Author Topic: Combat Tour on Main Arena - some ideas  (Read 4310 times)

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
Combat Tour on Main Arena - some ideas
« on: December 22, 2010, 01:48:57 AM »
There was a recent topic regarding Combat Tour a week ago. It would be good to discuss the possibility of bringing some sort of CT directly into the Main Arena.

We have three countries at war with each other, two countries may stay exactly the same as they are now. But the third one may be converted into the Combat Tour country. That means that the people who will join this country will play the game in “Combat Tour” style while the other people from the other countries will play the game in old good “Main Arena” style.

What does Combat Tour (CT) style means?

CT people start each tour with a very limited numbers of available planes / GVs. It will be a very hard and challenging start - For example:

Fighters: P40B
Bombers: D3A1,  B5A2
Transport: C47

GVs: LVTs, M3, SdKfz 251, M16, and may be T-34-76

The scoring system should work completely different for those people (in CT country). They should gain points for completing successful missions. So, for example if the mission was to capture the field and the field was captured, the people who participated in this mission and  survived got lots of points and the people who died/got captured – got some points. If the mission was not successful the people who survived got nothing and the people who died lost some points. This will make people to play smart if the want to achieve some success.

After several successful missions when the person got enough score points he will be promoted to a new rank and new planes will become available for him to fly.

For example after several successful bombing missions in D3A or B5N the Ju87 becomes available following by SBD, TBM, two-engine bombers, and so on. For the fighter pilot the next planes after P40B could be Hurricane I, Spit I and bf109E, following by A6M2, I-16, Brewster etc. The same story should be with GVs. These planes/GVs “trees” must be thought out well.

You may say it is insane to put so much effort to get just Ju87 while the other people from two other countries can immediately fly B17s, Lancs etc. The people who play CT will be sitting ducks for people from the other two countries who fly the later war planes. I agree that there would not be enough people from current Main Arena, who would like to play CT this way. That is why HTC may consider the way of bringing a new blood: make it possible to the people with free accounts to play CT on Main Arena. From the first look it seems quite unfair that some people will pay to play and some will play for free, but the people who pay will have all the benefits they have now and the people who fly for free will be strictly limited to a few early war planes being always hunted and the only way for them to turn the tables is to stay very well organized. It is not a secret that the huge number of people has already played AH for more or less long time and for some reasons has cancelled their accounts. I suppose many of these people would like to return back if they see changes in gameplay and at least give it a new try even it will be quite challenging setup. A big group of new people would also take a chance to play for free even in handicapped conditions.  Probably many people from IL-2 will give it a try, as they used to buy a box game and play for free on small arenas, they may consider to try mass multiplayer for free as well and if they like it may be they will end up subscribing to pay for play accounts.  Obviously the more people will give it a try – the more will become pay to play customers eventually. CT will be  like a start up platform – after several tours CT people will think they may be better to pay for play and fly whatever they want, becoming a hunters :)
It will work much better than free H2H (which actually didn’t work well) as H2H people flew whatever they liked and furballed as long as they wanted without a craving to become a subscribed customer just do the same things in MA.
Of course some people will play CT for free for a long time if they find a way to get somewhat success in CT tours playing smart and organized – which would be also a good benefit for Main Arena. The more populated and organized the Main Arena is – the more action, targets an fun for everybody.
CT would be better than RPS (rolling plane set) which was introduced in WarBirds quite ago. RPS means that day after day “historical” time moves slowly and new planes become available in particular time, though you can not accelerate this process and you do not need to put any efforts to get new planes just to wait until they become available. This conception doesn't make a lot of sense in MA and quickly becomes boring. CT means the better you try – the better and quicker results you get. Everything depends on you and your teammates.

The early war/middle war planes will become a main weapon for CT people (especially in the beginning of CT tour). These birds will never be a hangar queens anymore in MA. Modelling of the new early war planes will be highly appreciated.

CT will not be a “historical” tour, but Main Arena has never been a historical place for WWII flight simulation. To be able to play historical missions in Special Events arenas CT people who play with free accounts will have to subscribe and become a pay to play customers.

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Re: Combat Tour on Main Arena - some ideas
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 08:03:06 AM »
I would absolutely love to see an organized, historical type aspect brought to the mains, but I just don't think it'd ever work. For one reason we have way, way, way to many guys now concerned with just getting a kill, pretty stats, or a low rank. Guys would just hover over the CT guys waiting to pounce on a mass of D3As or P40s.
I can see it now, spixteens and 51s everywhere landing double digit kills in there quest to be the #1 fight jock of the day.

That, and I just don't think there are that many interested in CT to make it practical in the MA. Those guys tend to do the scenerios, FSO or AvA.

The "free" no pay players I feel would be too few and far between to even be a factor. You might get 20,30 or 40 people that check it out, but the learning curve for the game
would quickly overwhelm them and they'd quickly lose interest. :salute

Lighten up Francis

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 08:56:42 AM »
I would like to see the GV game enhanced with more features and better physics and a GV only arena.

