40:19 PM »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 01:57:40 PM »

Agreed. But then I may be a little biased as I just got one.

It apparently doesn't need much in the way of a power supply.

I haven't played a game yet that has made this thing blink.

Direct X11 ready.

And it is SILENT.
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 02:16:10 PM »
I am not a gamer.  Really, I am not a gamer.  I quit playing games many years ago.  I cannot play Aces High as I have no room for a joystick to sit on my desk.

The last new game I really played was the original UnReal Tournament.  As of today, I am playing Madden 11 on a console.  I will never go online with it, but offline it has enough diversity to keep me interested.  I am also contemplating some race car game, but the jury is still out.

I am done with PC gaming.

Today I buy video cards based on how well they work with the various video editing tools I use.  ATI is who I use today.  Better power utilization, quiet, and well designed.  NVidia will get there, but it will be another generation or two before they can clean up thier current designs.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 02:24:24 PM »
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 04:07:56 PM »
Chalenge, I cannot believe you brought up drivers as a concern with ATI, given the seriously buggy drivers NVidia has produced lately.

Yes, the ATI control panel is horrible.  Thankfully there is a good alternative to it.

The 580 is a fixed 480.  NVidia seriouly screwed up the design of the 480 die.  Every engineer, worth anything at all, knows it.

I said it because its true. You can say that the way Nvidia updates their drivers leaves their customers behind. Personally I havent had too much trouble with drivers but I also let other people on the Nvidia (primarily Evga) sites do the testing first before I update. Thats wise no matter what item your updating.

The problem I have with Ati is they suck at flight simulators. Its not just their control panel. Ati just cannot handle graphics that simulate weather patterns while it does everything else in a flight simulator too. Ati is also seriously lagging behind Nvidia when it comes to high resolution. Of course those issues dont really hit home in AH.

As far as video editing goes I dont think a mid-point video card (gaming card) is the way to go at all. In the FirePro versus Quadro benchmarks Ati cant even post 3/4 the performance of Nvidia cards for things like 3D Studio and in AutoCAD (where I make the big bucks) Ati cant even post 1/2 the scores.

Also I disagree that a 580 is a fixed 480. I GF110 is a corrected GF100 and perhaps it is what the GF100 was intended to be but it is also more refined. The difference is similar to a company that has just learned to make muskets but doesnt realize the difference a few tolerance changes can make. The first revision of any new technology will always be more accurate and I think any engineer would know that too. So you might say that a GF110 is a perfected GF100.