Author Topic: Make the P51D a perked aircraft  (Read 5565 times)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Re: Make the P51D a perked aircraft
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2011, 05:41:48 PM »
The plane really is nothing special, with regards to Aces High.

Really.  Are we talking about the same Aces High, where most people take the path of least resistance more often than not?

The P-51D is subpar as a TNB dogfighter.  But it is a stone cold killer.  If you switched the flight model with that of the P-40E, would you really believe the P-51D would still be at the top of the kill chart every month?
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2011, 05:43:59 PM »
Grab the F4U-4 and compare it with the P51D, compare the performance differences, the gun package differences, and ordnance differences, and then report as to why you the F4U-4 is perked and the P51D is not.

Double check your answers.

Grab the Spit14 and compare it with the P51D, compare the performance differences, the gun package differences, and ordnance differences, and then report as to why you the F4U-4 is perked and the P51D is not.

Double check your answers.

Perking the P51D does have its merit, other than the fact that the crying would be worse than a gym full of 300 children who just saw Barney get killed.  :lol

Given equal pilots the -4 will eat the 51's lunch. The 4hog is the best prop plane in game... do some searching, widewing did an excellent write up as to why.
See Rule #4

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2011, 05:44:11 PM »
51 can be easily beaten if you would take the time to learn how.......  Whats next, perk everything else you get shot down by?

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2011, 05:58:12 PM »
51 can be easily beaten if you would take the time to learn how.......  Whats next, perk everything else you get shot down by?
lemme guess, his next wish is to perk the la7...then the k4...then the hurri2c...i can say that if giving a p51 a small perk price what will stop people from using it? alot of people use the chog and its perked. i never had one naval assault on a friendly base without at least 1 chog (that i can remember) being there. perking it is useless

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2011, 06:16:38 PM »
Really.  Are we talking about the same Aces High, where most people take the path of least resistance more often than not?

The P-51D is subpar as a TNB dogfighter.  But it is a stone cold killer.  If you switched the flight model with that of the P-40E, would you really believe the P-51D would still be at the top of the kill chart every month?

Yes, we are.

People often pick a ride because it is their favorite one for historical reasons.  P-51D is probably one of the more popular aircraft in this regard.  I wish I could pull up the number of sorties the P-51 has, I think that would be very telling.  I'd be willing to bet that the reason the P-51D is a "top killer every month" is because it probably has the most sorties every month.  And to be fair, the P-51D is far from the "path of least resistance."  The BnZ tactic may be, but the plane?  Absolutely not.

The P-51D is not easy to be good at.  Which characteristic makes it a "stone cold killer" over other aircraft, exactly?

People are taking a tactic (BnZ) and saying that it's because the plane isn't perked.  Imagine how much more timid Pony pilots would be if they had to PAY to fly it?  Perking this aircraft will accomplish NOTHING.  I just see no statistic that points to it's dominance over any aircraft in LW.  It has the most kills, yes, but the K/D ratio indicates that is a product of number of sorties, and not aircraft dominance.
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline RedTop

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2011, 06:22:07 PM »
want the mustang perked? fine.
i want your 109k4
spit16
190D-9
perked.

perk those along with the mustang, and we have a deal.  :aok

Agreed...and I don't fly the K4 or D9.

But if the 51 D was ever perked...I have 32000 fighter perks....so I could care less :neener:
Original Member and Former C.O. 71 sqd. RAF Eagles

Offline Dadsguns

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2011, 06:34:44 PM »
If your only flying the 51 as a BnZ plane your missing an entire different part of its capabilities, the best part of it if you will, a very capable and effective flap fighter. 
We were talking about that today with another plane, the C2 is another hidden jem that people fail to learn properly.  BNZ is a style of flying that is not my style, but its effective when needed and not needed ALL the time.  Some planes handle as well as the 51 under flaps,  I would much rather scrap using flaps, stall, roll tactics, which seem much more effective.

"Your intelligence is measured by those around you; if you spend your days with idiots you seal your own fate."

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2011, 07:22:55 PM »
all the good planes get called names - but then they fly some other lw airplane or modified plane or whatever as if thats any better.

I think th perk system is fine - if anything - I would unperk the 14 too. . .

fly the 14... youll see the major advantages it has over the other spits... Its amazing. Like a 51 on steroids high alt. and a 51 at low alts. I always land 5+ kills in it. cant do that in another spit to save my life
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2011, 08:19:27 PM »
Yes, we are.

People often pick a ride because it is their favorite one for historical reasons.  P-51D is probably one of the more popular aircraft in this regard.  I wish I could pull up the number of sorties the P-51 has, I think that would be very telling.  I'd be willing to bet that the reason the P-51D is a "top killer every month" is because it probably has the most sorties every month.  And to be fair, the P-51D is far from the "path of least resistance."  The BnZ tactic may be, but the plane?  Absolutely not.

The P-51D is not easy to be good at.  Which characteristic makes it a "stone cold killer" over other aircraft, exactly?

