Author Topic: ..and in other news: twin engine electric airplane sets speed record!  (Read 1936 times)

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
...at 162 mph!

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/12/electric-airplane-sets-new-speed-record/

EADS Cri Cri

2 x 15 HP electric engines
375 lbs of aircraft

Endurance: 30 min of autonomous flight, 15 min for aerobatic flight.  Heck 15 min is all that's needed for base defense stall fighting  :D!
Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline Pigslilspaz

• Gold Member
Re: ..and in other news: twin engine electric airplane sets speed record!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 03:55:32 AM »
I want one...

Quote from: Superfly
The rules are simple: Don't be a dick.
Quote from: hitech
It was skuzzy's <----- fault.
Quote from: Pyro
We just witnessed a miracle and I want you to @#$%^& acknowledge it!

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 06:42:15 AM »
OMG Sylar is flying it!

Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 12:06:49 PM »
OMG Sylar is flying it!

(Image removed from quote.)

I though he looked more like Michael phelps
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline MachFly

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 12:52:33 PM »
This reminds me of:

"never ever never drive a car that you are taller than when you are siting in that it is long" Jeremy Clarkson
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 12:54:59 PM by MachFly »
"Now, if I had to make the choice of one fighter aircraft above all the others...it would be, without any doubt, the world's greatest propeller driven flying machine - the magnificent and immortal Spitfire."
Lt. Col. William R. Dunn
flew Spitfires, Hurricanes, P-51s, P-47s, and F-4s

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 02:09:33 AM »
It looks like one of those little clown cars.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 02:33:09 AM »
It looks like one of those little clown cars.

How many Muppets will come crawling out upon landing?  :rofl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKULi72yUko&feature=related

You may be awesome pile-its, but your name is ridiculous. Therefore, I will use any excuse to show that clip.  :neener:

<S> Melvin

Edit: Neat plane by the way.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 03:45:20 AM by Melvin »
See Rule #4

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 04:00:04 PM »
I a few years the entire top skin will be solar cells, or battery cells and in daylight will fly for hours.  :airplane:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline EagleDNY

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 04:48:40 PM »
I a few years the entire top skin will be solar cells, or battery cells and in daylight will fly for hours.  :airplane:

I don't think so - 30Hp = about 22Kw of electrical power - solar cells for 22Kw would cover a large portion of the roof of a building.  The surface area of that little plane just won't cut it.  It's been a little while since I needed to buy panels, but the commercial panels were running about 15w / square foot (although the super expensive panels would do about twice that).

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 05:18:54 PM »
I don't think so - 30Hp = about 22Kw of electrical power - solar cells for 22Kw would cover a large portion of the roof of a building.  The surface area of that little plane just won't cut it.  It's been a little while since I needed to buy panels, but the commercial panels were running about 15w / square foot (although the super expensive panels would do about twice that).

That's why it's gonna take a few years ;)

Offline dtango

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2010, 05:59:15 PM »

There certainly are limitations.  However this electric aircraft powered by solar cells was aloft for 26 hours :).

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-20017420-76.html

Tango / Tango412 412th FS Braunco Mustangs
"At times it seems like people think they can chuck bunch of anecdotes into some converter which comes up with the flight model." (Wmaker)

Offline DERK13

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2010, 07:55:33 PM »
i think the weight to lift ratio would be a big prob, solar panels are heavy. but anyways what happens when you run outta BATTERIES!!

RedTail

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2010, 11:28:03 PM »

Yes I know. Our Ham radio repeater up at 8400ft here in Idaho have very large solar cells, which cover with snow then the wind turbine kicks in and all this only powers a 100 watt repeater with a couple smaller link radios and an aprs digipeater, But intent was as fast as things are improving & new discoveries theirs no telling what we'll have in a few years. Our solar cells today are far more efficient then the ones in the 70's, thinner, lighter, etc. Would be cool if it could recharge or just maintain current for a longer flight.
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2010, 11:28:57 PM »
That's why it's gonna take a few years ;)

Thanks...I should read all before commenting.  :salute
WildWzl

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 11:32:44 PM »
There certainly are limitations.  However this electric aircraft powered by solar cells was aloft for 26 hours :).

http://news.cnet.com/8301-11386_3-20017420-76.html

(Image removed from quote.)

I knew I had seen this. But the motors are very low wattage and it definitely a low powered glider, but very cool anyway.
WildWzl