Author Topic: Challenges to the DA..  (Read 5994 times)

Offline leitwolf

• Nickel Member
Challenges to the DA..
« on: December 30, 2010, 05:56:49 PM »
Fellow AHers..

Maybe I'm not up to speed w/respect to current MA etiquette (well, if there is any to speak of :lol).
In the olden days it was custom to challenge somebody from the MA to a duel in the DA, and usually this wish was granted.

It looks like this has pretty much disappeared and often gets refused. I think that's pretty sad because it used to be a win/win: you either got satisfaction and your opponent learns something or you get whopped mercilessly and .. learn something.

Is this tradition gone?
veni, vidi, vulchi.

Offline L0nGb0w

• Copper Member
Re: Challenges to the DA..
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 06:12:47 PM »
the amount of people that are confident enough in their ability to actually fight someone dwindles daily.  most guys don't want a fight now, unless they have plenty of friendly backup in case they get in trouble.
~Kommando Nowotny~
ZLA - Don't Focke Wulf Us

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 06:14:52 PM »
Fellow AHers..

Maybe I'm not up to speed w/respect to current MA etiquette (well, if there is any to speak of :lol).
In the olden days it was custom to challenge somebody from the MA to a duel in the DA, and usually this wish was granted.

It looks like this has pretty much disappeared and often gets refused. I think that's pretty sad because it used to be a win/win: you either got satisfaction and your opponent learns something or you get whopped mercilessly and .. learn something.

Is this tradition gone?

Yes I have asked DA and almost always get refused. I only ask though when someone says I suck or calls me a spraying putz or something like that.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline DrBone1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 06:35:39 PM »
Fellow AHers..

Is this tradition gone?
Get with the DA guys that are up for it not many but a few are always up for a good 1v1 you see me ingame let me know if you are up for it bud same name here as ingame cept without the 1  :) Krupnski,Rud3boi,Juggler just some of the few i have spent time with recently
=The Damned=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6jjnCoBobc
I see DrBone has found a new Sith apprentice. Good, good, let the hate flow through you.  :devil
Move up, move over, or move aside.  Simple kombat 101.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 06:35:59 PM »
Fellow AHers..

Is this tradition gone?

There are lots of folks that believe 1 v 1ing in the DA is internet bullying and don't allow their egos to be reduced to rubble.  Any other explanation is complete BS.  I can't tell you how many times I opened my big mouth and got my bellybutton beat...humility is necessity in this game.  Really, who cares who wins or loses...you learn something no matter what and the loser gains a little cartoon pilot respect for the winner and the winner likely has a lot more respect for the loser for throwing his ego to the wind for 30 minutes...that's how I feel but I can't tell others how to feel about it.  Every time I have done it, when its over, generally neither folks are upset anymore...win or lose.  To add to this, some of the best times in the game have been 1 v 1ing and squad vs squad duels.  There just isn't much more fun in the game than that...jmo.

Changeup

PS- The good guys in this game never broadcast winning or losing in the DA.  They quietly beat you to death and <S> you for giving them a fight.  10 times out of 10, they will even tell you things to help you get better.  Besides, you might just surprise yourself during the fight...you might be better than you think.  I know Im not! lol
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 06:40:16 PM by Changeup »
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 07:00:08 PM »
Fellow AHers..

Is this tradition gone?

I wish more people would duel. I've tried everything from trash talking to just plain asking nicely. Sadly too many want to believe they are gods gift to AH and any DA challenge, friendly or not, risks shattering their fragile ego.

Friendly requests are the best IMHO, because then people are comfortable and are willing to try new moves with out risking loosing the fight, as there is 'nothing' at stake. Either way, the loss of interest in dueling is the detriment to all of the pilots, as its a sure fire way of getting better, faster.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline infowars

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 07:02:46 PM »
DA is essential in a male driven game.  Wish there was one for real life.
SWneo <==== In game name. Cpt 125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 07:06:51 PM »
DA is essential in a male driven game.  Wish there was one for real life.

