Author Topic: Corner Velocities  (Read 1620 times)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Re: Corner Velocities
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2010, 05:20:48 PM »
Corner velocity has next to zero practical meaning in a dogfight. It is just some number to compare aircrafts on paper, not unlike wingload.

Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 10:14:41 AM »
Does anyone know where I can get information as to the corner velocities for the different AH planes?

Yeh, I can get a stop watch and figure it out, but I'd rather spend the time on line serving as a target drone :)

AKEagle+

Hi AKEagle+

I know you said you didn't want to use a stopwatch and figure stuff out, but I've simplified the process so at least you won't have to do any math, and the results are shown graphically as well so that you can see the turn rate and radius visually as well as in numbers.

Download Badboy's BootStrap Calculator

Also, if you want to analyse the flap performance the two circle graphic window includes the first 6 aircraft on the list. That way you can either compare six different aircraft, or one aircraft with six different configurations (flap settings). It also allows you to enter the maximum flap speeds, and checks to see whether the maximum turn rate achievable in that configuration will be limited by the flap speed, G limit or lift limit and quotes appropriate values. When the flap notch is set to zero it calculates corner data in the normal way.

If you load the lower cells with aircraft data, you can then copy and past rows into the top slots so you can get graphic comparisons for any aircraft combinations.

I've loaded it with data for the P-38L and BF109K4 so you can play with it from the get go.

However, if you absolutely don't want to use your stopwatch, my apologies for wasting your time.

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 10:18:09 AM »
AK Eagle hasn't been on the forums since 2007. This thread is from 2002.

Please folks, note the dates!

Offline drgondog

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 12:28:04 PM »
Corner velocity has next to zero practical meaning in a dogfight. It is just some number to compare aircrafts on paper, not unlike wingload.

Yes - and no.  Knowing that there is a speed to G range - a relationship you ignore at your risk because you depart into an accelerated stall - is 'useful' to know even though you will not be looking at airspeed in a manuever.  Its primary purpose is to convey a manufacturer's warning regarding loads and speeds to the pilot - also a useful 'factoid' to consider when exuberance exceeds rational thought...

So, like all 'theoretical' info, comparing aircraft on paper, or conveying the results of rigorous tests between potential adversaries is VERY useful intelligence regarding 'fight vs flight' tactical decisions.
Nicholas Boileau "Honor is like an island, rugged and without shores; once we have left it, we can never return"

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2010, 12:55:47 PM »
Please folks, note the dates!

Ohhh boy, I saw the thread at the top of the list and didn't think to check the date.

But since it has been resurrected, the info may still be helpful.

Badboy
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired