Author Topic: Joystick spiking  (Read 1155 times)

Offline SkullAce

• Zinc Member
Joystick spiking
« on: November 19, 2010, 11:28:07 PM »
I have a gateway computer running xp, it has 7 usb ports only using three. I purchased a Logitech extreme 3d pro did not load the Logitech software that came with it and it’s been working fine for 6 months, one of the base buttons quit working on it, no big deal so kept using it
then one day I noticed that it seemed to be spiking I could not control my plane. I tried recalibrating it in windows and in the game and did not help.
Decided stick might have gone bad. So got another one and it is doing same thing right from the start.
Tried different usb ports and calibrating but its not working. In the window calibration it seem to look fine, went to the map controllers screen, selected the axis, hit the advanced checkbox, and watched as I move the stick I see the green bar moving axis that are not being move mostly the Z axis. Tried moving the dead bands helped a little but still very hard to control my plane.
Read on the boards that I need a usb power hub so I got one, no change at all.
I tried deleting the logitechextreme3dprousb.jsm file to start over and I loaded up the software that came with the stick this time and in the calibration screen for the stick I do see the stick spiking as well. Have only been playing for a short time and my computer skills are worse than my pilot skills so I could be missing something simple.
Don’t know what to do, I’m I wasting my time with this stick, or can someone help me, I need to fly! lol   :cry 

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
Re: Joystick spiking
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 12:19:28 AM »
well your issue is strange. mostly because it has continued to happen after many changes in hardware. my thought is that maybe you have one of 2 issues. 1 a corrupted logitech file or 2 a corrupted aceshigh file. i would try these two fixes in this order.

1 i would go to the logitech trouble shooting sight for your stick to attempt to find an answer on how to do a complete uninstall of all of the current files and then do a clean install. (link below)
http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/section/troubleshoot/crid/441/lt_product_id/291/tabs/1,3,2,4,5/cl/us,en/kw/

2 if number 1 fails then my next step would be to do a complete uninstall of aceshigh and then reinstall it.

if your issue is a software problem then the likely culprit is in one of those two places.

one more thing you actually may want to try.

windows, and from what i have been lead to understand windows vista and 7 are more problematic with this, is trying to take control of your gaming gear and settings for your stick. unfortunately the more complex the stick is the worse windows handles it. when you plug in the stick after doing a clean install of the hardware windows will ask if you want it to install your hardware, tell it no. follow the instruction on the software disk from logitech and then go to logitech to ensure you have the latest drivers. DO NOT CALIBRATE YOUR DEVICE IN WINDOWS> use only the logitech software for any setup and recalibration or reprogramming.

I use a Thrust Master Cougar HOTAS. if i set it up or calibrate it in windows then the stick is almost unusable. i could recalibrate in the game multiple times and it wouldn't help. but TM COUGARS are touchier than most sticks when it comes to programing, so i don't know if it will be the same cure for you.

good luck and keep the board updated on your progress
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 02:27:04 AM »
If there is a 2nd system you can try the joystick on it can really help in determining if the problem is your computer or the stick itself.  It could be possible that you just got a bad stick.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline ColTomb

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 04:24:24 AM »
You may have corrupted drivers for your stick. This happened to me recently with my CH gear. I unistalled the drivers, rebooted the computer,
then reinstalled them. Problem gone. I was installing and uninstalling a few programs and that is when my problem occurred.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 08:39:17 AM »
Logicrap is named logicrap for a reason....check the spelling on the box, I'm serious  :D I've only bought Logitech sticks twice and had troubles with them both times, once right out of the box. I don't think they build them to have a "precise" calibration that is needed for a top notch flight sim. It sounds to me that you did all the right things. Ack-Acks idea of trying it on another machine is about your only option left. Personally I'd dump the stick and buy CH products. If you can't afford them get a cheap Saitek stick and write Santa a nice note about the Ch gear  :D

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 09:12:24 AM »
Since it's a new stick contact Logitech tech support. If you have a bad pot they'll probably send you a replacement stick. If your other stick is under warrenty they should replace both of them.

Offline SkullAce

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 02:26:33 PM »
Thanks for the help guys, I tried down loading the latest software and that didn't help the problem. I tried the stick on my laptop and it's doing the samething, going to take it back for an exchange and try that, if that don't work I'll try the game reinstall can some one help me out with that, can i keep my view settings? after that I guess I'll be looking for a differint stick.  :cry
Thanks

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 02:37:27 PM »
Just save your Aces High "settings" folder to a safe place.

Offline SkullAce

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 10:41:01 PM »
Exchanged the stick and the new one is doing the samething :headscratch:

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 04:34:09 AM »
Hmmmm, this sounds like an extremely interesting exercise in diagnostics. So just for clarity, you're saying that you are now on your third stick which announces exactly the same problem on two different computers? Unprecedented.

Please for the sake of simplicity do the following test with your newest joystick:-

Take your new stick and plug it directly into your PC without using your USB hub, use the Windows 'Game Controllers' program and observe the white square with the crosshair in it as you slowly move the stick around its full range of movement. The crosshair should move slowly around too, if you observe it jumping quickly across one of the edges or a portion of the edge then please observe exactly what it does and report it here. Repeat this experiment on your laptop with the same joystick.

Don't meddle with any other programs or drivers at this stage. If you still have one of your older sticks repeat the experiment again on both your PC and your laptop and please tell us the results. Depending on these results I will have another test for you.

Diagnostics isn't guesswork at all, but it will be most effective if we can investigate systematically using a top down approach. It is possible that you've ran across a bad batch of faulty sticks but this is not very likely. If it is the case then Logitech are being very sloppy with their in-house quality control!

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 11:46:39 AM »
I have a Logitech stick myself, and I have alot of issues with spiking too. And this is my 2nd Logitech stick with the same behaviour.. Its called Logitech Freedom 2.4, its a wireless twistystick. The biggest problem with it is the tophat switch though, it gets really floppy after a few months of use and views gets almost impossible to use!  :t
TheStig

Offline SkullAce

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 02:35:15 PM »
Ok old stick on main computer xp, I move the stick around the outside of the white box looks good and smooth no spiking but the z axis will jump when pull back or roll left with the stick, if I twist the stick I see the x in the white box move a little.

New stick on main computer xp, exactly the same thing.
Old stick on laptop window 7, exactly the same thing plus see spiking rolling right
New stick on laptop window 7, exactly the same thing plus see spiking rolling right

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 04:27:40 PM »
i have a silly question, you said you had a powered USB right?

did you at some point plub both sticks into this powered USB?

if the powered USB is going bad it can actually over power/surge the stick dashpots burning them out. this may have been the orination of your problem. if it was surging then it damaged the sticks when you plugged them into it, so now your seeing the damage it caused even when they are plugged directly into the computer.

test fix may be to yet again exchange the new stick and test it on your computer without using the powered USB.

just a thought
FLOTSOM

Quote from Skuzzy

Offline SkullAce

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 04:54:14 PM »
The original stick was working fine then it started spiking, that’s when I picked up the usb power hub, I believe I did plug the new stick in to it, but I exchanged that stick and did not plug it in the power hub this time and it’s doing the same thing.

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 04:59:38 PM »
The original stick was working fine then it started spiking, that’s when I picked up the usb power hub, I believe I did plug the new stick in to it, but I exchanged that stick and did not plug it in the power hub this time and it’s doing the same thing.

roger that

well i am all out of ideas. good luck in your endeavors! remember keep us informed of what you find!
FLOTSOM

Quote from Skuzzy