Author Topic: Shooting Through trees  (Read 723 times)

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
Shooting Through trees
« on: December 17, 2010, 05:40:14 PM »
I was at a Vbase in  LW Orange last night in a tank battle..
Several guys in my country were going on forever on range complaining about getting shot through trees by  a few of the best tank guys in the game.

Just because you are hiding behind trees does not mean that another tank cannot see you and kill you..
You look out your turret and see nothing but green trees. The other guy is looking at those same  trees and can see your tank plain as day poking out past a tree trunk.
I have killed many guys hiding behind trees by shooting at that small part of the tank sticking out past a tree trunk.

I guess my point is that what you see from your perspective is never the same as the one the other guy sees in his view finder.

Before you start talking on range about getting shot through a building or tree, you may want to save the film and see the shot from the other guys viewfinder... :salute
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 05:45:29 PM by sky25 »

sky25  "Vsky" In The Game

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Shooting Through trees
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 06:06:47 PM »

Before you start talking on range about getting shot through a building or tree, you may want to save the film and see the shot from the other guys viewfinder... :salute

While I generally concur with your post, this is a thing that doesn't really work. You can't see exactly what the other player did see on his end, unless you are watching his film.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 06:44:54 PM »
While I generally concur with your post, this is a thing that doesn't really work. You can't see exactly what the other player did see on his end, unless you are watching his film.

Thats certainly true for fast moving aircraft (hence the problem with collisions).

However, with something as slow moving, or camped, like a tank, I don't expect there would be any noticeble positional lag due to latency. 

I could be wrong tho, but that'd be my guess.

Regards,
Wab

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 06:46:10 PM »

Good Point Lusche..

sky25  "Vsky" In The Game

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 07:01:21 PM »
I use t34-85 with HVAP flat trajectory just for this reason

Offline Dr_Death8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 07:04:50 PM »
Sorry, but if I can see even a small piece of your GV between branches or trees, I will shoot at it. Usually get whined at about shooting through trees for it too. Part of the game. :aok
To make sure you are really well hidden behind trees, once you get a spot, hop out of your tank and walk out about 200 yds to make sure your tank is well hidden  :devil  

Just like hiding behind hills or behind/beside a building does not always protect you from "splash" damage from HE. Enough close HE rounds can be lethal.  :salute

Offline Dr_Death8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 07:06:12 PM »
I use t34-85 with HVAP flat trajectory just for this reason

HVAP and zooming in all the way  :aok

...also use the MG first, if you get a hit sprite, put the main round into it. Kaboom!  :eek: :salute

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 07:08:43 PM »
However, with something as slow moving, or camped, like a tank, I don't expect there would be any noticeble positional lag due to latency. 

Chances are much smaller that it happens than in fighters, but some offset is always possible. And the effect can be somewhat pronounced - 5 feet could be hardly noticeable in a fast dogfight, while on the ground it could make all the difference in having a view through that treeline or not.

The second important thing to note that the shells and trajectories we see other than our own are more or less an approximation. While it can seem the shell went just through the ridge of a hill it actuallly was lobbed just above it. (I have been on both sides of the equation quite a few times ;))
Most of us have seen it: Enemy tank in town. He's shooting at buildings, but it seems the rounds are just going through, but the buildings do explode.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Gaboon

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 07:37:34 PM »
OK folks I'll make this plain and simple your in tank #1 say a PzIV about 30' long and 9' wide behind a pine tree with a 7' branch base beginning 2' off the ground. You position your tank at an angle so your turret can get a clear shot 30 degrees of axis to your tank body, now in your mind being this close to the tree you think your totally covered well this is true in part. Remember your guns center is center of your tank and roughly 7' between breech and front of tank meaning that about 3' of the front of your tank isn't masked by the tree. Now me being in tank #2 at 400 yards not only can I see the 3' sticking out but I can also see your entire drive train from mid wheel to the ground and the entire front face of the tank. I have driven tanks a lot and I know tank warfare even if your hull down you can still be shot through that hill because that's not what the other guy is seeing. Ones best bet to survival is always hull down never think your safe when your static behind a tree or trees.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 09:16:38 PM »
An easier way to explain it is like this.
You are in a gunfight with somebody. You hide behind a small hill  on your hands and knees keeping your head down behind the hill. but you dont notice that because its asmall hill your butt is sticking up in the air. now you cant see the other guy because your head is down behind the hill hiding. but he can see your butt clear as day.
End result. You get shot in the bottom.

Just because your view is blocked from seeing him. Doesnt mean his view is blocked from seeing you
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 09:34:22 AM »
The only thing I have seen consistenly shoot though trees is autoack.
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum