Author Topic: NOT FUN ANY MORE!!!  (Read 21885 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: NOT FUN ANY MORE!!!
« Reply #75 on: November 20, 2010, 01:10:37 PM »
How the heck we got such a high ranking in this category, might be more of an indicator of fewer successful captures globally.  This I would like to see the numbers on.

As you wish.

The rate of base captures has been halved. Before the redo of towns and vehicle bases, we had a steady ratio of about 25 played manhours for every credited capture (I checked several tours over the past 2.5 years). After tour 126, this had increased to 50+ manhours. (53 in tour 129)

(based on all "active" players during a tour, active meaning the player had at least one kill or one death)

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2010, 01:16:59 PM »

As you wish.

The rate of base captures has been halved. Before the redo of towns and vehicle bases, we had a steady ratio of about 25 played manhours for every credited capture (I checked several tours over the past 2.5 years). After tour 126, this had increased to 50+ manhours. (53 in tour 129)

(based on all "active" players during a tour, active meaning the player had at least one kill or one death)

LoL.  I think they ought to put you into mass-production Lusche.   

Someone once told me "You can not control what you do not measure."

:salute,
Wab

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: November 20, 2010, 01:39:10 PM »

As you wish.

Not that this can be checked, but it would be my hunch that the ratio of base captures to vehicle base captures has gone down also, meaning that a higher number of these captures now are vehicle bases.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2010, 01:44:24 PM »

LoL.  I think they ought to put you into mass-production Lusche.   

Someone once told me "You can not control what you do not measure."

:salute,
Wab

LOL

I just think it's pure nerddom on my side.

And of course these are just numbers. Requested information. How someone is rating this numbers, interpreting the information is a different thing. And after all, you can hardly measure fun & satisfaction (ok.. maybe in # of subscriptions... but that's still not that easy).
Just because the number of base captures has been significantly reduced, it doesn't have to mean overall fun for the majority of players (even "war" players) has been reduced too.

And by the way... I predict with the new arena setup the numbe rof captures will further go down - simply because there is no easily milkable 2-10 players LW arena at off peak hours anymore. (Some squads really relied on this to get their rankings up).

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 20, 2010, 01:47:30 PM »
Not that this can be checked, but it would be my hunch that the ratio of base captures to vehicle base captures has gone down also, meaning that a higher number of these captures now are vehicle bases.

No that can't be checked. And just going by feel, I'm not sure if that's really the case. Since the redesign of the VBases, I saw less attacks on them too. More guns (particularly those &&/%&/ free 17lbs AT guns) and the different layout did make a quick capture for 1-2 guys more difficult too.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: November 20, 2010, 02:04:23 PM »
So you're back Snailman?   

Excellent.  :aok

Qbert... when I start getting frustrated with the game I do something radically insane so long as I'm not screwing up other people actually trying. 

Jeep raids, running a pt boat at a battle group, NOE a goon through an unoccupied base, anything silly I can think of to get a chuckle.  Don't know if it will work for you but it does for me.  Wait, I have an idea.  If you hit yourself repeatedly in the head with a brick or bash it on a counter long enough to give you lasting brain damage it WILL work for you :D

My best to ya regardless  :D
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: November 20, 2010, 02:08:03 PM »
I just re thought my suggestion about changing base capture system.  The way the staff seems to work and others are correct in pointing out, this is their bread and butter and they have been pretty good at it for some time.  I am just hopeful, that something is in the works (most likely something that they have researched and most of us have never thought of before) that will once again have us singing praises for the best damn  :airplane:  :joystick:  :cheers: out there.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #82 on: November 20, 2010, 02:12:41 PM »
So you're back Snailman?   

Excellent.  :aok

Qbert... when I start getting frustrated with the game I do something radically insane so long as I'm not screwing up other people actually trying. 

Jeep raids, running a pt boat at a battle group, NOE a goon through an unoccupied base, anything silly I can think of to get a chuckle.  Don't know if it will work for you but it does for me.  Wait, I have an idea.  If you hit yourself repeatedly in the head with a brick or bash it on a counter long enough to give you lasting brain damage it WILL work for you :D

My best to ya regardless  :D

last night, i de-acked a small base, landed, taxied into the hangar just off the runway, and was gonna sit and ambush the first plane to pass me on the runway.
 unfortunately, it was imadot, and i couldn't bring myself to do that to him...so i taxied out beside him, we took a couple pics, then did a formation takeoff.......then i augered, quite ba accident/  :rofl :rofl
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: November 20, 2010, 02:17:02 PM »
muahahahahahaaa...

