Author Topic: What I learned today...  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
Re: What I learned today...
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2010, 05:42:57 PM »
How do you like them [cheap] apples?  Or any high-labor crop we grow in the US, for that matter. 

CAP as I said I agree that the reason she is learning Spanish is a terrible one, but nonetheless having a second language in your tool set is a great thing.

Hire americans with a working man's wage.

Punish anyone who hires illegals at a fine of $50,000 per illegal
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2010, 05:45:55 PM »
no, it isn't.

what is essential to understanding the construction of english, is for students to pay the eff attention to what they're being taught in english.
That's what's important to score well on tests- which is all that's important to most, sure.

True comprehension of structure and construction of your language is something that requires complete abstraction it seems, at least this has been my own experience and the experience of pretty much everyone I've ever talked to about the subject.

I never 'really' understood some pretty basic concepts of English... I mean, yeah, I could pick out things like objects, infinitives, clauses... but actually understanding what they were, how an entire sentence, and each of its bits, functions as an expression of thought never occurred to me until I started learning German (and, as I've said before, this is a common observation among pretty much everyone I've ever spoken to). And, due to the policies of my school district (which are pretty much similar to schools all around the country), this didn't come until the 8th grade.

Every child should learn a foreign language from an early age, just for the sake of mental exercise. I don't particularly like Spanish either, which is why I still don't know any, but the fact of the matter is that Spanish is a natural choice for this, for several reasons: obviously, Spanish is a Romance language, so vocabulary and to a lesser extent grammatical structure is already fairly familiar, or should be made familiar as over half of English is based on Latin & Romanic roots)- Spanish, being a Romance language, also sets you up for other Romance languages you may want to learn out of your own interest, whether that be French, Italian, Latin, etc.. But, in the end, what puts Spanish above Danish or French or German (to say nothing of Latin), is that living in the United States, like it or not, you have more opportunities to speak Spanish with native speakers than any other language beside English... it's easier to practice and, again, like it or not, has more practical application... Which is important if you'd really like to make it something more than a mental exercise.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2010, 09:08:55 PM »
heaven forbid the minority become the majority and change the language, just like it happened some 200 years ago  :noid.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2010, 10:03:51 AM »
Hire americans with a working man's wage.

Punish anyone who hires illegals at a fine of $50,000 per illegal

I'm curious what you consider a working man's wage.  Depending on that answer, I'm also curious how you would explain the spike in fruit and veggie prices, along with the corresponding loss of production to foreign markets.  (Namely in South America)   You think losing heavy industry was bad?  :uhoh

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2010, 10:05:55 AM »
I'm curious what you consider a working man's wage.  Depending on that answer, I'm also curious how you would explain the spike in fruit and veggie prices, along with the corresponding loss of production to foreign markets.  (Namely in South America)   You think losing heavy industry was bad?  :uhoh

I think he is under the misconception that illegals still work cheaper than their legal counterparts.

on one hand, they do, as they generally work for cash, and do not pay taxes.....thus it is cheaper for their employer. on the other hand, they do not work for less $/hour anymore, as in the past.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2010, 10:18:36 AM »
The Aussies call them ACCA DACCA.......

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2010, 10:49:57 AM »

I think he is under the misconception that illegals still work cheaper than their legal counterparts.

on one hand, they do, as they generally work for cash, and do not pay taxes.....thus it is cheaper for their employer. on the other hand, they do not work for less $/hour anymore, as in the past.
Thats so true . One could get work done for around 5 dollars a hour and now they want 15 , cash . Good thing in a way because I am getting some of my brick work back . I think every Mexican in the world knows how to lay brick . Mite not look as good as mine but still was anought to close my business 6 year's back .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2010, 10:50:11 AM »
i really hope that's not the kind of poop being taught in the schools now....... :(
Oh please. Can you sit through 8-9 hours of lectures in one day? Imagine energetic children doing this and it is much harder. The best teachers always do something to get the kids interest. Now Amaazee will remember what Alternating Current and Direct Current are and how it is applicable.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2010, 11:23:31 AM »
Thats so true . One could get work done for around 5 dollars a hour and now they want 15 , cash . Good thing in a way because I am getting some of my brick work back . I think every Mexican in the world knows how to lay brick . Mite not look as good as mine but still was anought to close my business 6 year's back .

lol, always comes down to the "Mexican".  You guys try to make your posts sound like they are nothing but just cool carrying conversations but at the end, it is all about race  :aok

I said it in a previews thread.  If you were born here, grew up here, had what "here" makes available to you, and you have to compete with an illegal immigrant that does not even speak the language for a job, first blame yourself!  Then try to use what "here" makes available to you to do something about it other than whining.  :lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2010, 02:57:59 PM »

It's no misconception, as you indicate in your second point.  When you aren't paying any sort of benefits/taxes whatsoever, cost out of employer pocket is significantly reduced. Not only that, but the wages (while higher than they used to be) are at least from what I have seen still lower than what citizens would be asking for a full day of back-breaking labor.  I'm not saying we don't need to work towards a solution, just that it's not as simple as some purport.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2010, 03:16:28 PM »
It's no misconception, as you indicate in your second point.  When you aren't paying any sort of benefits/taxes whatsoever, cost out of employer pocket is significantly reduced. Not only that, but the wages (while higher than they used to be) are at least from what I have seen still lower than what citizens would be asking for a full day of back-breaking labor.  I'm not saying we don't need to work towards a solution, just that it's not as simple as some purport.

Wrong! The illegals use false/stolen social security numbers and falsified documents for the I-9 form. The employer still pays taxes. The only way around it is that he can pay cash. Then he has to show where the cash went.

I think you'd be surprised at what some illegals make per year. They can also claim 10 dependants.... why??? because they are uasing stolen SS.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2010, 03:48:17 PM »
Wrong! The illegals use false/stolen social security numbers and falsified documents for the I-9 form. The employer still pays taxes. The only way around it is that he can pay cash. Then he has to show where the cash went.

I think you'd be surprised at what some illegals make per year. They can also claim 10 dependants.... why??? because they are uasing stolen SS.

So then, you are saying that they do pay taxes?  Only thing that makes them different is a stamp that says legal?  :rofl

Make your minds please.  Are they stealing by not paying taxes and ss or not?  :rofl  You guys can't even hate for the same reasons lol.

How do you come up with all this crap?  No one has to show where the cash went unless they claim it from their taxes.  In that case, you are talking about a legal breaking several laws in the name of profit but hating the elegal working his arse off for food?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2010, 04:18:10 PM »
most work for cash. if they're working for cash, you can bet they're not paying taxes, nor are their employers that are paying them that cash. it is very very easy to "account" for where your cash went. if it's done right, you'll never have to actually account for it, because it'll never trip any flags with the irs.

shop i used to work at it was easy to tell when illegals were coming in. they'd have pa registered cars, with pa dl, and still live in nj. that's because pa gives dl's to illegals(unless that's changed, but i was told this by.......an illegal years ago). they'd pay for any work done in cash.....even if it was over $1k........

the biggest savings to the employers is not having to chip in their taxes, even if they are paying them what they'd pay you.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)