Author Topic: Off hours arena  (Read 742 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Off hours arena
« on: November 28, 2010, 04:24:50 PM »
First I applaud HT for making an attempt to improve the game for the Euro and other off hours players.

Even though I don't play as much as I used to I did get a chance to do so this weekend.  Before this weekend when that happened (last weekend) I ended up going to WWI and had a blast but the off hours arena never came up so a lot of people did the same.  Twice this weekend I was expelled from the arena while there were fun fights going on.  I didn't think I'd mind but found that it was actually annoying.  Last night as I was about to be expelled I just logged off and went and did something else.

I'm curious why there's a need to go through all the machinations, booting people out, saving the arenas, setting up another saved arena, getting people logged back on, etc., etc., etc.  Wouldn't it be much easier to just lift the caps and leave the arenas as is?  Then the fun fights wouldn't have to end.  The off hours players could still congregate in one arena.  People looking for more solitude could go to the other LWMA.  People worried about unrestricted base taking in the other arena coul go there and defend.

When off hours are over simply re-institute the caps.  With only one arena open it would still fill relatively quickly.  Add to that the fact that the off hours players will be logging off and the caps should also balance reasonably quickly.

It seems to me the current solution is clunky and there's a much more elegant alternative.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
Re: Off hours arena
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 04:31:56 PM »
All for a smoother transition for late night US players from prime to off peak hours. +1 :aok
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 05:08:05 PM »
There should be a countdown then fields are locked and once you tower/die and are in the tower you're booted, but so many moving parts mean many chances to go wrong.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 05:23:34 PM »

I'm curious why there's a need to go through all the machinations, booting people out, saving the arenas, setting up another saved arena, getting people logged back on, etc., etc., etc.  Wouldn't it be much easier to just lift the caps and leave the arenas as is?  Then the fun fights wouldn't have to end.  The off hours players could still congregate in one arena.  People looking for more solitude could go to the other LWMA.  People worried about unrestricted base taking in the other arena coul go there and defend.

When off hours are over simply re-institute the caps.  With only one arena open it would still fill relatively quickly.  Add to that the fact that the off hours players will be logging off and the caps should also balance reasonably quickly.

isn't that exactly what we had before? the problem was when you re institute the caps, you had 200/100 in orange, and 10/150 in blue.  it DIDNT balance quickly.. thats at least part of the reasoning behind the new system, it balances quicker.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 05:29:06 PM by kvuo75 »
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 09:55:52 PM »
First I applaud HT for making an attempt to improve the game for the Euro and other off hours players.

Even though I don't play as much as I used to I did get a chance to do so this weekend.  Before this weekend when that happened (last weekend) I ended up going to WWI and had a blast but the off hours arena never came up so a lot of people did the same.  Twice this weekend I was expelled from the arena while there were fun fights going on.  I didn't think I'd mind but found that it was actually annoying.  Last night as I was about to be expelled I just logged off and went and did something else.

I'm curious why there's a need to go through all the machinations, booting people out, saving the arenas, setting up another saved arena, getting people logged back on, etc., etc., etc.  Wouldn't it be much easier to just lift the caps and leave the arenas as is?  Then the fun fights wouldn't have to end.  The off hours players could still congregate in one arena.  People looking for more solitude could go to the other LWMA.  People worried about unrestricted base taking in the other arena coul go there and defend.

When off hours are over simply re-institute the caps.  With only one arena open it would still fill relatively quickly.  Add to that the fact that the off hours players will be logging off and the caps should also balance reasonably quickly.

It seems to me the current solution is clunky and there's a much more elegant alternative.

Lol, you do realize that you just proposed the exact system that we had previous that everyone hated?

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 10:02:39 PM »
Lol, you do realize that you just proposed the exact system that we had previous that everyone hated?
shh... dont tell him that :bolt:
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 10:17:27 PM »

I guess I don't play enough anymore to have noticed or else I play at the wrong times.  As far as I know there were always caps in place.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 10:23:58 PM »
I guess I don't play enough anymore to have noticed or else I play at the wrong times.  As far as I know there were always caps in place.

They've been that way for years and just got changed a week ago.  Good idea though.   :aok

Offline SHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 01:11:41 AM »

There were always caps in place, except for when the WW1 arenas were introduced. Never heard a single complaint then.

Caps were introduced to prevent hordes. Well guess what, Hordes have not been prevented. Get rid of caps and move on.

We all got to vote for a stupid B-29, How about a Vote on Caps or No Caps. I'll bet at least 80% say no caps. :aok

Will that ever happen? Doubt it. :noid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXLZeL59gfc&NR=1&feature=fvwp <<--My Favorite Band

If it takes full power to taxi to the hanger, your gear is probably up.

Offline des506

• Nickel Member
      • The 354th FG
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 04:01:43 AM »
There were always caps in place, except for when the WW1 arenas were introduced. Never heard a single complaint then.

Caps were introduced to prevent hordes. Well guess what, Hordes have not been prevented. Get rid of caps and move on.

We all got to vote for a stupid B-29, How about a Vote on Caps or No Caps. I'll bet at least 80% say no caps. :aok

Will that ever happen? Doubt it. :noid

I've been saying it constantly and no one listens! i'll tell you guys at hitech at best plan yet... keep all the arenas cap free... try this for starters... i start the game.. play for 1-3 hours get all excited taking bases, hording, missions... then i will get host disconnected*dunno who's fault.. but i rather blame Telstra*.. then i restart the game.. and find the arena is capped 299/200..OMG... thats a long way to go to fight... so i head to blue arena...thank god its not capped*cos it doesn't have a chance to fill.. most people like me will quit blue and try to get in orange*... after a while.. say maybe an hour... i get back into orange... hey.. they are still at the same base... same fight... you  go join in... play for 1 hour... you get disconnected*by this time you are tearing at your hair*... and then you try to get into arena again... this time... 187/100 cap...goodness...i think i better start heading out to meet friends instead. So lets look at what Hitech did for me as a passionate AH gamer... it got me pissed.. and made me go out to meet my friends.. so basically it loooks like hitech doesn't want me as a paying customer...
DES 354th FG
The men dying out there have no choice... i have..i cannot order them into battle... i can perhaps lead them...Help them....Die with them
Manfred von Richthofen