Author Topic: FRAPS stuff  (Read 610 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
FRAPS stuff
« on: November 25, 2010, 09:36:49 PM »
or another recording tool that can be used ingame. rather than go into everything, i'm linking my original post in general discussion....

thanks guys.....
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,300880.0.html
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: FRAPS stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 09:49:47 PM »
How much are you willing to spend to pull it off? Im pretty sure Ack-Ack can name a program that can do it (pricey) and then there is an even pricier way with hardware.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 09:53:25 PM »
I haven't used Fraps to record anything for a while.  One of my 500Gb HDD bricked and I haven't replaced it yet.  When I was recording in-game, I had it set to lock framrate at 30fps fullsize.  I run AH2 at 1920x1200.  When I start recording, my framerate would go from solid 60fps (v-synched) to a solid 30fps.  No real stutter or other wierdness.  I use the registered version of Fraps, but I don't think that would make any difference other than being able to record as long as I want or have HDD room for.  One thing that might make a big difference in performace is having a single drive dedicated as a scratch disk for raw recording.  I know it helped me.

Here are a couple of videos I recorded in-game using Fraps...
WWI Arena
Santa Hitech
New Strat/City
Corsair CV During New Graphics Beta
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 11:56:39 PM »
I haven't used Fraps to record anything for a while.  One of my 500Gb HDD bricked and I haven't replaced it yet.  When I was recording in-game, I had it set to lock framrate at 30fps fullsize.  I run AH2 at 1920x1200.  When I start recording, my framerate would go from solid 60fps (v-synched) to a solid 30fps.  No real stutter or other wierdness.  I use the registered version of Fraps, but I don't think that would make any difference other than being able to record as long as I want or have HDD room for.  One thing that might make a big difference in performace is having a single drive dedicated as a scratch disk for raw recording.  I know it helped me.

Here are a couple of videos I recorded in-game using Fraps...
WWI Arena
Santa Hitech
New Strat/City
Corsair CV During New Graphics Beta

you mean set it to record to  a seperate physical hard drive?
those vids look clearer than what i'm getting right now........i run at 1280x1024 though.....
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 11:59:49 PM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 11:57:31 PM »
How much are you willing to spend to pull it off? Im pretty sure Ack-Ack can name a program that can do it (pricey) and then there is an even pricier way with hardware.

in all hoinesty, when i get something in my mind, i just wanna do it. i've wasted a LOT of money over the years due to this attitude.........but i don't know, because i don't know how much most of this stuff costs......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 12:06:26 AM »
"but i'm trying to have it at a point when it'll catch the blackouts, and redouts in flight"

Every film that I used blackouts etc in, I replicated in my video editing software.  For me, I used Sony Vegas.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 12:07:17 AM »
"but i'm trying to have it at a point when it'll catch the blackouts, and redouts in flight"

Every film that I used blackouts etc in, I replicated in my video editing software.  For me, I used Sony Vegas.

hhmm.....i didn't know there was anything to add those effects in?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2010, 09:48:10 AM »
you mean set it to record to  a seperate physical hard drive?
those vids look clearer than what i'm getting right now........i run at 1280x1024 though.....

Yep.  My main "drive" is three 500Gb drives in a 1Tb RAID array.  I have (well, had) a seperate drive not in the array that I used as a scratch disk for Photoshop and for recording the raw footage from Fraps.

The videos were recorded at 1920x1200 at 30fps and edited in Adobe Premier Pro.  Then saved as hi-def for upload to YouTube.
My Current Rig:

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 10:19:16 AM »
Yep.  My main "drive" is three 500Gb drives in a 1Tb RAID array.  I have (well, had) a seperate drive not in the array that I used as a scratch disk for Photoshop and for recording the raw footage from Fraps.

The videos were recorded at 1920x1200 at 30fps and edited in Adobe Premier Pro.  Then saved as hi-def for upload to YouTube.

hhmm....would saving to an external hd(connected through usb) be a possible solution then? or would the usb connection be way too slow?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 10:40:20 AM »
If you have one, it won't hurt to try - don't go out and buy one just to try it.  I doubt it's fast enough though, and you will see choppiness probably during recording and certainly during playback.
My Current Rig: