Author Topic: new type of b25 please.  (Read 951 times)

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
new type of b25 please.
« on: December 21, 2010, 10:11:40 AM »
hey guys, i was recently watching the episode of "great planes" with the b25 on it, and i saw that they had a model with a type of under fuselage guns on it. (two .50 cals under the belly i believe) and said it was aimed by a periscope.

i also remember a few months back watching a history channel show where they recovered a very rare b25 out of a ship that had an actual ballturret intact on it.

does anyone know the classification of these types of b25s? and can they be put in game?.

the b25s biggest weakness right now is how easy it is to attack it from underneath, away from its guns.

give it a ball turret so it has a fighting chance  :pray :aok

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Re: new type of b25 please.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 10:23:05 AM »
The ventral turret was found on early model B-25's and was actually standard on the B-25C that we have in game.  It was however almost universally reviled by the air crews who couldn't hit a thing with it and it was known to cause vertigo and nausea on the part of the poor operator.  As a result it appears that most units removed it in the field, especially in the Pacific where the the 25's were being converted to low level strafers and wouldn't need a belly gun anyway.

I can't say if this was the reason that HTC did not model the gun position, or if accurately modeling the system wasn't worth the payoff in the end.  The gunner has to kneel on a padded cushion on the bottom of the airplane and peer through a periscope which inverted the image he was trying to shoot at from most crew accounts I've read it was a real pain in the behind.
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 12:52:25 PM »
As Soulyss said.  It was useless other then causing gunners to throw up.  
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 02:56:50 PM »

Maybe we can kill 999000 then
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 02:59:56 PM »

thats in rl. could be a whole diff story in AH, look at the brew? a horrible plane in rl but in AH it can somehow outrun 109s and ponies.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 03:23:11 PM »
thats in rl. could be a whole diff story in AH, look at the brew? a horrible plane in rl but in AH it can somehow outrun 109s and ponies.

No.  A Brewster cannot outrun 109s and Ponys in game either.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 03:30:08 PM »
No.  A Brewster cannot outrun 109s and Ponys in game either.

wrongway

tell that to all the ppl who have been run down by brewsters in temps/ponies/38s/etc  :rolleyes:

Offline curry1

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 03:34:56 PM »
ALL YOUR CREDIBILITY

tell that to all the ppl who have been run down by brewsters in temps/ponies/38s/etc  :rolleyes:

You just lost it.
Curry1-Since Tour 101

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 04:07:40 PM »
In a dive it will catch them & with enough E they may intially run them down if the gap is not to great. No it will not out run any of these flat & level.

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 04:20:33 PM »
In a dive it will catch them & with enough E they may intially run them down if the gap is not to great. No it will not out run any of these flat & level.

i should of clarified more, im sorry. i usually get run down by brews in the DA and im allways like this afterwards: :headscratch: woundering how they do it.

but yea AH doesnt model problems with guns/engines/etc. so why couldnt the ball turrets be added to the b25? we wouldnt suffer from the sickness the real gunners did. and it would give the b25c's a much better chance in places like mw and lw where everyone knows the easyiest way to kill them is simply hide under them

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 04:48:17 PM »
i should of clarified more, im sorry. i usually get run down by brews in the DA and im allways like this afterwards: :headscratch: woundering how they do it.

but yea AH doesnt model problems with guns/engines/etc. so why couldnt the ball turrets be added to the b25? we wouldnt suffer from the sickness the real gunners did. and it would give the b25c's a much better chance in places like mw and lw where everyone knows the easyiest way to kill them is simply hide under them
It just boils down that HTC chose to model what was used the most in WWII. As the others pointed out the early B25's had them & was quickly done away with & they stopped putting them on at the factory. So we have what was most commonly produced in game. It is a wish list & no harm in asking I don't think your chances of getting it are that good though.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 06:45:50 PM »

I'd suggest running on the deck then so they can't run under you.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2010, 06:57:06 PM »

I've never had a Brewster chase me down in a P-38J, even when a Brewster has dove on me with a 5,000ft altitude advantage it never got close to me. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline ariansworld

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 09:59:23 PM »
hey guys, i was recently watching the episode of "great planes" with the b25 on it, and i saw that they had a model with a type of under fuselage guns on it. (two .50 cals under the belly i believe) and said it was aimed by a periscope.

i also remember a few months back watching a history channel show where they recovered a very rare b25 out of a ship that had an actual ballturret intact on it.

does anyone know the classification of these types of b25s? and can they be put in game?.

the b25s biggest weakness right now is how easy it is to attack it from underneath, away from its guns.

give it a ball turret so it has a fighting chance  :pray :aok

Are you talking about the b25 that was pulled out of Lake Murray?  (I think that is what lake it was)  It had the remote operated turret, it is currently sitting in a museum in Birmingham, AL as it was found on the bottom of the lake.

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 10:37:44 PM »
Are you talking about the b25 that was pulled out of Lake Murray?  (I think that is what lake it was)  It had the remote operated turret, it is currently sitting in a museum in Birmingham, AL as it was found on the bottom of the lake.

MAYBE, i dont remember tho :(  i do remember the guy on the show kind of bragging about the find, because it was "very rare" to find a b25 with an actual ball turret intact nowadays.