Stupid idea for RL...
It starts out as anarchy and it leads to fascism where everyone gets the short end of the stick except for one person. I hope your the largest, strongest, biggest & most ruthless gorrilla around...
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline leitwolf

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2010, 07:14:45 PM »
Not at all. Look at what Changeup wrote. There is nothing to be lost in the DA, except an unwarranted and inflated image of my own skillZ as a cartoon pilot. If somebody wipes the floor with me in the DA, i get better.
veni, vidi, vulchi.

Offline DMGOD

• Silver Member
      • DRUNKEN MONKEYS
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2010, 07:20:34 PM »
pffft da means nothing. When i would da somebody all they ever do is climb 15k above agreed merge alt then right b4 viz they scream down to said alt and fight u in f3 mode. Not saying everybody has but the good majority do and it's really pathetic. I've had the pleasure of what I consider some of the best sticks in the game beat the snot out of me and I loved it but the rest of you (and you know who you are) should be ashamed of yourselves    :banana:   
Because every pretty girl deserves to go to a ball.  http://thedrunkenmonkeys.webs.com

This is the smartest saying ever, period. nothing beats it if you really look deep into he meaning. your a g*&da^*genius dmgod  :aok

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2010, 07:36:57 PM »
Not at all. Look at what Changeup wrote. There is nothing to be lost in the DA, except an unwarranted and inflated image of my own skillZ as a cartoon pilot. If somebody wipes the floor with me in the DA, i get better.

huh? did you see my previous post before that?
I agree with changeup, but I don't believe this is good for RL (Real Life) as the other poster suggested, where unlike AH, you do have something at stake.
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2010, 07:41:17 PM »
DA is essential in a male driven game.  Wish there was one for real life.

Pfft we had the real thing in the old west...do you really whanna die? ;)

The world is full of bad people ready to snap your neck

Offline leitwolf

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 07:58:29 PM »
huh? did you see my previous post before that?
Nope.. brain afk :lol I agree with you on the RL part :)
veni, vidi, vulchi.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 08:02:57 PM »
I wish more people would duel. I've tried everything from trash talking to just plain asking nicely. Sadly too many want to believe they are gods gift to AH and any DA challenge, friendly or not, risks shattering their fragile ego.

Friendly requests are the best IMHO, because then people are comfortable and are willing to try new moves with out risking loosing the fight, as there is 'nothing' at stake. Either way, the loss of interest in dueling is the detriment to all of the pilots, as its a sure fire way of getting better, faster.

I used to love the old DA challange, the tension and excitment was a real moviation to try and fly my best, nobody decent wants to DA and even if they do you know and have fought most of the guys countless times before a lot of the motivation slips.

Friendly requests suck theres no thrill to them, get yourself a shade account fly around normal and people will start to whine on 200 offer them DA they will accept have your fights but be respectful and leave on good terms. Its a great way of meeting people! And for the most part you find out that moron on 200 is actually an spot on fella  :salute  :lol

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 08:43:29 PM »
I was demanded into the DA about a month ago. Demanded. By some kid yelling at me for shooting his B-25 down.

Twice.

Claimed it was unfair that I was shooting him down and that he was just trying to bomb GV's. My countrymen on the ground, having a mostly good time.

I agreed, went to the DA, met up at two fields. I told the kid 'your ride, your rules.'

His reply?

'No jets, no rules.'

So, being the DA, I up an unfamiliar ride. The Spit XIV. I merge with him with a 2.5 altitude advantage, wanting not to over-due it. He flies (IIRC) an LA-7.
He tries to HO me several times, I avoid every time. I go vertical, somehow end up in an unrecoverable inverted flat spin.

He tries desperately to shoot me as I fall, helplessly. He doesn't manage a hit. *boom* - tower. He begins to brag and gloat, I told him round 1 of 3 goes to him.
Suddenly. "g2g"

Offline instantly. I'll never waste my time with a duel challenge again.
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok