Author Topic: Why the Hordes?  (Read 23519 times)

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
Re: Why the Hordes?
« Reply #195 on: January 05, 2011, 11:33:32 AM »
We were having some wickedly fun hordes the other day.  BAR was throwing up things like JU-87 and B-25H hordes, and I honestly can say it's that kind of stuff that makes the game so fun.  Huge number of players working together to attack things.

The best part was, I don't think we ever took a base... lol
I'm Sector95 in-game! :-D

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #196 on: January 05, 2011, 12:14:54 PM »
Again we run into a definition problem. To me, a horde is an overwhelming force the rolls bases. The missions Sectornine50 mention are NOT hordes. They are groups that while some times over sized have no other purpose than fun. Us SAPPers call them "candy mountain" mission (and no I will not post the link to the Charlie and the candy mountain video!). Those missions don't do any damage, and encourage combat only if just to see a bunch of guys form up a drop torpedoes on a town ( don't ask)

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #197 on: January 05, 2011, 12:34:02 PM »
We were having some wickedly fun hordes the other day.  BAR was throwing up things like JU-87 and B-25H hordes, and I honestly can say it's that kind of stuff that makes the game so fun.  Huge number of players working together to attack things.

The best part was, I don't think we ever took a base... lol

yes that was great fun being one of the defenders, that style of attacking gameplay if fun, we knew you were coming and so on, I honestly can't remember either if they took it but defending was fun that night,  i think what alot of people are Referring to as the Horde© is this, Very large group of low skilled pilots who feel safer in extremely large numbers, they arrive on target 15k+ in there typical fast planes all dive in with no real assigned targets, kill one or two people then once any kind of threat shows up they scamper off, you try to chase them down but get bored and turn back, then some other place on the map will flash and its the same rinse and repeat.

What bar did was Epic Fun for both sides and looking forward to his next one  :aok
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #198 on: January 05, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »
The rooks are SLOWLY waking up to the reality that porking ords and troops--WORKS.

When we work as a team to pork our enemy's ability to wage a horde war--it WORKS.

If you do not enjoy being horded and losing bases, pork--it WORKS.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #199 on: January 05, 2011, 02:16:06 PM »
This isn't "War".  :aok
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #200 on: January 05, 2011, 02:34:53 PM »
This isn't "War".  :aok

No, but ROX has a point, and war strategies have merit.  There have been numerous times that a base of ours has been horded, and the fix to the problem was a counter-attack from another base.  The horde quickly dissipated due to A) them having a hard time getting out of that base w/ our CAP and B) losing ordinance makes taking a base less practical.

If you ask me, the horde is the easiest thing to defend, if you do it indirectly.  Hordes put a lot of resources on the attack, and don't leave much to defend, even the base they just left.

I don't know if any of you play RTS games, but the counter-attack is probably one of the most potent maneuvers you can do in those games, and I think it carries over in the same way to AH.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #201 on: January 05, 2011, 02:37:49 PM »
I never disputed the ordnance porking.  I was specific in my previous post.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline SectorNine50

• Silver Member
« Reply #202 on: January 05, 2011, 02:38:39 PM »
I never disputed the ordnance porking.  I was specific in my previous post.

Not that specific.  You didn't give any context, the only thing I could assume you were talking about was the previous post.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #203 on: January 05, 2011, 02:41:19 PM »
If I disputed "porking" the word would have been included/used.  However since it wasn't the object of the post, it wasn't needed.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #204 on: January 05, 2011, 02:54:03 PM »
I don't know if any of you play RTS games, but the counter-attack is probably one of the most potent maneuvers you can do in those games, and I think it carries over in the same way to AH.

Y'know, I'd never put it in as many words in my head but you're dead on.  It can be looked at like an RTS, except for the fact that the unit AI is somewhat unreliable and unpredictable.  :devil

As for it not being war, why is it a lot of the 'it's just a game' crowd use this as one of their main talking points, yet get bent out of shape when someone HO's/picks/vulches?  It's just a game, a HO costs you nothing, you get a bright shiny plane to up again immediately.  Why not do it?  If you're flying a bomber, why not bail after all your bombs have been dropped, it's just a game right?  In fact, why even bother to RTB ever?  Fly and kill til you're out of fuel and ammo, then auger.  There's no reason not to right?  It's just a game.

Nobody can expect everybody's goals ingame to be the same as theirs.  You've got everything from what I've described above, to people who do absolutely everything in their power to survive to RTB.  If it's possible in game, people do it.  The variety of styles results in unpredictable battles, which makes it a lot more fun than if everybody played one way.  Embrace diversity, people.  C'mon, who's up for a round of kum-ba-ya?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #205 on: January 05, 2011, 03:06:13 PM »
If I disputed "porking" the word would have been included/used.  However since it wasn't the object of the post, it wasn't needed.

I object to your use of the word "porking" and it's implied negative connotation.   :D
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #206 on: January 05, 2011, 03:08:28 PM »
If I get vultched or picked, it's my fault.

It takes two to HO.

I also don't bring in game events to the BBS.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #207 on: January 05, 2011, 03:21:43 PM »

Word to that! :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #208 on: January 05, 2011, 03:22:52 PM »
If I get vultched or picked, it's my fault.

It takes two to HO.

...But treating it like it's war, trying to survive, and doing everything possible to win is the wrong way to play?  Why?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #209 on: January 05, 2011, 03:26:34 PM »
You guys can attempt to try and play the semantics game all day long.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC