Author Topic: AvA Question  (Read 1318 times)

Offline NormH3

• Nickel Member
      • We do good things!
AvA Question
« on: January 07, 2011, 05:55:23 AM »
Did a little flying in AvA last night and got my butt kick very nicely. Need more PRACTICE. Here's the question....is it normal for the enemy planes not to have tags in this scenario? I noticed that all friendlies had them, but the bad guys didn't. Thanks in advance.

-Norm

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Re: AvA Question
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 06:10:50 AM »
Norm the AvA has been running with enemy icons off for months. Regulars in the arena enjoy it. It is an acquired taste though and with just a couple of hours invested in the arena you get the hang of it. Hope to see you continue to fly in the AVA.

<S>
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 06:41:37 AM by Shifty »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline NormH3

• Nickel Member
      • We do good things!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 07:42:03 AM »
Thanks for the fast reply. Just wanted to make sure something in my config wasn't goofed up. Does make it more realistic since you arent quite sure what you might be up against until the first pass. Hope to spend some time there.

-Norm
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 08:28:58 AM by NormH3 »

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 07:52:15 AM »

After a few days you will be able to actually ID what type of Aircraft it is by its silhouette from the same distance you would ID it with icons on.
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 08:03:36 AM »
Did a little flying in AvA last night and got my butt kick very nicely. Need more PRACTICE. Here's the question....is it normal for the enemy planes not to have tags in this scenario? I noticed that all friendlies had them, but the bad guys didn't. Thanks in advance.

-Norm

hey norm,

it is normal for there to be no icons on enemy planes. generally icons are on friendlies only 2.5k to 3.0k.

it generally takes about 4 hours or so of flying in this environment to get used to it. there really are only 2 simple differences between no icons, and icons. without icons, rather than looking for the big red "shoot hefre" banner, you look for the little dot(much the same as another aircraft looks in rl at that distance), and you have to learn to use your gunsight and judgement for shooting distances.
 you'll find that once you get in close and tight, it's best to stay there, as camo really does work.

check this page out...it's an excellent write-up by dawger with some tips.
http://www.avaarena.org/helpfultips.htm
 then peruse the rest of that site.

what was your impression of the arena? how did the fights feel(before ya died?)

hope to see you back soon. if you need help, ask on 200. most of us in there on a regular base will gladly help, even if it means our own demise. if you see me in there, i'll do what i can to help ya out. my ingame is in my sig line below, along with a link to the ava's main web page.

welcome to the madness sir!!

almost forgot.....watch out for that dichodog dude. he'll try to convert you to the dark side of jeep raids.  :devil
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 08:05:50 AM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 08:04:48 AM »
After a few days you will be able to actually ID what type of Aircraft it is by its silhouette from the same distance you would ID it with icons on.

ya know? i know when i'm on a 109 or a 190, but i still can't distinguish between the different sub-models....same for the japanese planes.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 08:05:01 AM »
Also it is a big help, to me at least, to read the MOTD to see what you 'might' be up against.  I'm definitely not an uber pilot but I find that I can tell what's around me these days by the sound of the engine if we're close and, as raven stated, a couple of rounds and you've got a pretty good idea of what you're up against.  A lot of good info that will answer most of your questions can be found here http://avaarena.webs.com/ along with tips to flying successfully in the arena.  

I'm somewhat biased but I find the immersion factor and the regulars both more enjoyable and challenging than in the mains (no slight intended).  Also with the changing plane sets every week it's forced me into rides that I never would have considered flying before and having some success with them.  

Hope to see you around and having as much fun as I do  :salute

JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 08:07:26 AM »
Thanks for the fast reply. Just wanted to make sure something in my config wasn't goofed up. Does make it more realistic since you arent quite sure what you might be up against until the first past. Hope to spend some time there.

-Norm

Due to the fact that a computer screen can't accurately duplicate human eyesight, neither icons off or on is entirely realistic.  We feel that having them off "feels" more realistic and enhances the challenge.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2011, 08:07:32 AM »
yea........i've been in the game for 5 or 6 years, and flown the p-40 exactly one time.....till i came to the ava. found that the p-40 e is actually a great ride. same for the hurricane mk1 :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline NormH3

• Nickel Member
      • We do good things!
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2011, 09:51:02 AM »
check this page out...it's an excellent write-up by dawger with some tips.
http://www.avaarena.org/helpfultips.htm
 then peruse the rest of that site.

what was your impression of the arena? how did the fights feel(before ya died?)

hope to see you back soon. if you need help, ask on 200. most of us in there on a regular base will gladly help, even if it means our own demise. if you see me in there, i'll do what i can to help ya out. my ingame is in my sig line below, along with a link to the ava's main web page.

welcome to the madness sir!!

almost forgot.....watch out for that dichodog dude. he'll try to convert you to the dark side of jeep raids.  :devil

I like the arena, not nearly as crowded as the Early, Mid, Late and not so much "run and gun" as the duel. I may become a regular although I haven't antied up for a subscription just yet. Need to pick up a new mic for comm use...maybe on the way home tonight. Have already signed up at the AvA website and will be checking it out soon. Thanks for the help.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 10:01:41 AM »
Hope to see ya there!

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 11:42:24 AM »
Have already signed up at the AvA website

yep, I just have found that site with the help of  CAP1's post with the link... didn't even knew it existed

just signed up there as a member.......

Dawger's helpful tips should be a must read for all new players to the AvsA, Good Writeup there Dawger  :aok

Good Job on the avaarena.org website jimson  :aok

hope to get in there and get back to mixing it up with ya'll in the AvsA

:cheers:
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 12:27:08 PM »
Oh thanks man, I was just hoping to get some members on there so we could more easily promote things by email etc.

Any ideas on how we can better get the website out there?

I'd like to have a couple of hundred players getting the weekly email blast.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 12:29:20 PM by jimson »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 12:30:01 PM »
for anyone else that didn't know about the ava website.....there is also a link in my sig line.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline NormH3

• Nickel Member
      • We do good things!
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 12:32:24 PM »
for anyone else that didn't know about the ava website.....there is also a link in my sig line.  :aok

exactly where I found it. I'm a wannabe P-38 driver as well.