Author Topic: Cant find driver...part 2  (Read 371 times)

Offline [Sg]ShotGun

• Zinc Member
Cant find driver...part 2
« on: February 17, 2001, 06:34:00 PM »
i still trying to install a prophet2 gts card and have hit a wall here.

i delete the drivers of my old diamond ultra 770 as per the instructions, but when i get to the prophet install utility, i get an error code  '69' 'cant install pci vga adaptor card'.

so i had to install my diamond drivers all over again, the 402 drivers, and now when i try to set my vid driver to 'standard vga' i get no choices to do so.

the only choices i see when i try to change drives in 'device ngr' are only diamond drivers...

ur thots?

------------------
Sg
78th FG

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2001, 12:18:00 AM »
Have you tried:

Right click desktop, properties, settings tab, advanced button, adapter tab, change button, go to microsoft corp, pick standard VGA.  Go through the motions and reboot.  Shutdown computer.  Remove old vid card and put in new one.  Start system back up.  Install drivers.

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline [Sg]ShotGun

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2001, 04:57:00 AM »
wont work
no choices other than diamond drivers are in the box.  
no MS no Adlib no Trident no nothing...only diamond drivers...

------------------
Sg
78th FG

MrSiD

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2001, 07:15:00 AM »
Are you sure you chose 'display a list of all drivers in the specified location' and not 'search for a better driver' option`?

If your system won't show any other drivers in the previous selection (even after selecting microsoft from the manufacturer window) you better ask some help from an advanced w98 user because then you're running an abnormal setup on your computer.

Normally W98 accepts new display cards just by changing the adapter to standard VGA first and then installing the new display drivers in the vga mode.

Offline [Sg]ShotGun

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2001, 09:11:00 PM »
i know believe that i deleted an .inf file that gives the 'change driver' window its sources for driver choices.

the hercules install manaul ask that i delete all the .inf files in the windows/inf directory. prior to this i was indeed able to change to 'standard vga' driver. but stil was not abel to install the herc card due to a 'error 69' code...

i have a complete back up hard drive that i use to 'mirror' my current HD. i installed it in place of my current HA and was able to install the herc card on it with no probs cuz i changed the display driver to 'standrad vga' AND...deleted all the registry entries in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum  area.

this small step erases all the previous hardware settings for the MB so that upon startup the HD wood have to find all the MB components again INCLUDING the display adaptor. (pci-isa bridge, floppy controlers, etc)

i was not able to perform this step on my currrent HD cus i was unable to change the display driver to 'standard vga' cuz i delted a certain .inf file  

my backup HD is an older and smaller drive, but im confident that i can transfer all on it to my 'keeper' HD with a nu 'mirror' software...

------------------
Sg
78th FG