Author Topic: 109 nose cannon  (Read 33118 times)

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
Re: 109 nose cannon
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 01:01:15 PM »
Thanks Charge, like to see the diagram sometime if you come across it. I have a larger scale version of Luche's cutaway where you can read the labels if anyone's interested.
”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 01:50:56 PM »
...As you can see the crankshaft rotates the propeller shaft which is hollow and runs through the entire engine...
I don't *think* the prop shaft runs all the way to the rear of the engine... why would it?  The only thing that needs to run more slowly than the engine crankshaft is the propeller... right?  From the photos and diagrams that I've seen - including these - I think that the reduction gear housing on the front of the engine and the prop shaft *are* hollow.  The gun barrel does not pass through the engine block, rather in between the two banks of the inverted V-12 and then through the reduction gear housing and the prop shaft.  The axis of the propeller is below the axis of the engine crankshaft.

I *think*...?

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 02:00:46 PM »
 :rofl I went to the Doctor today to see why people keep ignoring me, and he said 'Next!'.
”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 05:29:32 PM »
Well if the blast tube didn't run in the V, then I would like those that think it didn't explain to me how the pistons and crankshaft were connected.

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 11:44:26 PM »
I don't *think* the prop shaft runs all the way to the rear of the engine... why would it?  The only thing that needs to run more slowly than the engine crankshaft is the propeller... right?  From the photos and diagrams that I've seen - including these - I think that the reduction gear housing on the front of the engine and the prop shaft *are* hollow.  The gun barrel does not pass through the engine block, rather in between the two banks of the inverted V-12 and then through the reduction gear housing and the prop shaft.  The axis of the propeller is below the axis of the engine crankshaft.

I *think*...?

As the reduction gear has to be off-set from the crank shaft, and the barrel is center-line with the prop nose-cone, you have to be right, mechanically!  :salute :cheers:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline Ruah

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 12:18:16 AM »
ok, more pics to help (and because its a cool engine)

and this

the gear is in the front for sure.  its basically upside down. . . and the shaft runs between the V which is more an A.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 12:20:04 AM by Ruah »

Kommando Nowotny
I/JG 77, 2nd Staffel
Mediterranean Maelstrom
HORRIDO

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 02:29:15 AM »
Here is a nice picture how it was done in H.S.12Y (Klimov M100 and M105):

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 01:58:10 PM »
Great images.  Thanks for posting!  :aok

Looks to me like the gears at the rear of these Daimler-Benz engines drove things like the supercharger and the intake/exhaust valves.  And with proper bevel gears and shafts!  No wimpy, weak chains for DB!

Even though the hub gun did not run through the engine block, it still must've gotten pretty toasty, snuggled up inside the apex of the engine's V.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline trap78

• AvA Staff Member
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 03:00:49 PM »
The DB series engine is an overhead cam design. However the engine block was still cast with a through hole where the camshaft for a conventional push rod set up would go. The cannon barrel went through this hole. The cannon could not be adjusted for elevation but fired straight ahead.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 03:25:17 PM »
trap78,

If you can provide documentation for the fact that the cannon could not be adjusted for elevation and then what that limited the real world impact point range to, HTC could coad that and eliminate the range adjustment in the hanger. Would be interesting to know how many hub mounted cannons in WW2 had no elevation adjustment due to the their relationship with the engine.

Or country specific data to what range their hub mounted cannon was set to.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »
The DB series engine is an overhead cam design. However the engine block was still cast with a through hole where the camshaft for a conventional push rod set up would go. The cannon barrel went through this hole. The cannon could not be adjusted for elevation but fired straight ahead.

the engines were mounted inverted to allow passage of a gun barrel
-AoM-

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2011, 03:41:54 PM »
trap78,

If you can provide documentation for the fact that the cannon could not be adjusted for elevation and then what that limited the real world impact point range to, HTC could coad that and eliminate the range adjustment in the hanger. Would be interesting to know how many hub mounted cannons in WW2 had no elevation adjustment due to the their relationship with the engine.

Or country specific data to what range their hub mounted cannon was set to.

wouldn't make a difference, almost all of the = 109 tator pilots, use the closest avail convergence, which I assume is the gun being level.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline trap78

• AvA Staff Member
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2011, 06:14:21 PM »
I'll should still have the reference material on the DB engines around here somewhere. I'm not posting for a code change. But think about the amount of drop a 30mm or 20mm projectile has at 200 or 300 yards. It's going to take some significant elevation adjustment to compensate for that. If you've ever seen a 109 with the engine panels off everything is a very tight fit. How are you going to angle the barrel up that much without moving the propeller assembly?

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2011, 06:27:41 PM »
I'll should still have the reference material on the DB engines around here somewhere. I'm not posting for a code change. But think about the amount of drop a 30mm or 20mm projectile has at 200 or 300 yards. It's going to take some significant elevation adjustment to compensate for that. If you've ever seen a 109 with the engine panels off everything is a very tight fit. How are you going to angle the barrel up that much without moving the propeller assembly?

The gunsight moves too.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline trap78

• AvA Staff Member
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2011, 09:07:43 PM »
Posted by Blooz:
The gunsight moves too.

Okay, this makes sense. You adjust your aim point as opposed to mechanically moving the barrel. Just like adjusting the scope on a hunting rifle right?