Author Topic: 'Game-Changer' Weapon  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Wayout

• Silver Member
'Game-Changer' Weapon
« on: December 01, 2010, 08:17:39 AM »
US deploys 'game-changer' weapon to Afghanistan.

"It looks and acts like something best left in the hands of Sylvester Stallone's "Rambo," but this latest dream weapon is real -- and the US Army sees it becoming the Taliban's worst nightmare."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101201/pl_afp/usmilitaryweaponsafghanistan   :O
  For most people the sky is the limit.  For a pilot the sky is home.

Offline SWkiljoy

• Nickel Member
Re: 'Game-Changer' Weapon
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 08:34:06 AM »
yup, just read it actually before seeing this post. Seems quite interesting  :cheers:
Proud member and Flight Leader of the 125th Spartan Warriors
<<S>> SWkiljoy

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »
The US Army has finally started deploying the XM25 with field units; at least openly admitting it; we just have to wait and see what the deal is with this new programmable ammo and how it stands up to long term use in theater.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20101201/sc_afp/usmilitaryweaponsafghanistan
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline SWkiljoy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 09:20:29 AM »
somebody already posted this...  just and FYI   :salute
Proud member and Flight Leader of the 125th Spartan Warriors
<<S>> SWkiljoy

Offline Penguin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 07:18:49 PM »
The revolutionary advance involves an array of sights, sensors and lasers that reads the distance to the target, assesses elements such as air pressure, temperature, and ballistics and then sends that data to the microchip embedded in the XM25 shell before it is launched.

This technician's nightmare involves an array of sights, sensors and lasers that break down in the heat of combat, point out the user, assesses elements such as operator pressure, importance of mission, and expense of weapon, and then screws the pooch via a complete technical snafu.

FIXED 
:salute <====  :banana:

-Penguin

This 'weapon' is a menace to our troops, and our budgets.  Soldiers will be afraid to carry it, as it denotes combat expertise, and then they will only use it as an expensive disco-ball once just one speck of dust gets in front of the firing pin.

-Penguin

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 07:22:31 PM by Penguin »

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 09:29:46 PM »
Over the wall with a bayonet always worked well too.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 08:42:51 AM »
Over the wall with a bayonet always worked well too.
Except for they've stopped bayonet training.   Can't find the news article from a couple months ago.  Not sure what branch it was.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 09:19:46 AM »
WOW not sure how that got posted in here. I was searching before I posted and saw this thread and hit delete on the other tab in Firefox. Crazy things I tell ya.
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 09:53:07 AM »
I think I read somewhere that this thing costs between $25,000 and $30,000!!

While I like the idea of this weapon, and wholeheartedly endorse anything that will give us an edge, the cost is insane.

I think the companys that sell us these things (anything millitary) should be looked into for price gouging.

Remember the $5000.00 hammers and $3000.00 ashtrays that were sold to the military?

I think we're gettin ripped off!!
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 12:52:05 PM »
Here is a great article outlining all the testing that has been done by the Army to keep the M4....an excerpt from this article

The positions were, and are, clear. The US Army says the M4 isn’t broken, and adds that an Army-wide fix would cost $1 billion. Critics contend that these costs may be exaggerated given some of the potential solutions, and add that an army already planning to spend $525 million to re-equip the force with M4s has a moral and financial imperative to see if a better rifle exists. Meanwhile, calls about the M16/M4 had been coming in from Oklahoma, and other Senators and representatives had also been hearing from constituents on this matter.

Now we know why the Army pays that much for a weapons system for troops.

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/the-usas-m4-carbine-controversy-03289/
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline vonKrimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 02:03:21 PM »
I think I read somewhere that this thing costs between $25,000 and $30,000!!

While I like the idea of this weapon, and wholeheartedly endorse anything that will give us an edge, the cost is insane.

I think the companys that sell us these things (anything millitary) should be looked into for price gouging.

just a little kludge from the back of my brain:  A Thompson sub-machine gun cost the U.S. tax payer $225.00 in WWII; adjust to today's dollar, that Thompson would cost around $20,000.00 to $23,000.00.  Hope that helps you sleep better tonight.

Remember the $5000.00 hammers and $3000.00 ashtrays that were sold to the military?

I am sure you will have dreams of sugar-plums dancing in your head tonight.

I think we're gettin ripped off!!

And just where do you think the monies for black-ops comes from?  Not like there are line-items in the budget that says "de-stabilize nation 'X'" or anything like that.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 02:11:40 PM by vonKrimm »

Fight Like a Girl

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 02:19:23 PM »
You folks who are talking about cost. Have any of yall ever had a government contract?

Take the hammer for instance..... have you seen the pile of paperwork describing the hammer and the requirements for it? Have you seen the testing required to insure the hammer can drive a nail or whatever it requires? The government pays alot because of it's own mishappen requirements.

You can just go down to Home Depot and pick one up. Only that one won't conform to the stringent requirements set forth by all the red tapers. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 04:10:44 PM »
You folks who are talking about cost. Have any of yall ever had a government contract?

Take the hammer for instance..... have you seen the pile of paperwork describing the hammer and the requirements for it? Have you seen the testing required to insure the hammer can drive a nail or whatever it requires? The government pays alot because of it's own mishappen requirements.

You can just go down to Home Depot and pick one up. Only that one won't conform to the stringent requirements set forth by all the red tapers. :)

Yes I have worked under government contracts and have benefited from them in the past; speaking of hammers...you know how we procured our sledge hammers on one government contract. We went to a local Ace Hardware and bought 5 16lb sledge hammers for less than the single one that they had specified in the contract. It met the criteria except that it did not come from the specified supplier and it saved the job over $1000 just because we didn't order from that warehouse company. Yes I know its a drop in the bucket but we did what we had to because the items would have taken 2+ weeks to get there and probably been wrong and we needed them "Right the F$%^ NOW" according to the job site engineer who approved the purchase by the way.
Buckshot
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 04:26:32 PM »
Yes I have worked under government contracts and have benefited from them in the past; speaking of hammers...you know how we procured our sledge hammers on one government contract. We went to a local Ace Hardware and bought 5 16lb sledge hammers for less than the single one that they had specified in the contract. It met the criteria except that it did not come from the specified supplier and it saved the job over $1000 just because we didn't order from that warehouse company. Yes I know its a drop in the bucket but we did what we had to because the items would have taken 2+ weeks to get there and probably been wrong and we needed them "Right the F$%^ NOW" according to the job site engineer who approved the purchase by the way.

Problem is that the sledge from the hardware store does not come with the required certified testing paperwork (testing procedure, MTRs for the metal and any other material used, test results, etc.) Basic requirements if your doing business with the government.

Not trying to be argumentative, just explaining that the cost is a direct result of the requirement. The cost is ridiculous because the requirement is ridiculous. It is usually not the supplier's fault at all.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 04:28:52 PM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 08:42:04 PM »
its crappy idea to integrate electronics into infantry weapons. this one for example is vulnerable to ECM or EM issues for it seems it sends the range data to the round via wireless. 

Personally, if the issue is enemy taking cover then simple give them something that will punch through it.

rocket propelled Trounds with depleted uranium points. full auto. GruntWarthogs  :devil