Author Topic: Win7 and background processes  (Read 760 times)

Offline james

• Silver Member
Win7 and background processes
« on: December 28, 2010, 06:05:48 PM »
I had to put vista on a diet to play with an older dual core system. With win7 does it help with less processes as well? Is there  place on the net that shows what is safe to turn off in msconfig that is trustable?
6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070

Offline Tigger29

• Gold Member
Re: Win7 and background processes
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2010, 10:27:16 PM »
I had to put vista on a diet to play with an older dual core system. With win7 does it help with less processes as well? Is there  place on the net that shows what is safe to turn off in msconfig that is trustable?

Nah Win7 is about as resource hungry as Vista.. it might handle what it eats a little better but don't expect it to run any better on an older system.  Maybe you should consider sticking with XP for now.

www.blackviper.com has a lot of good information about all the different processes, etc. that you can shut down.

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 06:30:39 AM »
Try Game Booster. It's free and shuts down programs that are not needed.

<S> Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 06:44:52 AM »
AlacrityPC has a Vista profile that shuts down the default processes and allows you to add processes from programs you install. It also allows you to setup programs to be launched ahead of AH like FRAPS or TrackIR and then reverses the process when you quit AH.

http://alacritypc.kensalter.com/

Search the forums for it to see my posts on setup and use.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 12:47:20 AM »
forget iobits, it got crappy in the past year.  I tried alacrity and messed up my system pretty bad.  you really gotta know what you are turning off.  check out this website, lots of guys use it in the game.  win7 manages resources better than vista ever did.  it will be better if you actually post your system info.  will give people more ideas on how to help you.

http://www.blackviper.com/

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 02:42:11 AM »
Im surprised you havent put the two together yet guncrasher. The thing to do is use what you learn at blackviper to setup Alacrity.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 04:49:35 AM »
no, the problem is that it is not a beginners program.  it's much simpler to go into services msc and turn whatever you want off using blackvipers as a reference. instead of messing with several screens trying to figure out what each one of them does.  to this day, i still dont know exactly what i did that caused windows to not boot.
semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 10:57:50 AM »
The whole concept of shutting down processes isnt for beginners! Thats why Alacrity is set up to allow you to "Action = stop then restart" and since it comes with a default profile for XP and Vista you really dont have to do anything except set the program you want to start (AH).

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 05:39:22 PM »
what do you equate to being an older dual core system?  what are the specs?

windows 7 will tell you that you can't shut down a process if you are tryingto shutdown/kill a process from running that the Win 7 OS needs to stay operationable.......

I to suggest going to 1 of the following websites and reading up on what is and isn't needed to run your operating system ( OS ) regardless if it is WinXP, Vista, Windows 7, etc.....

check out  www.blackviper.com  or check out www.processlibrary.com and review every/ any process or service you are considering shutting down

then use

services.msc  to stop/start/disable/run automatically/run manually  any particular service

also, services.msc will actually give you a definition of what the service is and does and will also tell you what other services depend on it or if this particular service depends on any other services to run........

to check all this out just go to the   start/run   for WinXP  or go to the Start/search programs and files box and type in

services.msc  then click enter and it will bring up the console

USE AND ATTEMPT AT YOUR OWN RISK

I advise anyone attempting to dig into this to check the above websites and research each service or process FIRST!!!!

but seriously, none of it is really hard, just have to use a little bit of caution and common sense.....

also, using services.msc is 100% more better than to be messing with the config.sys  and turning things on or off in configsys....... messing with config.sys can cause one to really foul p their PC and possibly make it to where it might not even boot back up.........

best of luck to ya

I am on an old dual core 939 socket3800+ X2......... with 2 gigs of ram and a old 512 meg GDDR2 nividia pci-e videocard and a 120 gig HD running Windows 7 64 bit........ using onboard sound and a old antec trupower II 500 watt PSU

I just stepped out of Aces High and was running 512 textures and hitting 68 to 71 fps  at 1280 x 1024 screen res...

just for a reference point on old pcs and these new OS's.......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline falcon23

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2011, 05:46:12 PM »
using alacrity I can go from 54 to 44 running...and thats without much digging..