Author Topic: Dissappering eggs  (Read 311 times)

Offline vboom

• Zinc Member
Dissappering eggs
« on: December 08, 2010, 06:39:13 PM »
I have noticed recently that when dropping on a CV group from B-24's if even the slightest adjustment using J & L keys in the couple of seconds before dropping (if for example the CV is beginning to turn) that the bombs can be seen and heard dropping as they leave the plane but never hit the boat or the water.. they just disappear. Usually if you miss then you at least see the splash of the bombs hitting the water.

Obviously the calibration is going to be affected by the slight adjustment, but surely not enough to have them fall completely outside of the bombsights FOV. We are talking about a little tap on the rudder trim not a big adjustment and only at 8 to 10k of altitude.

There have been 4 or 5 instances recently where Eggs that I know should have hit and sunk the boat have just gone, as If I hadn't dropped at all. :mad:

Ty

<S> vBOOM

Offline Dr_Death8

• Nickel Member
Re: Dissappering eggs
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 09:15:05 PM »
There are many reasons you may not see them. Best bet is to try to capture films of the drop without splashes. It can be not waiting long enough if you are at high alts or even your viewing distance turned way down. Without films to back the bug, it is difficult to find the answer.  :salute

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 11:54:36 PM »
[nevermind]
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline vboom

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 03:09:19 AM »
There are many reasons you may not see them. Best bet is to try to capture films of the drop without splashes. It can be not waiting long enough if you are at high alts or even your viewing distance turned way down. Without films to back the bug, it is difficult to find the answer.  :salute

Understood Sir,

I am fairly confident that its neither of those reasons, as they are low alt drops and I have wind distance to widest view to check where they fall . I'll have a go at re-creating the problem again (should be easy enough, it has happened a few times now) I'll record some film and post back here, If for no other reason than to make sure that it's not just a problem at my end.

TY  :salute

Offline Dr_Death8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 03:50:47 PM »
Also since you are stating being done at low alt, the eggs have to travel at least 1000 before they arm, so if you are too low.... Also if you use torpedos, you have to be slower than certain speeds. Believe 250MPH for US and 200 for Japanese... Someone will correct me.  :salute