"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 03:08:45 PM »
Maybe you could just  try scenarios, or try adapting this to snapshots.  CT team would be pounced, clubbed,vulched, and base rolled in a matter of hours. :rofl
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline Amaazee

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 03:29:01 PM »
I would like to see the GV game enhanced with more features and better physics and a GV only arena.

I would love to learn to GV :)
[In-Game: Amaazee]
Road to Rangoon 2011
Überprüfung Sechs

Offline doomed

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 04:11:39 PM »
CT would be great but the non CT guys would just gang bang the CT side outa the game.

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 02:18:49 AM »
I would absolutely love to see an organized, historical type aspect brought to the mains, but I just don't think it'd ever work. For one reason we have way, way, way to many guys now concerned with just getting a kill, pretty stats, or a low rank. Guys would just hover over the CT guys waiting to pounce on a mass of D3As or P40s.
I can see it now, spixteens and 51s everywhere landing double digit kills in there quest to be the #1 fight jock of the day.

Yes, I see it would be many sharkies around craving for easy kills. If it makes them happy - it's fine. For CT people it will mean - many enemies around and they need to use smart tactics and good teamwork. 

That, and I just don't think there are that many interested in CT to make it practical in the MA. Those guys tend to do the scenerios, FSO or AvA.

The "free" no pay players I feel would be too few and far between to even be a factor. You might get 20,30 or 40 people that check it out, but the learning curve for the game would quickly overwhelm them and they'd quickly lose interest. :salute

I feel that it will be much more people who would like to play for free, and I can see the difficulties for everybody when arenas will start to reach their max numbers. The only solution is to bring more big arenas to play. Learning curve is really hard, doesn't matter what plane you are flying, of course it is even more harder in early war plane, but from the other hand it is better when you are a part of the team. I suppose It could be good idea to bring some kind of a trainers to CT country, the experienced persons who will organize CT people and help them to plan a good missions and if necessary be a group leaders.

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 03:01:05 AM »
CT team would be pounced, clubbed,vulched, and base rolled in a matter of hours. :rofl

It is a serious problem and it may be necessary to make more fields for CT country that can not be captured by other countries. That will ensure that CT people will not be cornered to a few bases being instantly vulched from the beginning of the tour.
From the other hand I can see completely different picture when CT people will learn how to make their missions more and more successful, will get better fighter planes (like 109F, SpitV) ,  faster bombers that can be flown in formations (like Bostons) and after that they will start to launch massive, coordinated missions attacking several fields simultaneously.  It will be very impressive base roll back and I feel it will make main arena people to apply all their efforts to stop this aggression otherwise  they will end up being cornered and vulched and their super fast planes will not help them a lot in this case. I am sure there will be lots of action and lots of epic battles around which Main Arena haven't seen before.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 04:14:38 AM »
 :old: I would love to see more mission based play.  The code for Combat Tour I believe is still pretty far away for the MA.  However, as pointed out the AvA hosts FSO style setups that are available 24 hours a day.

Before the big update in AHII, CT stood for Combat Theater, that was the old Axis versus Allies Arena.  Although even back then the numbers were few, there were dedicated players that logged a great deal of their time there.  With the big AHII update, more arenas were added EW, MW, and another LW.  The training and dueling arenas took on new awesome designs.  And the AvA has been almost always empty during Euro times and LW off hours play since.

What most folks that fly during the day are missing, is that an AvA arena with 4 or 5 players is actually a pretty busy place.  The fights occur almost instantly. 

The question, what will it take to get the daytime / LW off hours players to step outside of their sandbox and visit and arena with 0 or 1 players in it and sit long enough to fly a couple of patterns about their base, before another "displaced sandboxee" joins in to engage.  Get an AvA daytime arena with anywhere near 10 guys in it, and you could pretty much get the kind of game play that you are describing. 

HTC has been very generous with allowing AvA, Training Arena Staff, and Special Event Staff the tools to put together some very interesting scenarios that alter the reward system to encourage different play styles, such as cooperative missions, multiple frame events or even on the job training sessions, offered by volunteer trainers.

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2010, 07:42:39 AM »
Try The
Axis Vs Allies arena

http://avaarena.org/

« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 07:47:28 AM by Nr_RaVeN »
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 07:10:53 PM »
It is a serious problem and it may be necessary to make more fields for CT country that can not be captured by other countries. That will ensure that CT people will not be cornered to a few bases being instantly vulched from the beginning of the tour.
Oh this would surely piss off the 20-30 plane noe base taking squad horde for sure. :rofl

A SEA style event would be the way to go. :aok
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline WYOKIDIII

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 12:10:19 AM »
Oh this would surely piss off the 20-30 plane noe base taking squad horde for sure. :rofl

A SEA style event would be the way to go. :aok
Sure , we could do this on Tuesday nights . Run 2 or 3 scenarios . And it could be done in LWO arena for maximum pisofstudmuffine .
Sooo....What , are those guys here to kill you because God forgot too ?

Hank Venture

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 12:25:47 AM »
AvA :noid
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 01:45:48 AM »
AvAhova Witnesses..

I like the idea though.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 01:53:13 AM »
only playing smart for the ct country would be to switch.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.