Author Topic: Why the Hordes?  (Read 23099 times)

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
Re: Why the Hordes?
« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2011, 02:04:03 PM »
SYSTEM: You shot down oMastin_Toowaliga_Labba_Kaddn eesa_Kadwaliga_Landa_ForSunBa to
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline sky25

• Nickel Member
« Reply #106 on: January 03, 2011, 02:37:54 PM »
I want to be leet and have a twelve character handle name too.  Ask vWintergreen how he got all those chars cuz my name is only 5 characters and I want one that is at least 10.   :furious

Forgive me Grizz. vWNTRGRN is actually the correct call sign..

sky25  "Vsky" In The Game

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #107 on: January 03, 2011, 02:43:15 PM »
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2011, 02:47:20 PM »

:rofl 2 notorious hording squad`s whoda thunk

Who?

POTW hardly gets past 10 members a night, only on Titanic Tuesday do we get 15+.

We'd much prefer to up a bunch of I16s into a horde than be that horde.  :aok
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 02:50:31 PM by Krupinski »

Offline usvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #109 on: January 03, 2011, 02:52:49 PM »

A notorious whinner whoda thunk?  :D
"Come with me and I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow." -Unteroffizer/Feldwebel Rolf Steiner

~POTW-Second Wing~
http://www.pigsonthewing.org/index.php

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: January 03, 2011, 03:12:38 PM »
Forgive me Grizz. vWNTRGRN is actually the correct call sign..

Lame, I thought he had unlocked the secrets of 8+ charactered names.  Back to your regular scheduled program.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #111 on: January 03, 2011, 03:12:57 PM »
well at least it was him and not his shade, busting the Horde is much more gratifying
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #112 on: January 03, 2011, 03:52:38 PM »

There is only one tool (to my knowledge) that has been proven to limit the effects of horde tendancies within such a game as AH.

two-six-two
AoM
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2011, 04:35:58 PM »
Wow! Tell the truth and they come out of the woodwork after you!!

Your version of the truth comes across alot like a noob with a chip on his shoulder, to me anyway.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2011, 04:42:11 PM »

Apparently YOU didn't "thunk" before you posted. :rolleyes:
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2011, 04:48:39 PM »
In reading this thread, a` couple things popped into my head from the old Airwarrior days.  It was a small enough 'community' that when you arrived you got the message really quickly.  Those who went against the 'code' were for the most part universally disdained, and because of that peer pressure, many took the next step up in playing the game.  Yes it was much more combat oriented.  With the far larger numbers in AH, it's much easier to get lost in the crowd, and whatever peer pressure there is tends to stress belonging to a big squad and fitting in that way.

Another thing that occurred to me was that there are a lot of complaints here about maps not changing fast enough.  One thing that happened in Airwarrior with the limited maps, was people tended to work out of the same areas and you knew where the fight would be. The maps were smaller too so there was no real way to work around combat.

I'm not suggesting a change or expecting one.  But seeing the responses of folks justifying the hordes, it speaks to that change from combat to conquest that the game seems to have taken.

Clearly there are still guys who are willing to up into the mob as long as they can and try and take a few down.  I believe those are the exception to the rule however these days.  And there are clearly those who still crave the ACM part of the game.  But even many of those guys in fighting the horde don't do it from below, but in perk birds that they use to club the baby seals.

It seemed clear that HTC was looking for the split arenas to help retain some of that community peer pressure.  On any given night you can pop between the arenas and if one country is hording in one arena, they are getting horded in the other.

No idea what the answer is to provide some sort of balanced fighting in all the arenas.  
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2011, 04:53:18 PM »
Precisely.  There is no mechanic in place to stop hording.  I am pretty sure it's impossible to implement a mechanic that can stop hording without killing the game.  The mentality in all online games is to win within the 'rules' set down by the game mechanics.  Not by the rules people seek to have people follow out of their good graces, but of what the game mechanics will allow you to do within the game.

If it's possible ingame, someone will do it regardless of how 'unfair' it may be to the other side.

Wiley.

OK so what we've come up with so far is that the horde is pretty much a "social behavior". Safety in numbers, the feeling of accomplishment for those that don't have a lot of accomplishment on their own. The flying with others to make friends, and the drive to win no matter the consequences.

