Author Topic: P40  (Read 3492 times)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Re: P40
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2010, 04:13:08 AM »
The P-40 was not only the american workhorse, it also looked like an a s s (aka donkey for the moderators)  - and I don't mean this like the P47 that was so ugly that it is beautiful. American planes are not known for their fine figure, but damn this one was beaten with the ugly stick.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Old Sport

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2010, 06:29:27 AM »
The P-40 was not only the american workhorse, it also looked like an a s s (aka donkey for the moderators)  - and I don't mean this like the P47 that was so ugly that it is beautiful. American planes are not known for their fine figure, but damn this one was beaten with the ugly stick.

Well, even in '48 Boris Senior was contemplating buying 50 P-40's in So Africa for the fledgling IAF, but instead they got the Avia S 199,    :aok

which might also fit your discription Boz...   :D  'specially since it bore the name "Mezek" or mule!!   :lol

I read a book by Senior (called New Heavens) who was very impressed with the P-40's ruggedness, even later in WWII. I don't remember if he was shot down (maybe by flak) or had a mechanical problem, but he went down in a P-40 in WWII, and still thought the bird was quite rugged.

Best.

Offline Bubbajj

• Copper Member
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2010, 04:19:37 AM »
The P-40 was not only the american workhorse, it also looked like an a s s (aka donkey for the moderators)  - and I don't mean this like the P47 that was so ugly that it is beautiful. American planes are not known for their fine figure, but damn this one was beaten with the ugly stick.

Are you nuts? The P 40 is one of the most gorgeous fighters ever made. Slap some tiger teeth on it and it's all business. I fly em, knowing I'm gonna get shot down, simply cause the look so cool.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2010, 05:50:35 AM »
I once survived a 4-v-1 in a P-40E taking much damage and killing 3 of the 4 (making the 4th run home). Rare for me, but a really great fight that I won despite bad numbers. In the fight I got 1 flap jammed in 1 position, and the other in another. Just barely managed to finish off the last guy, or he broke off and later crashed, or something.

It made RTB home very.... "interesting" (it was an entire sector over water), especially considering it made my flying speed extremely slow.

This is the kind  of stuff that keeps me coming back to AH I think.  Kill a couple and then struggle home with a damaged bird.  <S> P40 and Krusty.   

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2010, 06:59:34 AM »
This is the kind  of stuff that keeps me coming back to AH I think.  Kill a couple and then struggle home with a damaged bird.  <S> P40 and Krusty.   

Oh yeah?  So...where you been?

- oldman

Offline FBLazy1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2010, 09:35:17 AM »
P40 is a fun plane.  :rock
In Game: Lazy1

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2010, 07:04:18 PM »
Oh yeah?  So...where you been?

- oldman

Greets Oldman!   I'm still fly whenever I have the opportunity but have taken a new job and am travelling quite a bit.  You still terrorizing the skies of the AvA?   

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2010, 07:49:07 AM »
You still terrorizing the skies of the AvA?   

Of course.  Spreading fear wherever I fly.

- oldman

"Hey, isn't that Oldman's plane?"

"Yeah!  DIBS!"

Offline STEELE

• Nickel Member
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2010, 09:01:33 AM »
Yes, the p40 flaps jam from 1 ping everytime, and a lot of times they both get nailed by 1 small hit. Not feeling its infamous engine and cockpit armor's effects either, as it will oil in 1 ping as well
The Kanonenvogel had 6 rounds per pod, this is not even close to being open for debate.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2010, 09:43:18 AM »
Yes, the p40 flaps jam from 1 ping everytime, and a lot of times they both get nailed by 1 small hit. Not feeling its infamous engine and cockpit armor's effects either, as it will oil in 1 ping as well

none of what you just said has been my experience in the pee40. i find it to be a very very enjoyable(even if somewhat underpowered) plane to fly, and fight in.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #55 on: December 06, 2010, 01:26:30 PM »
Robert Dehaven from the 7th FS/49th FG certainly appreciated the P-40's rugged construction. :)

As I pulled up a Tony behind me shot away my rudder control.  With no rudder control I was forced to aileron roll straight down until my speed was well over 400 miles per hour.  On the first or second roll I observed one enemy fighter strike the ground about fifteen miles west of Alexishafen - and later found out that it had been shot down by another one of our pilots.  As I neared the ground he Tony was still on my tail.  The Japanese pilot was very good at his job and he systematically shot out my hydraulics, radio, and left guns.  I straightened out and headed for a low cloud formation against the foothills near our base at Gusap.  The Tony was still on me, but he suddenly broke off to the right and pulled away.

Whatever the case I returned to base. I couldn't get the gear down so I belly landed.  My plane was a total wreck. I have no idea whether that Tony pilot claimed me as a victory, but he certainly had a legitimate right because my airplane was forced to crash land and was totally wiped out.  I survived, which was the main thing.  They gave me some whiskey, which was most welcome, and I think I slept for about twenty four hours.  The Japanese were certainly shooting back that day.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2010, 12:39:58 AM »
none of what you just said has been my experience in the pee40. i find it to be a very very enjoyable(even if somewhat underpowered) plane to fly, and fight in.

As an on-again, off-again P-40E pilot for many many years (early on in AH1) I can say without a doubt 99% of all hits take out 1 of my flaps. 99% of all SECOND hits take out the OTHER.

I actually took a hit the past month WITHOUT losing a flap -- I was flabbergasted! It had almost never happened before! I grinned and enjoyed the rare treat.

Offline 5PointOh

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2010, 10:02:40 AM »
Non, but same goes for a spitfire, a P51, an LA7 etc.  I have not seen any of those either.  Does that mean their flaps get stuck after a single ping?  Try a P40 for a few runs and tell me what happens
Scroll to the bottom of this page, there are some nice AAR about the 51 pilots use of flaps.

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/mustang/combat-reports.html

Coprhead
Wings of Terror
Mossie Student Driver