People are taking a tactic (BnZ) and saying that it's because the plane isn't perked.  Imagine how much more timid Pony pilots would be if they had to PAY to fly it?  Perking this aircraft will accomplish NOTHING.  I just see no statistic that points to it's dominance over any aircraft in LW.  It has the most kills, yes, but the K/D ratio indicates that is a product of number of sorties, and not aircraft dominance.

I was waiting for the "they fly it for it's history" routine.  From what I remember, The WWII aircraft that I heard about most were Spitfires (Battle of Britain Spit I - you know the ones that everybody ignores for the much more historically significant Spit XVI.) and the P-40s of The Flying Tigers.  Mustangs, Corsairs and Thunderbolt were prominently mentioned, but not like the Spits and Warhawks.  Not too many fly the P-40B or Spit I despite the history book hype. 

They fly the 51D because its fast as hell.  It gives an opponent less time to evade and on defense, it allows the Mustang to run, zoom and come screaming back in on the offensive.  Why if it is so unremarkable a performer, does it still draw such a big following?

And I don't want it perked at all.  Someone mentioned that it should be 8 ENY again and I disagreed because of its popularity.  As far as aircraft "dominance", I never said or inferred such a thing. 
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline skorpion

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2011, 08:23:32 PM »
fly the 14... youll see the major advantages it has over the other spits... Its amazing. Like a 51 on steroids high alt. and a 51 at low alts. I always land 5+ kills in it. cant do that in another spit to save my life
well thats just you. i see no difference between a spit8 and a 14, i can do well in both but its the pilot not the plane

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #55 on: January 03, 2011, 08:47:06 PM »
They fly the 51D because its fast as hell.  It gives an opponent less time to evade and on defense, it allows the Mustang to run, zoom and come screaming back in on the offensive.  Why if it is so unremarkable a performer, does it still draw such a big following?

The reason for the popularity of the Mustang in Aces High and in other online flight sims over the years is because of the reputation it gained during the war.  People want to fly the plane that the History Channel says won the air war over Europe.

People that have cried and whined to have the P-51D perked have failed to show why it needs to be perked other than their attempts to try and use usage stats as their primary data to get the plane perked.

Those numbers from the stat page you posted earlier don't help to prove your point either as those numbers only show the number of kills but that's it, it doesn't show how those kills were derived.  Because those numbers do not paint the complete picture, it is useless to use those stats as the basis to call into question whether or not the P-51D needs to be perked. 

Here is an example of what I'm trying to explain.  A couple years ago someone was trying to get the P-38J perked in the Midwar Arena because the P-38J was the number one killer in the arena for at least 4-5 tours at the end of 2008 beginning of 2009.  The 2nd place plane (the Hellcat) lagged behind by hundreds of kills as the gap between #1 and #2 was that wide, so this player wanted the P-38J perked because of the stats being reflected from its usage and kills in the MW arena.  If you were to look at the stats alone, then you might agree that yeah, the P-38J did deserve a slight perk because of the numbers it generated but when one started to look further into it, those numbers the P-38J put up during those months was very misleading.  It turns out that four players were responsible for 30% of the P-38J's numbers in the MW arena during that period and factoring out the numbers from those 4 P-38J pilots, the stats for the P-38J were far lower and gave a more accurate portrayal of the P-38J's effectiveness in the MW arena and clearly showed that the P-38J definitely didn't need to be perked.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 08:57:25 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2011, 09:43:53 PM »
well thats just you. i see no difference between a spit8 and a 14, i can do well in both but its the pilot not the plane

Wrong Skorpion, the Spit XIV is a beast and deserves to be perked. I would guess you have never flown it..it is a monster.

As far as the C-Hog goes it is perked for a reason. It has the ability to really dominate in the arena. It was perked for just that reason years ago. Probably the best ride in the game and had a huge impact prior to being perked.

RTR
The Damned

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2011, 10:05:00 PM »
Wrong Skorpion, the Spit XIV is a beast and deserves to be perked.

Absolutely not perk worthy.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2011, 10:22:19 PM »
What brings you to that conclusion?  Despite all the "noobs" flying it and its supposed lack of uberness, it still has way more kills than any other plane in the game.  Also not a bad K/D ratio for all that useage (kind of like how mediocre the M-4/76 and WW are  ;)).  And if it is really not all that great, why does it get flown so much? It is just fine at 5 ENY.

(Image removed from quote.)

edit: I know you said it was not on the low end of the uber scale Eskimo, I threw that in there because of all the people that claim it is nothing special.
What I find interesting . . . and I could be wrong, but . . . I think its usage (as measured by total kills + total deaths) has gone up recently compared to the other "big 4" aircraft (La-7, Spixteen, Nik being the other three traditionally).

What's changed?  It's ENY went to a 5 from an 8.  This would seem to indicate a large population is still flocking to what they think is the "best" non-perked aircraft based on ENY.

Only slightly playing devil's advocate, perhaps a return of the 51's ENY to 8 and the others to a 5 again would lower it's usage vs. the others.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: January 03, 2011, 11:50:53 PM »
Most will put their flight into attack mode while doing this anyway, so the K/D is probably fairly accurate.

Stats page doen't take into account what mode you fly in.  It's purely Kills to Deaths.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay