Author Topic: dog attacks  (Read 1056 times)

Offline bagrat

• Silver Member
dog attacks
« on: November 19, 2010, 12:36:31 AM »
Ok sometimes I like to ride my bike when I'm traveling short distances or just for exercise, but it seems almost once a week somebodies loose dog ends up chasing me or trying to bite me. One time I called animal control, but the dogs were gone by time they arrived. Another time I was riding my bike and a dog came running at me from between some parked cars. I got some distance and watched it just sitting in the driveway, I went to the front door to talk to the people but they never answered the door, instead I hear them on the side of the house quickly open the garage door and let the dog in. The third time I got chased by a Rottweiler and got away. I asked a lady walking up the street if she knew who's dog it was and she replied "I'm not sure but they let there dog run loose often, so I just avoid that area". I say "thats BS! people shouldn't have to avoid a street because some jag bag let's there dog run wild whenever."

So what would you do?

oh and I've gone alternate routes to avoid dogs and I don't think I should really have to drive my car just because people let dogs run wild.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 01:28:32 AM by bagrat »
Last post by bagrat - The last thing you'll see before your thread dies since 2005.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
Re: what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 12:52:06 AM »
Well that depends, I see three options:

1) The legal way, slow, but keeps you out of trouble.

2) The middle ground, keep the dogs off of you, but you might be skirting the law.

3)  Probable jail time, but the dog won't bother you.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline bagrat

• Silver Member
Re: dog attacks
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 02:10:39 AM »
if I beat it or kill it off the owners property, as these dogs who attack me are. you think that's still possible animal cruelty?
Last post by bagrat - The last thing you'll see before your thread dies since 2005.

Offline Bored123

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 02:18:14 AM »
i mean i love dogs etc but, i say if its off their property and attacking you, you have every right to defend yourself.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 02:20:18 AM »
Pepper spray one time and they wont bother you again
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 02:38:03 AM »
Pepper spray one time and they wont bother you again

pepper spray just make some dogs even angrier, assuming you can get to it on time.  I suggest filing a complain with the police every time or animal control as a nuisance animal.  you shouldn't have to be afraid to bike.  I don't like dogs, but I hate even more so called "animal lovers" who don't take care of their pets.  visit from the policy or animal control usually makes them more careful. 

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 03:17:59 AM »
i got bit by a three legged bull dog once, i was stood talking to someone it hobbled past turn round and gave me a proper bite blood and all :old:

Thing could move though when being chased by a hobbling bloke with a big stick :old:

true story for once :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 03:36:38 AM »
Motorbike + sabre.  :devil
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 06:09:13 AM »
I'm an out and out, unrepentant dog lover - but you're right to be upset, and they're wrong to treat the animal the way they do. (As in leaving it unrestrained and untrained.) In my view, by not training their dog to interact appropriately with other humans in a human world, they're doing "animal cruelty" themselves.

What you're seeing is a territorial dominance behavior, and it is potentially dangerous. Each time someone rides through the area, to the dog it looks as if it has successfully threatened and chased off a challenger. Since this dog has not learned to defer to humans, if challenged too much it could become violent.

At the minimum I'd call animal control each time it happens. Make a cell phone video when possible, again each time. If the video is dramatic enough, and if you "play" the report right (Gosh, officer, I love a dog as much as anyone, but this guy is really scary. I'd hate to think what might happen to some poor old lady who can't walk fast enough to be safe...), the problem should be solved promptly.

A hundred years ago, they actually sold "bicycle guns" which were sub- Saturday night special pistols for dealing with dogs like this. Now, you would be hung out to dry unless you could show you had severe bodily harm.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 06:10:16 AM »
Motorbike + sabre.  :devil

Or maybe Ben-Hur spikes on the wheels?
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 07:56:43 AM »
if I beat it or kill it off the owners property, as these dogs who attack me are. you think that's still possible animal cruelty?

Its self defense. If the dog attacks you, no matter where you are (unless your trespassing) it will be self defense. Kill the dog (if you have to), he wont attack you again.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 07:56:49 AM »
Airsoft gas blow back.  Wont kill it or injure it if you get it in the eye but it's a good deterrent both for dogs and unruly teenagers :D

And I love dogs too.  Probably going to pick up a rescue Llewellin this weekend.  
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 08:10:35 AM »
Ok sometimes I like to ride my bike when I'm traveling short distances or just for exercise, but it seems almost once a week somebodies loose dog ends up chasing me or trying to bite me. One time I called animal control, but the dogs were gone by time they arrived. Another time I was riding my bike and a dog came running at me from between some parked cars. I got some distance and watched it just sitting in the driveway, I went to the front door to talk to the people but they never answered the door, instead I hear them on the side of the house quickly open the garage door and let the dog in. The third time I got chased by a Rottweiler and got away. I asked a lady walking up the street if she knew who's dog it was and she replied "I'm not sure but they let there dog run loose often, so I just avoid that area". I say "thats BS! people shouldn't have to avoid a street because some jag bag let's there dog run wild whenever."

So what would you do?

oh and I've gone alternate routes to avoid dogs and I don't think I should really have to drive my car just because people let dogs run wild.

video. they make glasses with cameras in them. or cameras you can wear on your person. record everything to back your statements...such as the one where they let the dog in.

then call the police, rather than anmal control. excagerate. act as if you're scared out of your pants, and this isn't the first time.

you're staying well within the laws this way,. and you'll get better responses.

squeaky wheel gets the attention.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 09:59:24 AM »
pepper spray just make some dogs even angrier, assuming you can get to it on time.  I suggest filing a complain with the police every time or animal control as a nuisance animal.  you shouldn't have to be afraid to bike.  I don't like dogs, but I hate even more so called "animal lovers" who don't take care of their pets.  visit from the policy or animal control usually makes them more careful. 

semp

Call the dog catcher and give them the address of the folks who let the dog in. If there is a complaint they can take the dog in many places.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 10:13:16 AM »
Yeah I dig animals, but if attacked me, it dies. End of story.
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.