Author Topic: option to opt out of ranking system  (Read 1816 times)

Offline bagrat

• Silver Member
Re: option to opt out of ranking system
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2010, 02:17:31 PM »
Maybe if someone chose not to be ranked and somehow would no longer contribute to a score horz rank when getting shot down? That is the only way I can imagine this would effect game play slightly.
Last post by bagrat - The last thing you'll see before your thread dies since 2005.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 02:30:39 PM »
obviously Jayahwk none of this applies to you  :neener:

:rofl
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 01:25:47 AM »
I think it's a great idea +1.

I agree with tarmack's concept that it could affect the kinds of fights, in the long run. I think those who selected this option would be making a very clear statement.
”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 04:59:32 AM »
i would favour this option.

+1
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline APDrone

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 08:53:57 AM »
To expand on what these gentlemen observed:

No, because one who does opt out doesn't care about rank anyway. and those who do care about it won't opt out.  :old:

Other potential issues I see with this is channel 200 purse fights about a player's actions and if he did it just to protect his score. "You didn't opt out of the scoring option so every more you make is for your score."  Or, we'd hear all kinds of whines about, "I would be a better rank than you but I just choose not to do it it." .

It would provide a means by which to identify and isolate players that play your way or not.  And, from what we've learned from observing human nature, once you've identified, en masse, those that differ from your values, you now have a 'common enemy' to rally your 'fellow believers' to berate, insult, humiliate, and cast disgusting looks in their general direction.

Heck, it's bad enough with some of the squad bashing that goes on..

If you think that removing a rank system is going to magically convert a player into choosing a P40b instead of the N1K, I'm afraid you'll be sadly disappointed.

Like it or not, the rank system is a measuring point that people can use to gauge their performance.  I can't count the times I've tried different things just to see what it's affect would be on my rank.. kind of like a truffle hunt, I suppose... or maybe that was wumpus?  It's a subgame within the game itself. Useful to some, not so much to others.  Just like bombers, GVs, field guns, fighters.. Some are more useful ( i.e. enjoyable ) than others.

Getting rid of it will not change their play.. they'll just go by their stats.. which is a bit more of an effort to track.

AKDrone

Scenario "Masters of the Air" X.O. 100th Bombardment Group

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2010, 01:27:17 PM »
I agree there will be no magical or quick transformation, but perhaps it would be the small start of a new culture in Aces High. There's nothing wrong with divisions, people already want different things from the game, at least this offers the freedom to  choose.

HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2010, 01:33:46 PM »
Freedom? Are you not free to ignore score now?
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2010, 01:34:14 PM »
I agree there will be no magical or quick transformation, but perhaps it would be the small start of a new culture in Aces High.

I thought we already had such a culture - many players do totally ignore any scores & ranks.

However, I too share the apprehension that this could be just a further way leading to all kinds of insults, allegations & assumptions.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2010, 02:46:05 PM »
Yes, you're free to ignore your own score. Surely a different thing to make others ignore it too?
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2010, 03:00:31 PM »
Yes, you're free to ignore your own score. Surely a different thing to make others ignore it too?

It's their choice to ignore it or not. I do not need to make the choice for them. If they are taking interest in my score for what ever reason, so be it.

But I have an idea what will happen in an opt out system: If you chose to NOT opt out, poo will be flung at you. After all, they now have "proof" that you are a score ho (else you would have opted out), that you do this or that only for score blah blah blah. It's bad enough now with all that "furballer vs landgrabbers" nonsense, or when I'm flying home with low fuel or no ammo I get told "LOL now thats why you are running" after they discover my low rank.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2010, 04:12:58 PM »
It's not their choice but your choice not to have any statistics recorded for your activities. Is this not a significant difference?

HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2010, 04:20:41 PM »
Would be cool to have or maybe stop somebody from seeing your score that way you will avoid the my "score is better than yours".

Semp

You my be cuter Semp, but my score is better! :rofl

-1 to the idea.  If you don't want to know, don't look.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2010, 05:10:08 PM »
The only way it could work is to make your score visible only to yourself and to show ranks only at the end of the tour.
Eliminating rank all together might make people more willing to engage and not worry about saving face.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2010, 05:28:35 PM »
It is a good thing some guys like myself do not care about score and rankings. Other wise who would run all the base resupply missions and GV supplies to a spawn for the rest of you.

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2010, 07:26:16 PM »

Would also like to see everyone be required to run 25 sorties in EACH catagory before rank could be enabled for that catagory and no
global rank would be enabled without all four catagories being scored with 25 sorties each.  

sounds like a good idea