I've seriously considered covertly taking a Wirble out during my bait runs and sitting at the end of a runway for just one shot... And, yes, I'd cap dot because he has a sense of humor too  :devil

Couple of weeks ago I was deacking and didn't see Jherne get on, take a gv, next thing you know St Pete was saying 'weren't you just here?'
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #84 on: November 20, 2010, 02:21:34 PM »
cool thing is, it's kinda easy to do without that big red neon "LOOK AT ME" sign there.  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline DERK13

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #85 on: November 20, 2010, 03:02:32 PM »
i agree in some parts of your thread. I do remeber that in LW arenas their would always be people trying to take a base and win the war and it happened often where 1 side was on a roll with taking bases and usually in a few hours if they had the numbers they could win the war. When we got the new upgrade on the feilds and towns and radar, i am yet to see the war won by any side, and 1 side on a roll with taking bases. I do agree somethings need changeing, but the game is still fun

RedTail

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #86 on: November 20, 2010, 03:33:03 PM »

+1 to what Crashorange and what Grizz said

To all those saying base taking is irrelevent, shouldnt you be in the DA?

Dont care what peeps say I am a happy toolshedding. basetaking. mission runner because that IS what the main arena is about getting into a damn good scrap whilst doing it is a bonus.

I'm glad your a "happy toolshedding. basetaking. mission runner", and all of that is still available to you. For years now us "fighter types" have had a hard time finding a fight, and No trying to stop GHI and and all of his NOE hordlings is not a fight. Sure you can get kills in that environment, but it's not a fight. The changes made create more opportunities for fights to break out without taking away the "win the war" aspect of the game.

Can you NOE a base and take it under 3 minutes, probably not, but you still can do it. The guys complaining are those stuck in their old habits. The old plans don't work so well, make new ones. Coming in in a horde makes it obvious which base your trying for, maybe upping from 3 or 4 bases at different times will fool the map watchers until the attack is already on.

I don't stop flying fighters because it's too hard, I just try harder. Like in golf I get that one great fight a night that bring me back the next time to try and get it again. The base take challenge use to be to get 20+ of your closest friends to work together long enough to grab a base. Now all they did was to add a bit more of a challenge by  giving more people the chance to defend.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2010, 03:37:42 PM »
I'm glad your a "happy toolshedding. basetaking. mission runner", and all of that is still available to you. For years now us "fighter types" have had a hard time finding a fight, and No trying to stop GHI and and all of his NOE hordlings is not a fight. Sure you can get kills in that environment, but it's not a fight. The changes made create more opportunities for fights to break out without taking away the "win the war" aspect of the game.

Can you NOE a base and take it under 3 minutes, probably not, but you still can do it. The guys complaining are those stuck in their old habits. The old plans don't work so well, make new ones. Coming in in a horde makes it obvious which base your trying for, maybe upping from 3 or 4 bases at different times will fool the map watchers until the attack is already on.

I don't stop flying fighters because it's too hard, I just try harder. Like in golf I get that one great fight a night that bring me back the next time to try and get it again. The base take challenge use to be to get 20+ of your closest friends to work together long enough to grab a base. Now all they did was to add a bit more of a challenge by  giving more people the chance to defend.

+1  Finding that one quality 1V1 fight per night is worth all the other, and defending now is alot more fun than it used to be
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: November 20, 2010, 05:16:32 PM »
I dunno, base-taking provides a medium in which furballs CAN take place, but I'd like to see a method which discourages/prevents half a frikkin COUNTRY from moving base to base like an amoeba. Most any night, log in and see a map with 200 bases, 90% of the player base is involved in  any of 3 rolling whords....one country per base. Not sure how programming can overcome human nature
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: November 20, 2010, 05:56:24 PM »
I dunno, base-taking provides a medium in which furballs CAN take place, but I'd like to see a method which discourages/prevents half a frikkin COUNTRY from moving base to base like an amoeba. Most any night, log in and see a map with 200 bases, 90% of the player base is involved in  any of 3 rolling whords....one country per base. Not sure how programming can overcome human nature

It seems to me you are describing the exact result of making bases "harder" to capture. 

First, it doesn't seem to me the skill-level needed to take a base has increased.  Just the amount of firepower needed. 

So the solution is… you just bring a bigger horde.

The "harder" you make it to capture a base, the less motivated smaller groups are to spread out and try and take a base themselves.

If you make it unlikely to be able to use stealth to get reasonably close before detection, and make it unlikely you will have enough firepower to get the job done, then the logical choice is to form a 30 plane armada and simply blot out the sky with planes.

Clearly there is some kind of Trade-Off curve at work here.  Imagine a graph with "Fun" on the Y-Axis and "Capture Difficulty" on the X-Axis.  At the lower bounds of X you have “One guy can capture a base with no problem” and the Fun(x) is low.  At the upper bounds of X you have “Nothing short of a 30 plane armada will take a base” and Fun(x) is also low.  Somewhere in the middle there is a maxima.  Somewhere there is a knee to that curve right around (IMHO) “5 guys using stealth and a little luck have a 50% chance of sneaking a base alone”.

Regards,
Wab

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.