Author Topic: Fighting multiple enemys in the Fw-190A-5  (Read 991 times)

Offline Mirage

• Nickel Member
Fighting multiple enemys in the Fw-190A-5
« on: December 29, 2010, 10:46:22 AM »
Hi everyone, I am practicing with the Fw-190A-5 in the DA and TA, and I am having trouble fighting against more then two enemys, I try to keep my speed up, and not to make any sharp turns. If I know I am faster then the bad guys, I try to make really wide climbing turns, and try to stall them out then I cut throttle roll the opposite way I am turning, put out flaps and try to get a good shot at them when they are falling, the wepons load I use is the Mg 151 20mm and the 7.62mm in the cowls, I dont really take the MG/FF cannons because I looked at the empty weight of the plane with and without the outer cannons and it seems to me they add alot of wieght for hom much ammo they come with. Back to the tactic I was using though, I can usually get one or two enemys doing this but then I seem to lose all my speed and energy and I am left as a sitting duck to and new enemys that come, so my question is, what is the best way to defend myself against new cons coming in once I finish my first fight I have used the sccisors manuver a couple of times, and with that I can usually kill the first one that jumps in on me with an overshoot or make him stall, but after I get the third kill, it almost always seems like the fourth guys comes and gets me right after I get the one when I am low and slow, is there aa better way to deffend myself in the 190A-5 without just staying fast and above the fight while zooming in to get a kill then leaving and coming back? ( I find this nice when I want to get some perks or something but after awhile I find that it is boring)

Thanks a bunch for the help guys  :salute
Kommando Nowotny

I/Jg-301Gelb Zehn |

Offline Raga

• Zinc Member
Re: Fighting multiple enemys in the Fw-190A-5
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 11:09:53 AM »
Be happy with your 3 easy kills m8

:x
Invictus Maneo

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 11:17:24 AM »
Sounds like you need to get a trusty wingman to pull you out of the mess when the watermelon hits the fan.   ;)

The 190's were always a hit and run plane, they weren't going to sit around and turn fight spit 5's.

Now unless your in a spit and can dominate everything inbound, the 190 is going to have to flee at some point.  If you find the 190's boring to fly smart, up something you can fight to the death in.

The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 11:19:41 AM »
Run
SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline Mirage

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 11:32:19 AM »
I dont find it boring to fly at all :) I just find boom and zooming all the time boring, I like to mix it up and fight different ways in it, but from what I understand, the best way to survive in a 190 when I run out of speed and energy is just to leave the fight then come back after I replaced it?
Kommando Nowotny

I/Jg-301Gelb Zehn |

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 11:59:07 AM »
I dont find it boring to fly at all :) I just find boom and zooming all the time boring, I like to mix it up and fight different ways in it, but from what I understand, the best way to survive in a 190 when I run out of speed and energy is just to leave the fight then come back after I replaced it?

yup do just that or get a wingman to come across and force the biggest threats to break off or kill them, to speed up your energy recovery.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 11:04:30 PM »
Keep in mind that the time you need to regain E may actually be relatively short.  You don't have to exit the fight completely, i.e. out of icon range.  You just need enough time to climb out a little and assess the situation before you dive back in.  Good situational awareness can also help.  If you have a decent idea of where everyone is, it's easier to decide whether to climb out and dive back in, or get the heck out of dodge.

I prefer to use the A5 in low-level furball situations where you can pick a target out, drop him, then take a few seconds to climb, and repeat.  You use your speed and acceleration to pull yourself out of the fight, have a look around, then go find another victim.

Think of flying the 190 as being a shark.  The furball is a school of pirahnna.  If you stay inside the school you're going to get torn to pieces eventually, so you dash in, rip a fish to shreds, then swim out just far enough so you can look for another victim, and repeat.

-Muzzy

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 12:28:50 PM »
I find that using the 190's obnoxious roll rate tends to help me out a bit. Be unpredictable, constantly change your direction (or vector, as some would have it.) You mentioned you don't do any sharp turns, that's generally good. When you're doing your 'slight' turn, try doing a quick roll and start turning into the opposite direction. The enemy, depending on their plane, may not be able to keep up with your roll rate and may burn E turning sharper to get a gun solution.

Extend, rinse, repeat.

Hope I was useful! Happy hunting.  :salute
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 12:54:58 PM »
I find that using the 190's obnoxious roll rate tends to help me out a bit.

When I'm feeling in need of some masochism I'll take a 190, preferably the A8 but the A5 will do.  Try this:  Don't turn at all.  Instead do a high yo-yo, then flip upside down and do a low yo-yo in the same direction (let's say you're going to the east all the time).  Then back up and so on.  It's surprising how well this can work.

- oldman

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 04:36:41 PM »
190 is really great in pairs or schwarms - but alone they have real issues keeping energy up if under attack a lot.  The A5 in particular can regain E very well (for a 190), but its needs 10 seconds or altitude to do it.

If you use BnZ style enrgy conservation attacks that put you back into a high energy state (excess altitude, distance) then the 190 is strong (like the P47) but unless you have a friend  to play loose duce style pack tactics where the friend can come in and clear your tail, all that rolling just delays death - and thats the thing - the roll defense is great to drain enemy E that a friend can take advantage of - but alone, its really hard to make successful against a smart/patient opponent.

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2010, 04:49:59 PM »
even if you get ganged, turn fighting in an A5 is a riot    :rock
-AoM-

Offline Vuokko

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2010, 05:51:00 PM »
even if you get ganged, turn fighting in an A5 is a riot    :rock

If riot is getting killed fast, that' the way!
Lentotaitoahan minulla ei koskaan ole ollut - vaan eipä sitä taida AH'n kaltasissa airquakeissa paljoa tarvitakaan. On toi reaktionopeus ollu aina aika heikko.

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 07:45:30 PM »
Actually the A5 is the best-turning of the FWs, especially at high and mid speed, although low speeds are still a problem. It's comparable to a Pony without flaps and better than a Pony with flaps. Combine that with the awesome roll rate and you can give the speedsters conniption fits for a while.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2010, 08:10:24 PM »
Actually the A5 is the best-turning of the FWs, especially at high and mid speed, although low speeds are still a problem. It's comparable to a Pony without flaps and better than a Pony with flaps. Combine that with the awesome roll rate and you can give the speedsters conniption fits for a while.

+1
-AoM-

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 04:02:58 AM »

I'll definitely have to give that a shot. Happy new year all!
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok