Author Topic: How to get training films  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Hollywood

• Zinc Member
How to get training films
« on: January 01, 2011, 04:53:13 AM »
I notice people asking for films showing examples of good flying.  For a number of reasons it is hard to find good film collections.  I have some suggestions for newer pilots on how to build their own film collection.

First of all film every engagement you go into.  Then look at the ones where you entered an engagement where there were several planes flying for your side and for the opposition and where you survived for a while.  It helps to rename a film when you save it to give it a descriptive name or just tag it as a useful film.  Now in the film viewer don't watch yourself but click on another pilot and watch the engagement from that pilot's point of view.  Look for pilots that are doing well, who got several kills or who survived when outnumbered.  Figure out what acm they were using, when and why. What was their strategy.  How did they use their plane's strengths against other planes weaknesses and how did they compensate for their own planes weaknesses.  In general just watch and see what you can learn.  Oh and turn trails on and watch the engagement again at a slow rate of speed (I like 25%) for as many times as you like.  Also watch to see what views the pilot is using and when.  Watch one pilot and then watch an opponent they are engaged with to see how they are both reacting to each others moves.  If you have trouble surviving for even a little while you might want to take up a plane and just circle above an engagement and film.  Give yourself enough altitude that you are safe from being shot down.  If you do get shot down just try again.

Another thing to do is if you want to see good flying in a particular plane find a pilot who is good in that plane.  Ask to join them and if they agree then type .join followed by the player's name (typed exactly as it is on the roster or radio conversation) into the text chat buffer.  Now you will see them flying from the pilot's point of view from their own cockpit.  Film the engagements that you ride along for for later viewing.  Perhaps you might even get the player to explain on vox what he/she is doing and why.  Lots of players will be happy to help you.  One thing to be aware of is that many of the absolute top aces fly rather strangely.  They are experts at exploiting every quirk of their particular airplane and do odd things such as putting themselves into vulnerable positions in order to coax other players to engage them.  It is probably better to find a player that is maybe not the best but still very good and flies more conventionally to learn from.

A source of flying footage is youtube where you can find films in youtube format (find a youtube grabber to download and save them or just watch them as many times as you need to online).  Youtube doesn't have the features of the aces high film viewer of course but this is a source of films and there is quite a bit there.

Films are very valuable learning tools so building your own film library will help you to improve much more quickly than just learning from trial and error.  Oh and google to find and read everything you can on how to fly, this will help you to understand the films you are watching. 

I hope this helps.

Offline Hollywood

• Zinc Member
Re: How to get training films
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2011, 08:27:53 PM »
I have an idea.  Why not turn this thread into a place to post and share the films you make.  We can probably build up a good collection rather quickly.  Please include information on what type of engagement it is, pilots to watch etc.  No doubt as time goes on the older films will become unviewable because of changes to the film viewer but we can keep posting new ones to keep the collection current.  Good pilots can also post films of themselves flying and this would be greatly appreciated by the newer players I am sure.  Links to especially good youtube films you find are a good idea too.

Let's go for it and see what we can build.

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 07:37:20 AM »
Do you work for TCM, Hollywood? Ted don't have enough classics wants AH classics too? :rofl

<S> Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline Hollywood

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 05:23:06 AM »
I don't work for anybody but myself.  I am just trying to do something for the AH community.  Who is TCM?

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 06:49:50 AM »
I don't work for anybody but myself.  I am just trying to do something for the AH community.  Who is TCM?

Ha Ha Ha............so how old do you feel now Oz?

<S> Hollywood, Im sure this will help the newer players......good idea
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 06:53:00 AM »
"Who is TCM?" Turner Classic Movies, ie the old movie channel on cable.

Offline bcadoo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 12:30:22 PM »
I have an idea.  Why not turn this thread into a place to post and share the films you make.  We can probably build up a good collection rather quickly.  Please include information on what type of engagement it is, pilots to watch etc.  No doubt as time goes on the older films will become unviewable because of changes to the film viewer but we can keep posting new ones to keep the collection current.  Good pilots can also post films of themselves flying and this would be greatly appreciated by the newer players I am sure.  Links to especially good youtube films you find are a good idea too.

Let's go for it and see what we can build.

You do realize there is a whole forum for films and screenshots, right?
The fight is the fun........Don't run from the fun!
"Nothin' cuts the taste of clam juice like a big hunk o' chocolate" - Rosie O'Donnell

Offline Hollywood

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 01:22:47 AM »
Yes I do realize there is such a forum but when I go there I find that much of what is there is not in .ahf format and a lot of it seems to be for artistic purposes.  What I am aiming for is a collection solely in .ahf format that is appropriate for training purposes for newer pilots, say from newbies to middling skill all conveniently located and labeled as to contents.  People looking for films should then be able to search for exactly what they want if the descriptions are detailed enough.  People can also make requests for specific kinds of films.  What I am trying to do is create a training film library that is especially helpful for newbies.  I think the training forum is an appropriate place to do this.  If not Skuzzy will move it.

Offline Hollywood

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 02:41:38 AM »
Here is a film where I engage a 109K in my 190D 1 on 1.  After a long fencing match where we are both using our energy fighting skills he/she manages to gain angles on me in a fairly co-energy state and I am forced to dive out.  The 109 cannot follow me very well above 450 mph and let's me go.  I then dive on a spit and he/she pulls off a perfect reversal and nails me.  I then run to the wrong  :uhoh ack and then use my speed to get away.  I blow the ditch and I crash.  Pilots to watch are AnglEyes and Arcange1.

http://rapidshare.com/files/441411844/this_109_is_good.ahf

Someone let me know if they are able to download the film please.

Offline Hollywood

• Zinc Member
furballs
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2011, 03:39:26 AM »
Here are some many vs. many furballs.  Perhaps someone with more time than me can figure out which pilots to watch, even if you are a newbie.  Just figure out who lasts the longest and who gets the most kills.

http://rapidshare.com/files/441405589/posts.zip

Offline Hollywood

• Zinc Member
my collection
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2011, 04:19:19 AM »
Here is my collection of films I have collected by other pilots.  I presume they are in the public domain :bolt:

http://rapidshare.com/files/441405686/Other_pilots.zip

Offline Hollywood

• Zinc Member
high altitude furballing
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 05:41:19 AM »
Here is a long one of a big hi alt furball.  The film lasts a long time so there is lots to see.  Pilots that I think are worth watching are Chuggin, FastTone, Pand and Solar10.  I am sure there are many more but these are just the Rooks that I picked up on in a quick viewing.  For heavens sake don't watch me!  :joystick:  Some of the movement you see watching these pilots may be because AH is not updating all of the planes quickly enough to keep it smooth. 

http://rapidshare.com/files/441596557/hi_alt_furballing_post.ahf

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2011, 09:12:24 AM »
I found some excellent train film on YouTube call Requiem Training films. They use WWI planes in the demos and they are narrated very well.

Offline Hollywood

• Zinc Member
duelling arena
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2011, 08:04:16 AM »
In which your hmbl corespondant encounters several ruffians in the dueling arena.

http://rapidshare.com/files/442139923/DA_post.ahf

The dueling arena is where the best sticks in the game hang out.  This is film of a night I spent there in the furballing area.  Most of these pilots are better than I am which is why I get shot down a lot more than I do the shooting.  I won't single out any one pilot to watch, almost all of them are worth watching.  There are 1 vs 1, several vs 1 and  several vs several fights.

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2011, 09:24:21 AM »
Maybe they are better because most of them are flying and firing from F-3 mode in the DA.