Author Topic: F3 Next tour  (Read 3387 times)

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
F3 Next tour
« on: December 27, 2010, 10:13:57 AM »
So I said in a previous thread I would begin the next tour flying IL2 1st week F1 and 2nd week F3 to see if there is a measurable difference tween the 2.
I tinkered with it Sunday a bit in F3 and found no issues with gunning, in fact I found it easier in some aspects over F1 cockpit view.

I expect the week in F1 will be very tedious and full of "towertime"
The week of F3 will show unmistakable improvement and advantage IMHO.

After my initial look at it this weekend, I will deffinitely do the test next tour!

I am also thinking of doing a 3rd week with a gunner to see "with gunner" if it is comparible to F3. Some have said that F3 is the same as having another pair of eyes in the back seat (we shall see).  I suspect the delay and lack of precise info from the gunner will show a significant disadvantage compaired to F3! Any volunteers for week 3?  ;)

This is for fun only, although after researching the database for F3 it seems there is much contention and disagreement over it. Yet I could find no evidence if any1 did a fair measurable study of it! So I'll give it a go.

Besides I'm sure I'll be shot down at the same rate as I am in the JUG :)

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
Re: F3 Next tour
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 10:39:54 AM »
So I said in a previous thread I would begin the next tour flying IL2 1st week F1 and 2nd week F3 to see if there is a measurable difference tween the 2.
I tinkered with it Sunday a bit in F3 and found no issues with gunning, in fact I found it easier in some aspects over F1 cockpit view.

I expect the week in F1 will be very tedious and full of "towertime"
The week of F3 will show unmistakable improvement and advantage IMHO.

After my initial look at it this weekend, I will deffinitely do the test next tour!

I am also thinking of doing a 3rd week with a gunner to see "with gunner" if it is comparible to F3. Some have said that F3 is the same as having another pair of eyes in the back seat (we shall see).  I suspect the delay and lack of precise info from the gunner will show a significant disadvantage compaired to F3! Any volunteers for week 3?  ;)

This is for fun only, although after researching the database for F3 it seems there is much contention and disagreement over it. Yet I could find no evidence if any1 did a fair measurable study of it! So I'll give it a go.

Besides I'm sure I'll be shot down at the same rate as I am in the JUG :)

JUGgler
i will ride with Jug dont mind my story telling  :)   :salute
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2010, 11:05:41 AM »

JUGgler

Just wait until you have 15 or 20 busy sorties with the gunnery...it will shock you.  Dont forget to set you convergence out twice as far as you like it now...the arc will help flat turn shots.  Two predictions:

1)  Your hit % will drop because you will follow your tracer trail initially;  once you establish your shot angle-sight picture, it will go back up;
2)  Your long distance kills (600+) will be noticable almost immediately at any visable angle.

Good luck with it..

Changeup
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 11:09:11 AM »
The only folks that doubt there's a benefit to using F3 for gunning are those that have never used it repeatedly. Even dogfighting in a Ju87 is a million times easier with F3 on in the MAs because you pull perfect lead until you see your hitsprites land, then keep them hitting until you kill the target.

In a cannon armed IL2 it's a little different but still quite powerful. I've got deflection shots off on LA7s with my 37mm (yes, the big spuds) on an IL2 before. Pulled so much lead the La7 was at the bottom of my screen (in F3 mode, mind you!) and still landed 2 rounds on target.

So I don't get all the doubt recently. It's been this way since forever. Since HTH rooms have had F3 enabled all the way back in AH1. It's just a fact. More power to folks if they're just learning it now, but this is old news.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2010, 11:17:04 AM »
The only folks that doubt there's a benefit to using F3 for gunning are those that have never used it repeatedly. Even dogfighting in a Ju87 is a million times easier with F3 on in the MAs because you pull perfect lead until you see your hitsprites land, then keep them hitting until you kill the target.

In a cannon armed IL2 it's a little different but still quite powerful. I've got deflection shots off on LA7s with my 37mm (yes, the big spuds) on an IL2 before. Pulled so much lead the La7 was at the bottom of my screen (in F3 mode, mind you!) and still landed 2 rounds on target.

So I don't get all the doubt recently. It's been this way since forever. Since HTH rooms have had F3 enabled all the way back in AH1. It's just a fact. More power to folks if they're just learning it now, but this is old news.

The news is old but the debate to eliminate it to fire guns in the MA and DA rages on!  Use it to look around but some folks want the weapons disabled when using external view.

Changeup
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 11:19:10 AM by Changeup »
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline jamdive

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2010, 11:21:40 AM »
Using f3 mode in a il2 in my book is a cheat and htc should make it so that you cannot drop eggs or fire guns in any plane in f3 mode.
Just my opinion of course, but I have seen this abused when an Il2 pulled off a 90 degree deflection shot on my p47 that was traveling at over 450mph. Its the same players doing it time and time again.

Offline Dr_Death8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2010, 11:44:43 AM »
F3 mode I would imagine is just like an arcade version of playing a flight sim where you are seeing the whole plane from the tail end perspective. Seems the Stuka and IL-2 are the only two fighter/bombers this option is enabled on too. Seems we should either have all fighters/bombers set up this way or none.  :salute

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2010, 11:49:54 AM »
Seems the Stuka and IL-2 are the only two fighter/bombers this option is enabled on too. Seems we should either have all fighters/bombers set up this way or none.  :salute

Actually they are. because Both Stuka & Il-2 are not fighter/bombers. They are bomber/attackers. And all bombers do have F3, all fighters do not.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 12:13:16 PM »
Heres a question about the F3 controversy:

In F1 view, if you default your head position crouched all the way down so technicaly your as low as your instruments, would face shots result in pilot wounds, kills or would the bullets bypass you?

Would switching to F3 automaticly put the pilot in the default head position?

I say this because in F1, you crouch down then fly and gun in F3 mode, would this give you somewhat of an advantage?
****Let the beatings begin***

in game name: Tralfaz

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2010, 12:15:10 PM »
Heres a question about the F3 controversy:

In F1 view, if you default your head position crouched all the way down so technicaly your as low as your instruments, would face shots result in pilot wounds, kills or would the bullets bypass you?

It doesn't matter.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2010, 12:34:20 PM »
It doesn't matter.

This is why you get paid the big bucks Snail :rofl

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2010, 12:36:52 PM »
Actually they are. because Both Stuka & Il-2 are not fighter/bombers. They are bomber/attackers. And all bombers do have F3, all fighters do not.

Was the attack category invented to help scoring? It seems to me that ATTACK is merely the "gray area" where AH attorney types can work the system without really commiting to anything :aok

Seems to me FIGHTER and BOMBER categories are all that is needed. Just divide plane types into these 2 categories! ie. P47s

D11-fighter
D25-bomber
D40-bomber
N - bomber
M - fighter

It seems any group of planes could be divided as such!

JUGgler
Army of Muppets

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 12:40:18 PM »
Was the attack category invented to help scoring? It seems to me that ATTACK is merely the "gray area" where AH attorney types can work the system without really commiting to anything :aok

Seems to me FIGHTER and BOMBER categories are all that is needed. Just divide plane types into these 2 categories! ie. P47s

D11-fighter
D25-bomber
D40-bomber
N - bomber
M - fighter

JUGgler

Sorry hijacking my own thread there  :)
Army of Muppets

Offline oTRALFZo

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 12:40:25 PM »

D11-fighter
D25-bomber
D40-bomber
N - bomber
M - fighter

JUGgler

You forgot the B38 :uhoh

Offline JUGgler

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 12:46:08 PM »
You forgot the B38 :uhoh

G - fighter
J - fighter