Wiley, a question to you. If your ingame name is Wiley, it shows you have been here less than a year, but not much less. From your comments it looks like you like hordes, at least being in one, I don't know many people who like getting trampled by one  :D . Do you feel you are getting all you can out of the game? From your score ( I know it is very subjective) it looks like you play different parts of the game, GV fighters buffs altho the buffs and GV look more like bringin troops in, but it also looks like your not showing any real improvement  in any of the areas of the game. That's why I'm asking. Are you happy with what your getting out of the game?

Do you look to get to be a better fight jock? Do you look to get better at dive bombing? Do you look to get better at tanks? It looks to me, and has been mentioned by many that a lot of the players that run in the horde do so because they want the protection that their lack of skill can not provide. I think running in a horde may also lead to players NOT learning to get better. Why would they have to, they have 30-40 of their closest friends to cover their back. Wiley, do you feel that running in a horde is slowing your learning in the game, or does it not even enter your mind because your happy play as you are?

I'm not trying to pick on you, but you do seem to fit the demographic that we are talking about here. I'd just like to here your point of view, like I said at the beginning, why run in a horde?

AKs, LTARs, JG3-udet, etc. a few of the squads that were fun to fight with or against.

This is another thing, what changed and why don't we have squads like this any more? There are hundreds of squads in this game. Many are of a good size and could work a battle, or defend against one. Why don't you see more squad rivalries like we use to have? What changed? Personally I think the players looking for the quickest and easiest solution to grab land and AVOID combat. As the game has progressed along those lines the new players see "that's how it's done" and they continue with it.

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2011, 04:55:54 PM »
In reading this thread, a` couple things popped into my head...

You were a poet,
And u didn't even no that u were won of those poet guys...
AoM

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
Hordes are a product of the mission planners.

Not really. The one thing the mission planner has the least control over is who shows up for the mission. And 30-40 plane missions are pretty rare. If you see a horde that size, what most likely happened is that 12-15 guys joined the mission and 20-30 other guys decided to follow along for easy kills once they saw a big green blob dominating an enemy base. After that, if it doesn't fizzle out, the horde pretty much takes on its own momentum without anyone leading it and usually without missions being posted. Usually half the guys, sometimes all of them, don't even care about taking bases, they just want to circle around competing for vulches.

Also, I think you vastly overestimate the extent of tactical control the mission leader is able to exert over the people flying a mission. Try running a big mission sometime, it's like herding cats. You have a pretty random group of guys who happened to show up, it's not like running a squad with a well-defined command structure and members who've trained and worked together. It's hard enough getting a mob like that to follow any but the most basic tactical plan - climb or NOE, flatten the field or leave it up - and assigning targets so at least everything vital gets taken down; anything beyond that is just about impossible to coordinate. And you have no idea of the skill level of most of the guys there, so you can't rely on anything getting done without multiply redundant assignments. Sending half the group to do something else, somewhere else almost guarantees that something vitally important won't get done right here, right now.

And you never know who's actually going to show up until it launches, or even how many - people pop in and out, and some who have joined will get bored and up somewhere else, or not have landed yet, and so miss the launch. Sometimes you have 8 or 10 people actually in the mission 30 seconds before launch only to find 20 actually taking off. Sometimes it's closer to the reverse. Telling half of a motley gang like that to land, up at another base, and go hit a different target isn't remotely practical - for one thing, they didn't sign on to join your squad or make you Generalissimo for the evening, they signed on to fly along for that one mission, the one you posted. They may or may not have any interest in doing anything else you have in mind.

And most guys who plan and run missions - and anyone who wants people to show up the next time he runs one - think it more polite to thank people for joining than to tell them to buzz off.

In essence you are looking at hordes as well-coordinated actions of a few squads working closely together to a common purpose, when they aren't like that at all. A mob of 40 players cannot be subdivided into two or three well-coordinated, skilled groups of 12-20 players the way you suggest. That simply isn't what they're made of. They act like big, uncoordinated, leaderless mobs because they are big, uncoordinated, leaderless mobs. There may or may not be a smaller core of people actually working well together within that mob. There may or may nor be a mission planner who launched the group toward one objective and made some attempt to coordinate their actions - but if there is, trust me, that's pretty much the extent of his ability to direct the action. Acting as Commander-in-Chief of all Bishop (or Rook, or Knight) Forces and coordinating multiple attacks at multiple enemy targets by large numbers of otherwise unaffiliated players simply is not within the capabilities offered by the game. It certainly isn't something the Mission tool allows anyone to do.

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2011, 05:24:48 PM »
Not really. BLAH BLAH BLAH.

Huh?
See Rule #4